z

Young Writers Society

Warsaw 1943

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:58 am
sabradan says...

I want to write a story/short story/part of a story about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943. I know all about the actual uprising (Z.O.B., Mordechai Anielewicz, etc) and I know about guns. What I want to know is more of Warsaw, specifically, and Poland in general, especially back during the early 1940s. What I mean is street names, types of building, neighborhoods, people who live there, cars and other modes of transportation at the time, behavior and beliefs of people at the time, and anything and everything else that you think would be relevant.

Thanks in advance.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

147 Reviews

Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:57 pm
sabradan says...

bump
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 85
Wed May 10, 2006 9:57 pm
pandoraswritings says...

Wasn't that named for the Warsaw pact to keep the peace?
Dani

147 Reviews

Wed May 10, 2006 11:05 pm
sabradan says...

pandoraswritings wrote:Wasn't that named for the Warsaw pact to keep the peace?
Dani

No. The Warsaw Pact is named after the city of Warsaw. I want to know about Warsaw during the second world war, as in, 1943-1944. The Warsaw pact was signed after the war.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:19 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Watch 'The Pianist' (with Adrien Brody), which is about Wladyslaw Szpilman's struggle to stay alive throughout Poland (mostly the Warsaw ghetto, I think) after Nazi artillery hits.

It could give you some perspective on regular life in Warsaw, and I'm sure some neighborhoods/streets are described throughout the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253474/
http://thepianistmovie.com/

There's also a documentary called 'The 912 Days of the Warsaw Ghetto', that I saw a while back. It's pretty good and presents a lot of info. Its only about 40 minutes long too.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

147 Reviews

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:22 am
sabradan says...

Awesome, Thanks.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:29 pm
Prosithion says...

Well, being Poland in the early 1940's, it would have been during WWII. There Nazi's would have occupied, Poland and the Jew's would be all in Ghetto's. US would or almost would be in in the war, and France has fallen. Therefore, Warsaw would be a pretty unhappy place. There would be Nazi soldiers on almost every street.Only the wealthy in Warsaw would have cars in any type of operating condition, and the city would probably be pretty dirty because no one wants to be out while the nazi's are there. Hope I'm helpful.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

147 Reviews

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:36 am
sabradan says...

Prosithion wrote:Well, being Poland in the early 1940's, it would have been during WWII. There Nazi's would have occupied, Poland and the Jew's would be all in Ghetto's. US would or almost would be in in the war, and France has fallen. Therefore, Warsaw would be a pretty unhappy place. There would be Nazi soldiers on almost every street.Only the wealthy in Warsaw would have cars in any type of operating condition, and the city would probably be pretty dirty because no one wants to be out while the nazi's are there. Hope I'm helpful.

Reas, thanks for the attempt, but you're only telling me things I already know. But thanks for the attempt!

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:35 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

Hows the story going, Dan?

Also, the book 'Milkweed' by Jerry Spinelli is about kids surviving during a Nazi attack in Poland, as I am told.

Some of the dominating streets and avenuess in Warsawa are Torunska, Grochowska, Targowa, Wybrzeze Gdryskie and Polczyriska.

I would also recommend reading the memoirs of Wladyslaw Szpilman.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:18 am
Wiggy says...

Google. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:15 pm
Prosithion says...

sorry. Well, I thought I answered your question pretty thoroughly.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

Reviews: 1
Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:43 pm
Darek says...

Hey, if you need anything translated into polish send me a pm.

Maybe you could ask some old people, erm...I mean elderly folks who lived in poland during this time. And yes, the Pianist is very good.

"If fortis was here, we could have a teal party"
— Pompadour