z

Young Writers Society

Know Latin?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:09 am
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

Ok, so I'm studying up on vampirs for my, hopefully successful, story and I come across something I never knew, but is highly interesting.

Something along the lines of: it's more effective to say a prayer in Latin to eradicate a vampire than in english (along with the holy water and all of that)

I was wondering if anybody knew any Latin and if I PM'd or emailed or chatted with them would help. I am sure the online sites have been giving me the right words but it's where I place the words which confuse me....

So far I have the words in Latin:

Donec aurora! --Until dawn!
Lamia Occisor (Vampire Slayer)
Lamia -- vampire

I would love some help... and if there is a site out there to help me let me know.
(This proves I am not bilingual *cries*)

Random avatar

Reviews: 31
Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:21 am
View Likes
cathy says...

Yeah, I think they are all right. Did you search on the Internet for Latin? I do Latin at school, but i searched on the Internet "Latin Dictionary" and the top link takes you to a good site
There’s nothing to do, There’s nothing to see
There’s no where to go, There’s no where to be
I’m just sitting alone, In this empty room
Writing my poem, I’m over the moon

Random avatar

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:58 am
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

Yeah I typed in that and hit the first link lol....

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:25 pm
View Likes
Sophie says...

Hmm... Well I don't speak Latin properly, I only know little words like colours and emotions.

Umm... "In vinas veritas" means: when drunk, the truth comes out. In wine is truth. But I don't know how that would help.

Why not go find a monk?
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:52 pm
View Likes
Areida says...

LOL... I'm in my third year of Latin, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, Liz. I've got some Latin dictionaries and stuff lying around, so if you need a words checked or something, I could try and help you out. Don't trust those online translators explicitly. They're evil.

XD
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:36 pm
View Likes
Duskglimmer says...

Most online translators should be double checked against another source (perferably not one that's online).

I only know small bits of latin since I learn roots and root words and phrases from my vocabulary book instead of from an actual Latin textbook. So, I'm afraid I can't help you, but it sounds like Ari is mroe than willing.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:20 pm
View Likes
volleychik992 says...

Foreign Languages are my hobby!

Someone asked what "in vino veritas" means-- translated, it means "there is truth in wine," or, under the influence of alcohol, people are more apt to tell their secrets. I don't know much Latin, but I do know some, even though I have never taken a class in it. I could probably help, especially if you ever need help with romance languages (Spanish, French, Portugese, Romanian...) Good luck!

For phrases and other things, go to http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html. Believe me, it will help!
"A people without history is like wind in the buffalo grass."

-Sioux Proverb

Random avatar

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

Thank you everybody
*feels loved*
Next year I'm taking French so believe me I'll need a lot of help on that....

But now it's all about Vampires and Latin :P

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:39 pm
View Likes
Araidne says...

Well, for Latin prayers, I would try a Catholic Chruch.
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:49 am
View Likes
bubblewrapped says...

I'm taking Latin at university this year so I know a wee bit; let me know via PM if you need any help. The only prayer in Latin I know though is the Lords' prayer - that is, part of it, hehe. But dont trust online latin dictionaries. As Ari said, they're evil! lol
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

I'd agree with what other people have said - online dictionaries are tres evil!! :? Only use them if you know what you're doing to begin with.. As much as I'd like to be able to help with latin, I can't really. I'd just say that you should talk to someone who knows latin already, and NOT TRUST DICTIONARIES!! lol :P
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

Reviews: 4
Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:31 pm
View Likes
_Anti_ says...

I'm doing Latin for GCSE after doing it for three years. Whilst I'm far from being an expert, I can help you with your declensions and cases (in other words, how to write each word depending on where it is for the sentence). Hope I can be of assistance.

PS. I agree with online dictionaries, but there are a few sites that can help you just in general. :wink:

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:15 pm
View Likes
Wiggy says...

Yikes, I used to take it...bad memories lol. I now take Russian, so if anyone needs help on that, pm me or Imp, the ultmate Russian master! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner