z

Young Writers Society

Calling all language experts!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:43 pm
Fishr says...

I am trying to translate, nous combattons vaillamment.

I'm not sure if it's Latin or some obscure form of French. I found the text in an old book, and I'm REALLY curious of it's meaning. Alas, I never studied languages in school. :(

Tried those free Latin and French translators with no real success too.

Help, El Stupideo? :D
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:58 pm
Leja says...

I'd wager a guess that it's French becausehere's Google's result when I used the simple translation to French

"We are fighting valiantly" is the text it returns.

Alas, I believe you really have to know Latin to be able to translate it [scrambled/non word order and all that jazz; "hunting for the verb" my friends call it], so if it does have a Latin meaning, it's Greek to me.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:59 pm
Twit says...

I'm guessing French, too. "Nous" is "we", I think. I really don't think it's Latin.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:03 pm
Fishr says...

Awesome! Thanks guys for your input.

I think it means, We are fighting valiantly, like someone said, thanks to Google, and to Linds too. :D

Cheers
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:48 am
Emerson says...

French! French darling. ^_^

Literally: we combat valiantly. So, better yet: we fight valiantly. :D

If you ever have something you suspect is French, PM me and I will do my best.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan