z

Young Writers Society

Why Stars are important to society

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:47 pm
McMourning says...

I'm writing a series of articles (basically a newsletter) for my friends, who are so different minded that it's a wonder they all get along. Anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to show them my view on this topic, because I know they all think differently about it.

The problem is that I don't know how to get started. Sure, celebrities are important to society, because they provide entertainment. But, what else do they provide us with? Or, how is entertainment important?

Thanks in advance!
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

236 Reviews

Reviews: 236
Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:36 pm
View Likes
carelessaussie13 says...

Celebrities are important to us because they show us a side of life that is, to us, perfect. They show up in their perfect dresses and suits, perfectly done make up with their perfect hair, smiling perfect smiles, and we envy them for that. We follow their lives because we are divided. We half want them to succeed, to continue their perfect lives, and we half want to see them stumble, as if to convince us that they are only human too, and even the most perfect life is really not perfect at all.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway.
“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:46 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Well, the existence of celebrities has ultimately a negative impact on society, in my opinion. Their existence, however, is also inevitable. Many young people try to model their lives in such a way that they are similar to these celebrities, while many celebrities haven't even had to wipe their own arse or know how to not be completely irrational.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:56 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

MisterWaffles has it in a nutshell: the existance of celebs is inevitable. Sure, they give us entertainment, and I'm not saying I don't enjoy the entertainment they give us, because I do. (Man, I do!) But they have too much influence over some people. I mean, if someone, I don't know, Orlando Bloom endorsed having a fat waist, there's be millions of teenage fan girls who'd immediately start stuffing themselves in order to be exactly what Orlando Bloom said was cool. Maybe that's a little extreme, but you get the gist of it.

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Random avatar

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:00 pm
View Likes
McMourning says...

carelessaussie13 wrote: and we half want to see them stumble, as if to convince us that they are only human too, and even the most perfect life is really not perfect at all.

I kind of like that point of view. That ties back to what I said about they entertain us...They're perfect-seeming lives keep us drawn in, and we want them to mess up. Maybe split their dresses on the red carpet. And, then when they do, they entertain us more, because we've got tens of news reports covering that.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:11 pm
View Likes
McMourning says...

MisterWaffles wrote:Many young people try to model their lives in such a way that they are similar to these celebrities, while many celebrities haven't even had to wipe their own arse or know how to not be completely irrational.

You've brought up an interesting point. Celebs could be to blame for eating disorders, as teen girls want to have these celebrity bodies.
And, things like being completely irrational is why many people watch them, I suppose. Isn't that how Paris Hilton is in her fifth season of the Simple Life? Obviously, someones watch her, probably for that reason.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:21 pm
View Likes
McMourning says...

ShadowTwit wrote:if someone, I don't know, Orlando Bloom endorsed having a fat waist, there's be millions of teenage fan girls who'd immediately start stuffing themselves in order to be exactly what Orlando Bloom said was cool. Maybe that's a little extreme, but you get the gist of it.

No, it's not at all extreme.
People receive entertainment from the opinions of they're favourite celebs. They laugh at eccentric, stupid, or just plan silly thoughts. That's why people watch interviews with celebs--so they can hear their thoughts, and be entertained by the crazy way some people think.

Thanks to all three of you! I've gotten some great ideas from you. I'm able to use they're "negative effects on society" as reasons people are entertained by them, and write my article. Thanks so much!

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:32 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

You are very welcome. Just remember to use the edit button next time rather than triple-posting. :wink:

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:36 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

That's alright, and I like the triple posting. :)
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare