Young Writers Society

Copyrights of stories?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:15 am
Snoink says...

I looked this up a while ago, but I need a refresher. :P

After searching the web for a whole bunch of short stories and getting my favorites list clogged with them, I thought of putting the short stories and poems in my own website, for easy reference. Most of these short stories and poems are old and I see them all over the web anyway. Still, I want it to remain legal. Is there anything about the copyrights of short stories and poems that I should be aware of? :?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:27 am
View Likes
Trident says...

Well, if they're in the public domain (earlier than 1923) than they're free game. You can post them. After that... well, I think it depends.

The best way to go about it would be to ask the permission of the authors. If it's anonymous, I believe you can post it. Stories are rarely anonymous, but some poetry is.

Usually links are okay, unless someone is a poopy-head and asks you to take the link down. Even just having the story up is unlikely to get you into any trouble. And in order for anything to go to court (which is the most extreme of circumstances), the author has to prove you caused them some sort of loss of income. So that is unlikely. Most of the time, stuff that is up on the Internet is there because people want it to be seen, so I think you're safe putting up pretty much anything.
Perception is everything.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:53 am
Sureal says...

If the author has been dead for 50 (or is it 70? can't remember...) years or more, than it can be freely used.
I wrote the above just for you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:10 pm
Firestarter says...

I think it's 70.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:12 pm
Mr. Everyone says...

Ya pretty much anything is practically fair game on the internet. You know how much of an ass he would have to be to actually find you for one then take you to court. lol, if you get taken to court cuz' of it, i'll donate all my pts to you lol
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:13 pm
Mr. Everyone says...

lol
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid