NaNo '23: Fairytale

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:26 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 10: 17,806

Olive's Christmas with her siblings and father wrap up, and the following month, she's on a plane to Los Angeles to record her demos.

Spoiler! :
A man sitting across from them had noticed what was going on and asked Olive if she was okay.

Julie, in the aisle seat, had said it was Olive’s first time flying.

The man had explained that he was an engineer and that he worked on planes.

“He told me all about how planes worked, and reassuring me how safe we really were. He just, really put me at ease.” She says the man, ostensibly trying to get her mind off of her fear, asked what they were up to in Los Angeles.

Olive got shy and only said that their family was going on vacation. Julie cut in, explaining the reason for their trip.

The man’s eyes widened, said that was really cool, and wished them luck.

At that point, the plane was getting ready to take off.

“He gave me this reassuring look,” Olive remembers. “It was scary at first, but I held onto the seat, and we were in the air. Flying. And it was okay. I don’t even remember that man’s name. But that’s always going to stick with me.”

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:07 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 11: 18,645 words

Moving right along! Today was a little bit more difficult but I eventually got into a groove. I have more time tomorrow to get more done!

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:31 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 13: 21,422 words

Ack, I keep forgetting to update this thread! Olive got her album deal, got emancipated from her parents. She moved to Los Angeles and is lonely.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:13 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 14: 23,348 words

Almost to halfway!

Olive records her album and starts her senior year of high school at an elite private academy where the rich and famous send their daughters. There, she meets the daughter of famous actress Sheila Taylor, Joan Rooney.

Spoiler! :
In fourth period History, she sat next to fellow senior Joan Rooney. Other than their age and natural charisma that made the both of them stars, the girls had little in common on the surface. Tall and with short, dark brown hair and freckles, Joan immediately stood out in whatever room that she was in. Born on September 7th, 1973, she’d been attending Brookland Academy since the start of junior high. She’d lived in Los Angeles her whole life, and her father, Michael Rooney, had been a line producer on a series of popular movies and shows. Her mother was the acclaimed British actress Sheila Taylor. She’d grown up spending summers on the East Coast, taking extravagant trips, and spending time on film sets. It was a charmed head start for their daughter, who had aspirations to be an actress herself.

It was a far cry from Olive’s working-class upbringing. Still, on that first day, there was something that drew the two of them together. “By the start of senior year, I’d known most of the girls I was at school with. It was kind of rare to have someone new transfer just for their last year. I thought she needed a friend,” Joan, now living in Connecticut, recalls. So, as the class was getting ready to start, she’d introduced herself and asked Olive if she was the new girl.

“That’s me,” Olive said nervously, “the new girl.”

“What brings you to Brookland?” Joan asked.

Olive hesitated. Talking about the album with strangers still made her nervous, but there
was something that made her realize no one would bat an eye if she talked about it here. “I just moved here from Cleveland. I have an album deal with Skylark Records, so.”

“Girl, that’s sick!” Joan explained. “When’s it coming out? I want to listen.”

“December,” Olive replied.

By then, the class was starting, and the girls resolved to continue the conversation at lunch.

“She was a curiosity to me,” Joan says. “A lot of girls at Brookland were daughters of other famous or important kids in Los Angeles. Olive just seemed like she’d been plucked out of obscurity. Whatever way you spin it, it was a good story.”

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:42 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 15: 25,308 words

Olive settles in at Brookland Academy, where her friendship with Joan grows. She also meets Karen White, famous child star that also attends Brookland.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:57 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 17: 28,343 words

I've been skipping around a little bit but trying to tie it in. In the section I'm working on now; Olive and Joan's friendship grows, Olive acts in the school play, her first album fails, she goes back home for the holidays and runs into Isaac, and Joan finds out about casting for a TV show she desperately wants to book.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:37 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 19: 31,675 words

I guess I'm doing these every two days. I've mostly filled in the gaps as I was writing out of order; but now, Olive's album flopped and she was dropped by her record label. As she's running out of her advance money, she gets a job at a video store and books Rebecca and Kate.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:28 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 20: 33,343

I've filled in all the gaps, and finished the first two parts. We're onto Part III "The Star", and the beginning of Rebecca and Kate.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:03 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 23: 38,346 words

Didn't write yesterday, but I'm back on track! Hard to believe we're approaching the finish line!

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:56 pm
Elinor says...

Day 26: 43,657 words

Skipping around a bunch, but I'm writing the December Star chapter now, and I still have a few gaps I need to go back and fill in. WE'RE ON THE HOMESTRETCH!

-- Walt Disney

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13