NaNo 2023: Don't Stop Believin' . . .

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:40 am
View Likes
yosh says...

"Just a small town girl,
Livin' in a lonely world.
She took the midnight train going anywhere.
Just a city boy,
Born and raised in South Detroit.
He took the midnight train going anywhere."

Breaking free from the relentless hustle of city life, Dorian yearns for a fresh beginning, seeking solace from his inner demons. Eager to embrace the world's wonders and traverse distant horizons, Chloe departs her quaint hometown, driven by her unquenchable wanderlust. Unbeknownst to both, their destinies converge on a train bound for Veratheim, a once-thriving utopia now teetering on the brink of ruin. As tensions escalate and the secrets of this strange realm unfurl, their optimistic midnight journey takes an ominous turn towards an unforeseen nightmare.

Spoiler! :
pls don't copyright me mr journey sir
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:02 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Name: Dorian Walters
Height: 5'11'
Eye colour: Brown
Physical appearance: Mixed, a little bit everything, but mostly black. He has a bit of hair, but his dad won't let him get it long enough for dreads. He's not especially tall, and is decently built-- plays basketball, but not seriously.
Strange or unique physical attributes: Nothing really.
Favourite clothing style/outfit: He has a jacket that he loves to wear, just because most everything else is school uniforms.
Where do they live? What is it like there? -- He lives in Detroit. He doesn't really like it there.
Defining gestures/movements: Sometimes, Dorian scratches the back of his neck when he's nervous or thoughtful.
Things about their appearance they would most like to change: He definitely wants to do his hair the way he wants.
Speaking style: Comes across as monotone and boring sometimes, but ocassionally has dorky bursts of excitement.
Pet peeves: Loud people.
Fondest memory: His mother buying him a plushie at Disneyland. He has long forgotten which character was the one he got, but he remembers loving the plushie to death.
Hobbies/interests: Reading comics, reading novels, webnovels, just reading in general. Sometimes plays basketball, but its not a hobby.
Special skills/abilities: None [at least before he gets isekaid]
Quirks/eccentricities: Just kinda nerdy honestly
Temperament: Passively nihilistic.
Negative traits: . . . being passively nihilistic.
Things that upset them: Loud noises, crowded areas, etc. make Dorian uncomfortable.
Things that embarrass them: PUBLIC. SPEAKING.
This character is highly opinionated about: Lokis "side" [Marvel]. Dorian is convinced that Loki is as evil as can be.
Any phobias? -- PUBLIC. SPEAKING.
Things that make them happy:A nice quiet afternoon reading in his bedroom.
Family (describe): Mom dead, Dad hits him.
Deepest, darkest secret: He doesnt think that hes scared of death. And that scares him more than anything
Reason they have kept this secret for so long: Erm.....maybe not dying?
Other people's opinions of this character: Most people see him as a quiet kid, but hes tall and good looking enough to not have too much trouble in school.
Favourite bands/songs/types of music: Classical Music. He doesnt play a classical instrument, he just loves classical music.
Favourite movies: Grave of Fireflies
Favourite TV shows: Wednesday
Favourite books: Lord of the Flies
Favourite foods: Spicy chicken wings
Favourite sports/sports teams: Hes a Pistons fan, but mostly because of location.
Political views: very insignificant, but Id assume hes a bit leftist
Religion/philosophy of life: Atheist
Physical health: Not exactly athletic or fit, but hes built enough to actually play sports.
Dream holiday: Christmas with his whole family
Description of their house: Lives in a condo with his dad.
Description of their room: A simple bed and a desk off to the side. In the corner, next to the window, he has a bean bag that he sits in when he reads.
Any pets? -- None.
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: He was asked out once. But then, he got so nervous that he ran away, and never heard from the kid who asked him out again.
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: He has a few scars on his back from when he was little, and his dad was a bit uncontrollable.
Superstitions: None
Three words to describe this character: Negative, nerd, quiet
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? Summer Highland Falls, Billy Joel

so i took another nap

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:13 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

that song is stuck in my head now thank you

Love the sound of this!!
(pls say that even though there's unforeseen nightmare Dorian and Chloe will fall in love)
Good luck this NaNo!! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

129 Reviews

Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:26 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

@Carlito tysm im so excited for this one!!!

maybe they will .... actually im not really sure yet, but we'll see how it goes.

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:31 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 1 - Fire Punch!

Wordcount: 4,735

(technically, i've only written about 2k words today because I started on the novel before Nano, but i'll count it as today :P)

Summary:
Spoiler! :
Dorian and Chloe get sucked into another world . . . and no one is there. They take a lil train over to this new place and boom now they're in a cathedral thats filled with grass. Cool. Oh, and Chloe carries explosives on her. Good to know.

Also there's a monster. It chases them through the forest. Dorian awakens his inner abilities of the flame and uses "Fire Puuuuuuuunch!" against the beast and does absolutely nothing. Well, actually the beast gave him a dislocated shoulder in one blow, so that's something.

Good work today, folks!

I'm feeling good about myself! Got day 1 done!

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:38 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 2 - Granard

Words Written: 1,373
Total Wordcount: 6,108

Summary:
Spoiler! :
Granard appears! He saves Chloe and Dorian from the Wolf-beast (which is what we're calling it now, I guess), and also Dorian is critically injured, but he'll be fine . . . because . . . magic? How convenient . . .

We finally get some worldbuilding, and learn a bit about how the world, Veratheim, works. Granard's magic has yet to be explained but I think I'll get to that tomorrow (only if one of our protagonists remembers to ask).

Did not hit my word count goal, but I think I definitely could have if I had just a bit more time. Also, I was at a good stopping point so it's understandable. I had a headstart to the 50k, but I still need to put in the work!!!!

Will have to make up for it tomorrow, which seems . . . doable? I'll get the entire afternoon to myself, hopefully.

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:59 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 3 - Pout

Words Written: 945
Total Wordcount: 7,022

Summary:
Spoiler! :
Dorian's finally awake, and honestly hes kinda embarrassed about Fire Punch. Also we find out that Chloe had NO sense of sarcasm at all. Dorian's kinda pouty and nihilistic the entire time but also hes injured so makes sense.

Aaaaahhh. Wrote even less today, but honestly I think it's more of a time management problem than writing problem. I need to take time out to write.

Anyways, I have not been reaching my word quotas for the day but I think we can get up to speed once the action starts!

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:18 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 4 - Finally, some conflict . . .

Words Written: 2,287
Total Wordcount: 9,312

Summary:
Spoiler! :
So much happened today! We get in a bit more worldbuilding, especially learning how the magic works in Veratheim, which I'm honestly glad to get that out of the way. The beast is on the move again, and Granard decides to head out with his buddies to hunt it. (Not kill it but subdue it, because religious reasons).

Chloe doesn't like that. She wanna go with them (also she has explosives don't forget that) and she is super capable (again she has explosives in her pocket guys). While Bird-dog is having explosive diarrhea, Chloe finds the chance to escape!

They reach the cave that the beast is hiding out at (presumably), but they get there first and the beast shows up with some creepy dude with him.

Woo-hoo some conflict! They fight for a second. I still haven't decided who dies yet, but probably Granard, I'm thinkin.

Lets go!!! Great work today! If I can keep up this pace, I'll be set for the 50k. I went well over 2k words, I'm so proud of myself.

Nothing else to say except I'm so excited that the conflict is finally started!!!

Also I think Dorian falls in love with her first, but Chloe falls harder. That's probably how it'll go.

so i took another nap

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:01 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Dorian’s Fire Punch and Chloe carrying explosives in her pocket are just so hilarious to me XDD your story sounds super interesting so far; can’t wait to see where you take it!! :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

129 Reviews

Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:41 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

@Spearmint tysm!!!! i'm super excited for my lil potatoes too

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:26 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 5 - Spear

Words Written: 1,129
Total Wordcount: 10,419

Summary:
Spoiler! :
Granard is killed. Spear through the heart.

Wow . . . didn't write a lot today, but some heavy stuff happened. It's more than enough to make up for the wordcount. I finally get a chance for romantic tension, but I feel like it's not a good time, honestly.

Still, I'm already one fifth of the way there! So hyped!

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:38 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 6 - Cave

Words Written: 275
Total Wordcount: 10,664

Summary:
Spoiler! :
Dorian sits in the cave, musing. As he recalls Granard's untimely death, memories of his late mother come bubbling back to the surface.

Whoops....

Anyways, I didn't get a lot of time to write today, but I have lots of stuff planned, so I don't feel demotivated at all!

Still, I need to keep the pace if I want to hit that 50k

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:58 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 7 - Swamp

Words Written: 1,112
Total Wordcount: 11,794

Summary:
Spoiler! :
They're finally out of the cave, and end up in a . . . swamp . . .

Kind of a meh day.

Not much to say except their dialogue is getting gradually more light-hearted, but I'm trying to make it gradual. Not sure where I want the romance to start, but it's on my mind...

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:59 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 8 - Guardian of the Forest

Words Written: 767
Total Wordcount: 12,548

Summary:
Spoiler! :
As they continue through the swamp, they encounter a strange voice that tells them to leave. But after close inspection, the person behind the voice is . . . a kid?

Funny little interactions. Mostly dialogue.

Need to find some time to actually WRITE

but it's going good. At least I'm getting progress. I feel like I can only write when something really big is happening.

so i took another nap

129 Reviews

Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:09 am
View Likes
yosh says...

Day 9 - Mama?

Words Written: 320
Total Wordcount: 12,860

Summary:
Spoiler! :
The kid leads them through the swamp (after Chloe borderline tortures him) and leads them to what he calls "Mama", who lives in a tree with an army of children.

Cool.

Been so busy lately so my Nano has been falling behind. But never fear, I will catch up soon!

so i took another nap

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien