Young Writers Society

NaNo 2023: Dreamless, Dreamfull

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:23 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

EDIT:

Dreamless… might be my idea again. Oh well. It's also a little changed.

Basically, my main character is attending this small private school (after being homeschooled for the first few years of her life) and is going to be there for the last three years of her schooling.

However, it's strange because everyone at this school (it just opened) is related to one or more of what the world calls the Council.

For something strange happened at the end of the year the Council turned sixteen (on December 31st). The next day, in the new year, they woke up without any powers. No one knows what happened -- and the Council has not said a word of it, but at least their own children have powers still, but even then, it's very limited and only encompasses a single ability or idea.

My MC does not realize it but she is a witness to what really happened with the Council -- once she starts dreaming about the past, starts dreaming about every person she touches (on purpose) but she doesn't catch on for a while. And it's really important for all of the teenagers at this school since their parents and relatives are ... planning something to reverse what happened to them. And it doesn't bode well for the teenagers.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:27 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ooh this sounds super intriguing!! :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

415 Reviews

Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:43 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

@Spearmint thank you!! A friend of mine joked that I should write a story about the Mandalorian xD because he's a favorite character of hers, so I decided to try to incorporate a few things in aha.

415 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:13 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Or...

I might do a second draft of my last year's NaNo -- Dreamless.

xD

415 Reviews

Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:50 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Alright, so I am doing another draft of Dreamless, but I'm going to take it in another direction and see how I like it. Rather than Caitlin not really knowing what is going for the entire time about her dreaming/other people having powers, I am going to have this be a "magic-is-known" world but everyone's parents do not have powers anymore, only their kids.

I want this strategy to work better since I think YA works better to keep the plot going instead of college students xD We'll see.

I'm hoping to spend more time on Caitlin's friendships, namely Harriet and Paris, and expand on the strange things starting to brew beneath the surface.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:23 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Wait I read this!! :)
Yay NaNo draft 2! I'm excited to see where you take the story next! Best of luck this NaNo :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

415 Reviews

Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:59 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

@Carlito Yes you did! I'm so excited to write another version of this.

415 Reviews

Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:48 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Alright, main character profiles! Also all of them might be POVs eventually too.

Caitlin
Spoiler! :
Name: Caitlin
Height: 5'4"
Eye colour: Dark brown
Physical appearance: She has dark brown hair, that is past her shoulders, but is always tied into a low ponytail. Caitlin has a pretty even light tan across her face, arms, and legs, but her stomach is a lot more pale.
Strange or unique physical attributes: She has a small scar over her right eye and another scar right above her lip.
Favourite clothing style/outfit: Mostly shorts and t-shirts because she runs warm, even if it's cold. Her favorite outfit is a fictional band shirt she loves that is colorful text over black and she loves to wear dark red shorts with it.
Defining gestures/movements: Caitlin has never interacted with this many people that are around her age so she often never knows where to put her arms or her hands, so she ends up talking with them a LOT. This can be represented in a way that includes waving her hands around when she says hi to someone.
Things about their appearance they would most like to change: She wants to dye her hair one day but she can't decide what color -- her favorite color kind of changes every week.
Speaking style: Tentative if that counts as a style. Caitlin takes a while to speak after thinking through her thoughts, and can get intimidated very quickly.
Pet peeves: This is really specific but when people talk about how cool their dreams are cause (per the name) Caitlin does not dream.
Hobbies/interests: She loves to read, but her book collection is super limited/restricted by her parents.
Things that make them happy: Seeing animals outside her window or when she was allowed outside, when her classmates ask after her or wanted to know what she thought.
Family (describe): Parents are Cora and Eric, no siblings.
Deepest, darkest secret: She once had a terrible fever and seemed to dream, but she was not sure if it was an actual dream/vision, but it showed her parents praying to a demon and the demon appeared above them and winked at her, before she woke up and was better.
Reason they have kept this secret for so long: Uh, she literally does not want to consider her parents had asked for help from a demon/
Three words to describe this character:
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be?
Strange Town by The Moderates cause ya know the school is a weird place.

Harriet
Spoiler! :
Name: Harriet
Height: 5'6
Eye colour: Dark brown eyes.
Physical appearance: Harriet has a dark brown skin tone and her hair is twisted into dyed orange and brown locs.
Strange or unique physical attributes: Harriet has a small birthmark
Favourite clothing style/outfit:
Defining gestures/movements:
Things about their appearance they would most like to change:
Speaking style:
Pet peeves:
Things that make them happy:
Family (describe): Parents are Connor and Flora.
Deepest, darkest secret:
Reason they have kept this secret for so long:
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be?

Kurtis
Spoiler! :
Name: Kurtis
Height: 5'8
Eye colour:
Physical appearance:
Strange or unique physical attributes:
Speaking style:
Pet peeves:
Family (describe): Parents are Barton and Veronica.
Deepest, darkest secret:
Other people's opinions of this character:

Paris
Spoiler! :
Name: Paris
Height: 5'2
Eye colour: Dark blue/gray
Physical appearance: She has short, dark blond hair that falls straight past her ears. Her skin tone is very light.
Strange or unique physical attributes: Paris has many light brown freckles across her face and her arms.
Where do they live? What is it like there? --
Speaking style:
Pet peeves:
Family (describe): Parents are Derek and Jessica.
Deepest, darkest secret:

415 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:15 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Well, I changed things a little again today, and I think I'm shooting for 20k - 30k in total for November based on how busy I am this month.

I'm looking to write the backstory/prequel to Dreamless which explains how things that happened back then influenced so much of what happened later on. Thus, Dreamfull.

Day One: 11/01/23

Daily Word Count: 2006

Total Word Count: 2006/30000

Snippet:
Spoiler! :
Summer break started with a whimper, not a bang.

Flora blinks awake to a pale ceiling above her. She glances around her room, watching how the sunlight flashes through her light purple curtains.

EDIT: Wrote another thousand words so I added them to the total. Word sprints for the win!

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf