z

Young Writers Society

Unfeeling Umbrella

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:30 am
PiesAreSquared says...

I had to make it family friendly for the contest, so...
Song: The Pretty Reckless – You
Prompts: Shoe laces, an Umbrella

It was a Friday afternoon, Mom had gone shopping, and I had just returned from school. I sat at the window and stared through the rain. It was coming down in sheets. The wind blew splashes of it through the window. I got up to close the window. I shivered, it was cold outside. My little body heaved and strained against the effort it took to pull the window shut. I was exhausted, and soaked by the rain.
I pulled off the wet raincoat and dumped it on the floor. I looked at my wristwatch. Four thirty Shaking my head, I looked back out the window. I swept my hand across my face and through my hair. The water dripped from me onto my feet. I smiled and looked at my umbrella, folded neatly, but dumped on the floor. “Did you see that?”
I had a tendency to talk to inanimate objects. “Hello?! I’m talking to you!”
It didn’t reply. I sighed. “Oh well, I suppose I have to give you some eyes right?”
I ran to the cupboard and drew out my art-and-craft box. To me, it was the most valuable thing in the world. You can’t smell me either, can you? I needed a nose. Wait. I already had one. Oh. Yeah You can’t have my nose! That is MINE. My mind protested at the idea. I needed some other nose. The chicken in the fridge? I smiled. My umbrella could have a whole head.
Running to the fridge, I pulled out the chicken and carried it with me to the umbrella. Taking a scissors, I rapidly beheaded the chicken and tossed the body back into the fridge, Like I wanted you! It was surreal, an umbrella with a head. It did look as though a chicken was peeping through my umbrella. I smiled at what I had down and proudly paraded it around the house.
At the end of my parade I slammed it to the ground, hoping the head would respond. It didn’t. “You can’t feel it can you? Well, I would have felt it.” Well, that was a hard question, I thought that there were veins travelling all over it. Rather, I thought they were travelling under its skin. The fact that they did not travel at all did get under my skin sometimes.
I needed nerves for this umbrella. At first thought it seemed to me that nerves were just a bunch of string in me. Well, at least that’s what my mom told me. I couldn’t waste string from my box, besides, it would tear if I were to open the umbrella. My shoes. It could not have been better. Hurriedly, I unlaced my shoes and glued the laces onto my umbrella. This took about an hour to do, as the string never stayed in one place long enough for the glue to dry. Now, I thought, it could definitely feel me.
I was in for a disappointment. The chicken’s head did not make a sound. I felt like pounding it out of my umbrella but thought better of it. Mom’s biology textbook stood in the corner. She was a student in some university, I’ve forgotten which. Anyway, I took that down and began flipping through the pages till I got to the part about the nerves. Now the book said that nerves had to be living to transmit a message. What a revelation!
The easiest thing a six year old can catch, that is living, is an ant. They move so slowly. I ran around the house chasing them, but I soon had to give it up, the house was in a mess, and they wouldn’t stay with my umbrella. I kept scolding them, but they just wouldn’t listen. I needed to complete this ‘project’ of mine before mom came home, so I sat there, thinking.
I soon remembered that ants always went for food, especially those sweet ones. Winnie the Pooh would just have to go without his honey tonight. I took down the jar from the cupboard and soon had the umbrella soaked in honey. I waited about fifteen minutes for the ants to come. No ants. I started shouting at them, “I need you in my umbrella, ants. I want you there! Come on, even if you don’t want me, you would want the honey, right?”
They still wouldn’t listen; they were so stubborn you could feel it in your bones. If you had any, that is. Finally, about fifteen minutes later they all came trooping out, each walking like it owned the world; they came right to my umbrella and stuck themselves in the honey. When they tried to come out, they would wriggle their legs here and there, it was so funny.
Now that they were stuck there, I could test their ability to feel. I looked around for a space to throw the umbrella and saw through the rain a figure approaching. It was my mom. Diving into my shoes, which in my excitement I failed to see the lack of laces, I grabbed my umbrella and ran out into the rain.
Unfortunately for me, my shoes flipped off the moment I got out the door, and I slipped and fell. My head hit the doorsteps and I remembered no more. To this day, I am still unaware of anything that has happened after that as I am in a coma.
Last edited by PiesAreSquared on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:20 pm
zaid says...

I really liked the story, the plot is vividly explained and you kept the reader reading till the end. :D
Zaid.
Sincerely,
Zaid.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:42 pm
LiveLifeLoud says...

Amazing! I really enjoyed this, you did a fabulous job. Made me think of a six year old friend of mine, this is something he would definitely do.
Just a couple things you might want to fix since this is for a contest:

I looked at my wristwatch. four thirty

Capitalize.

Running to the fridge, i pulled out the chicken and carried it with me to the umbrella.

Capitalize

Well, that was a hard question, I thought that there were veins traveling all over it. Rather, I thought they were traveling under its skin.

Should be 'travelling'.

They still wouldn’t listen, they were so stubborn you could feel it in your bones. If you had any, that is. Finally, about fifteen minutes later they all came trooping out, each walking like it owned the world, they came right to my umbrella and stuck themselves in the honey.

Both of those commas should be semicolons.

As for titles, I'm really bad with those. I usually need help with titles myself. I thought of two while I was reviewing though, 'The Umbrella', and 'Unfeeling'. Just some ideas.

I wish you the best of luck in the contest, you've done a brilliant job. Keep writing. =)

Live long, and prosper,
LiveLifeLoud~
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.
~Douglas Adams

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 pm
Pigeon says...

I just have one or two suggestions for this.
The action of the story sounds a lot like a six year old.
e.g.
“Hello?! I’m talking to you!”
and
I smiled. My umbrella could have a whole head.

but the narration often sounds like someone much older.
e.g.
I had a tendency to talk to inanimate objects.
and
Mom’s biology textbook stood in the corner. She was a student in some university, I’ve forgotten which. Anyway, I took that down and began flipping through the pages till I got to the part about the nerves.

If you want to get an idea of how to consistently write from the point of view of a little kid you could have a look at Room, by Emma Donoghue. Here's an extract: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/au ... a-donoghue

The other thing is this:
To this day, I am still unaware of anything that has happened after that as I am in a coma.
If the kid's in a coma, how is he narrating the story? Personally, I think the coma is necessary. The story has enough going on without it, and it doesn't make sense for a comatose person to be the narrator.

As for a title, how about 'Prometheus'?
Reader, what are you doing?

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot