z

Young Writers Society

Lifelessness

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:32 am
Gg127 says...

The darkness of night only intensified his need for vengeance. Held captive in his undersized chamber, which seemed to have shrunk considerably since the last time he visited, he howled long into the night, a wild, desperate plea. He beat savagely against the door, fists mangled with blood and filth, the only remnants of his previous battle. And his chamber, his poor mother’s design, was undergoing the process of destitution. His own unrecognizable hands gripping the curtains dangerously; tearing. The very sound of ripping cotton fibers soothed him. Perhaps it contributed to his illusions of agonizing, pale flesh. Soon after, however, infuriation weakened him, sending him into a state of shock; a numbness. Overcoming him, this feeling. There was no escaping, no opening in the continuing tunnel of life. He had gone too far, exceeded to venture well beyond his boundaries. His limits, extended, suddenly appeared terrifyingly distant. I must go, he announced with an icy shiver, his final display of sanity.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:46 am
Shinrai says...

This is good! I liked the descriptiveness and I slowly put together the scene in my head! I wish it was longer though this small tid-bit has so much more room for information you have me hooked!!! I really liked the bit about the curtains and how at the end it talked about him saying he needed to go was his last thing that kept him from being a full fledged monster his last act of humanity.
Shinrai (Japanese) means reliance, faith, trust, and confidence which are things that I hold value in and I strive to be reliable, faithful to God and the people I'm around, trustworthy, and confident so if you were wondering what my name means I hope this explains everything

Reviews: 2
Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:53 am
TheMaskedMan says...

That was excellent. It was captivating and mysterious. However, I wouldn't exactly say it was "frightening", if that's what you were going for. If you want to write horror, I would suggest on reading more horror. Stephen King is always good.
I'm guessing the subject is a werewolf, or some kind of inhuman monster that has been locked up for other people's safety. It sounds like this is only an introduction to a story. If it is, I would very much like to read the completed work, or a part two. PM me if you plan on making more.
Very good description. I suggest using a thesaurus to help improve your vocabulary even further. Not that your chosen words were bland or anything, but there's always room for improvement.
Nice job!

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:16 pm
Yuriiko says...

Hello Gg!

The only thing that got me interested to read this was the 'description' under your title (warning us that this was going to be scary). I'm going to be pretty honest- it didn't quite well work for me. Although I have to say that I was really impressed with your writing style. There were strong descriptions you have expressed very well here. But then again, looking overall thought of the story, I only imagined a man trapped inside a chamber. The story didn't justify that 'scary' effect or impression you wanted to give to us- or shall we say, this piece didn't stand out very well. If we actually take out all the descriptions and just focus more on the inner core of this- it seemed pretty flat. I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I suggest expanding more. Try adding more surprising actions to the story. Bring out that creepy atmosphere you want to let us feel. Also, sprinkle some background information here since your character's profile wasn't presented accurately. I think the story was too short to give information.

All in all, this is good, but just as I've said earlier- this could have been great if you have added more scenes. So everything is purely based on my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for the read. ^^

Peace out,
Yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year