z

Young Writers Society

penny for your thoughts

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:46 pm
Amice says...

"Penny for your thoughts", I said to the young girl standing outside the market. I was in a fine mood, having just spent most of my paycheck on a few luxuries for the weekend. I happened to have a penny in change, and rolling it around in my fingers, I acted on a whim and offered to buy the girl's thoughts for one cent. Somewhat ragged in appearance, she seemed to be deep in thought. I thought it should be interesting to find out what could be on her mind on this chilly September day.
"Penny for your thoughts", I repeated amiably, still handling the coin. She jolted out of her reverie and the pensive face changed to an interested, but wary look at the copper in my hands.
Lifting her eyes to my face, she responded lightly, "I'm not s'posed to talk to strangers."
"Well then, I'll introduce myself. My name is Ashta Graves, and I have two boys, one dog, and five goldfish. I live on the corner by the church in town. I teach school and I am making a big pot of chili tonight. Now you tell me about yourself." I continued to smile and flip the coin.
The girl, who had hardly moved during my monologue, now licked her lips and began, "Yes ma'am. My name is Lottie Simms, and I have four brothers, two sisters, and a one-eyed, lame kitty. I live on the edge of town in a little three-room house. I don't go to school. Everyday I walk here to the market and try to get some money for my mama, 'cause we have to eat beans and bread every day, and the baby needs new clothes."
I began to be a little uncomfortable. I hadn't expected this, and her steady gaze during this quiet speech was more calm than mine as I listened.
She went on, "Some people treat me bad and say mean things. But some people will let me help carry packages and give me their coins. Them are the good days when I can take somethin home to Mama."
I swallowed hard as she let her eyes drop to the penny, now still in my clammy palm. Not knowing what to say, I simply held out my hand, offering it to her. She reached up to accept the charity, saying, "You said, 'Penny for your thoughts'. Well, ma'am, I was wishing for a penny. Thank you."

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:13 pm
Shriek says...

I really liked this. It was short and sweet, but it really struck me. Though Lottie didn't give much more than a brief description of her life, it felt as if I was getting a glimpse into her soul. That's difficult to do, especially in so little words, but you really hit the nail on the head there. My only complaint is that I was disappointed in the ending--that the woman hadn't helped the girl more than giving her a penny. I guess it's more true to today, though--most people don't want to be bugged with the poor, no matter how heartwrenching their story is.

Excellent job. :)
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author