z

Young Writers Society

July Camp '22: The Players (Final Chapters)

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:03 am
RandomTalks says...

DAY 27

Daily Wordcount: 501

NaNo Wordcount: 10.554k

I am having real fun while writing now and its a shame because Camp is almost over and I always abandon this project when I am not working on it during NaNo.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"I am not wrong, you know," he said quietly.
"You are not right either."
A pause.
"So where does that leave us?"
He looked at him softly with a smile so condescending; it would have put his father's to shame.
"I suppose this is what they call an impasse."
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:29 pm
RandomTalks says...

DAY 28

Daily Wordcount: 523

NaNo Wordcount: 11.077k
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:32 pm
RandomTalks says...

DAY 29

Daily Wordcount: 641

NaNo Wordcount: 11.718k

I am very close to completing my goal for Camp, but I do wish that I had crossed that threshold by now. Unfortunately, school and exams have a way of disrupting all my plans, so at least there's no surprise there.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"What happened?"
His voice was quiet and exhausted and she wasn't even sure if the question he had posed was even meant for her.
"We changed."
He threw a look at her and huffed in amusement.
She raiaed an eyebrow, "What you don't believe people can change?"
"I don't actually. We are who we are. And no matter how many fancy lies we tell ourselves, at the end of the day, strip down all those pretences and we are still the exact same person we were the day before. A tiger doesn't change her stripes, sweetheart. You should know better."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:11 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 30

Daily Wordcount: 603

NaNo Wordcount: 12.321k

Things are getting way too intense now. We get the big confrontation between Sara and Charles and there is a lot of manipulation and power-play involved. I am the writer and yet their conversation has got me rethinking motivations and analysing the characters in an entirely different way!

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"From where I see it, we have two options. Either I kill you here and we end this game for once and for all. Or I let you run back to your precious little beach, so you can concoct a brand new plan with your little crew and I get the pleasure of watching it fall apart once again."
His smile was soft and calm and there was something manic behind it
"Do I get a say?"
"Not really. Although it would be very easy, you know - killing you. With you gone, Will would give up in a second and James would be careless, reckless, falling prey to his own maddening cycle of grief and anger. A single shot to the chest and your little team will crumble from within. "
He laughed. "Its funny, you know? They might need Will to lead them, but they need you to survive. Without ever realizing, you have become the queen of the game, carefully balancing yourself between all the black and white pieces, maneuvering all the moves from the very beginning. You are their queen Sara, and killing you would end the game too soon. But we can't have that, can we?" He smiled, "We are just getting started."

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:09 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

I am the writer and yet their conversation has got me rethinking motivations and analysing the characters in an entirely different way!

Oh that's really exciting! That excerpt sounds really intense, too. It looks like you've been doing fantabulously exploring this story, RandomTalks -- wonderful work! :D
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

659 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:30 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thank you @Liminality for all the encouragement throughout the month! :)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:36 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 31

Daily Wordcount: 639

NaNo Wordcount: 12.960k

I am really glad that I managed to complete Camp NaNo and achieve my goals as well. It was not much compared to my previous NaNo wordcounts, but it was still progress and now I can finally work on the final chapters. This was truly a very exciting journey!

― Margaret Mitchell

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
— Albus Dumbledore