Reviews: 659
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:26 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 18

Total Wordcount: 680

NaNo Wordcount: 22.013k

Novel Wordcount: 98.482k

I had to deconstruct Sara's entire history yesterday because of one teeny-tiny plot hole that I figured out too late. I have to work on her last flashback as well, and change a rather big revelation that took place there. This is precisely the reason I need to learn to plan the details of my stories beforehand.

Today's quote:

"I didn't need him, but I missed him when he wasn't there."

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"What does it mean to have a lonely soul? I have often heard people use the expression and have never understood it. Souls can't be lonely. Only people can."
She stared at him for a moment in the firelight, trying to find some fault in his thought that would allow her the opportunity to disagree with him and start another argument that would lead nowhere, but would still prolong this stolen moment between them.
But she was tired of using excuses to talk with him. For some inexplicable reason, they got each other. And being understood by someone even so vastly different from her, was a luxury she could not afford to lose in this place.
So she swallowed back her pride and nodded.
"You are right," she said, drawing his attention back to her once again, "People can be lonely."
And she was confident that he knew exactly what she was talking about this time.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:24 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 19

This week has been really hectic for me with school and I have not been that regular with my updates. I write in between classes, but somehow something always gets in my way every time I try to open my laptop.

So picking up with where I left off, I had to change a very major detail of Sara's history regarding her mother. As a result, a lot of my time had been consumed with making changes. But I am back on track now. However, since I have been mostly rewriting scenes, I don't really think if it counts as NaNo words. Besides, if I add this to my progress for NaNo, it would certainly mess up my novel wordcount. So I am not going to mention any word count for this day.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:58 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 20

Total Wordcount: 720

NaNo Wordcount: 22.733k

Novel Wordcount: 99.202k

Apparently, I have made a mistake in my calculations somewhere. I have crossed my 22k mark but that means I should have crossed the 100k mark on my novel as well. Well, I don't have the patience to track where I went wrong, so let's just continue.

In the story, we finally follow Will as he leads an unlikely group into the jungle. Unforeseen dangers cause them delay and Will starts to question his own abilities.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
There are moments in life that bring you unflinching clarity, that show you the truth in bold, pronounced ways to wake you up from whatever delusion you have convinced yourself into believing. And like on Monday morning when the weather is just right and your pillow is too comfortable, waking up is not always the rejuvenating experience that the world makes it out to be. And in Will's case, waking up to the truth was like a breath-stealing, life-altering punch to the gut.
He had been foolish to believe that all of this could have led to any other path than the one they were standing on right now. But now that he was awake and alive, Will knew that it was over; that it was done.
The moment had passed and all he could do now was stand and watch as his life crumble all around him.
He was a stupid man.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:05 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 21

Total Wordcount: 589

NaNo Wordcount: 23.322k

Novel Wordcount: 99.791k

We are nearing the 100k mark, but we are still no way near the end of this story. Makes me wonder how exactly I am going to tie things up into a satisfying conclusion that makes sense and does justice to the characters as well. I know where I want it to go, but I feel like I have barely scratched the surface yet.

Anyways, we have a moment of respite where we catch a short glimpse of a conversation between Sara and James while they await the arrival of the party from the jungle.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"You know? I just noticed, there is a little bit of green in the blue of your eyes."
He laughed, "And there is a little bit of gold in the brown of yours."
She nodded with a smile, "I guess, none of us can be defined by a single color."
He shrugged, "Well, if there can be so many different shades of a single color, why can't there be as many shades to us?"
She thought about his answer and the question inside it, and decided that he was right. She did not really believe that you can ever really know a person - who they are, inside out. You see what they show you and you build it into an image inside your head that you keep adding different colors to, as the years move on. But at the end of it all, the picture you come up with could be as different from what you started with, and it still wouldn't be that person.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:59 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 22

Total Wordcount: 872

NaNo Wordcount: 24.194k

Novel Wordcount: 100.663k

I crossed the 100k mark on my novel! Of course, I am still nowhere near the end, so I was thinking maybe I could divide it into two parts so that it does not get overwhelming to read. But those decisions are for later; this is after all, only the first draft.

Anyways, we get a glimpse into Will's mind and hear a little more about his relationship with his father as he recalls experiences from his childhood.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
There he was, with a problem to fix. Maybe his father had been right about him. Maybe he always needed a problem to solve in order to feel useful.

But he was a doctor. His life was measured by how many lives he saved, and how many people he fixed. It was his job. It was why he was able to come home every night and go to bed with a clear conscience. He was good at it.

His father had always been talented at one thing. He had this uncanny ability to twist a person's strength into something he felt he had to be ashamed of. He had done it all his life with him, with his disapproving eyes and scrutinizing stare. He had always felt the need to to prove him wrong, to show him that he was not who he thought him to be. In the process, he did not care who he became, as long as it was someone his father did not think him to be.

He looked up at Theodore as he waited for him to move. At least, this blessed damned island was one place his father could not follow him, but considering the number of times he had already heard his voice at the back of his conscience, Will knew that he wasn't gone. That he would stay, whether it was his choice or not.

"Lead the way," he said, starting across the sand.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:55 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 23

Total Word count: 694

NaNo Word count: 24.888k

Novel Word count: 101.357k

I am mostly back on track with the novel. I still have no idea how long this is going to be, but I am happy with where we are and where we are heading. I have the next couple of chapters planned as well, so hopefully its going to be an easy journey. Although, in hindsight, I probably should not have said that. Writer's blocks have always been my biggest enemy and let's not get into my schedule right now.

In the story, Sara and Frank are once again teaming up to find the hatch. Sara gets frustrated and reveals certain truths she feels she should have kept to herself.

Today's excerpt: I am realizing now that I actually covered a very important part of the novel today; not really plot-wise, but character-wise.

Spoiler! :
She looked him in the eye, as he waited expectantly for her answer.
"He died."
Because of you, she wanted to add.
But she knew that wouldn't get that them anywhere. If they were to turn on each other for all the wrong decisions they hadn't made yet, then it was already over for them. They wouldn't last a chance.
Frank stood there with his eyes wide, realizing the weight of her words and there was nothing she wanted more in that moment than to tell him, to tell them all that it would be alright, that no one had to die. But she knew her words would not have any weight, not here on this island, where reality warped itself into whatever shape the creator chose for them. This was a game and the board was the island. They could run as far as they wanted to, but they would never escape the boundaries. Not until someone came and toppled the entire board over.
She looked at the man and wished she could give him all those empty reassurances she was so good at giving out in life, but she knew it wouldn't matter. They were the puppets in a play and until the man behind the curtain decided, they would keep on dancing and singing the same songs to his tune.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:12 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 24

Total Word count: 449

NaNo Word count: 25.337k

Novel Word count: 101.806k

Did not make much progress today, mostly because I was busy catching up on my sleep. But I think novel-wise we are still doing okay. I have already crossed my NaNo goal, so I am clear on that side. But I would really like to gain a headstart on the next 5 chapters as well

In the story, we follow Sara and Frank as they are joined with an unlikely ally. Sara starts to question Frank's motivitations and wonders if he is really who he claims to be.

No excerpt for today!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:17 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 26, 27 & 28

Total word count: 2106

NaNo Wordcount: 27.443k

Novel Wordcount: 103.912k

It seems that the weekends are the only time I get to update this thread now. Its tragic really. But Camp is almost at the end and at least the last two updates will be on time. I don't have the patience to update for each missed day separately, so I am just going to club them together so it doesn't mess with my total wordcounts.

Anyways, made quite a bit of progress in the last three days. In short, danger strikes the people on the beach, waking them to the reality of the situation they are stuck in. Suddenly everyone is in a hurry to leave the island and Will uses this fear in them to his advantage. The people are divided in groups and they all leave on their respective missions. Sara cannot decide which group to join, because no matter which direction she goes, she cannot save them all. Not at the same time.

Today's excerpt: Technically, this is yesterday's excerpt.

Spoiler! :
"There was a moment, you know," Daniel spoke calmly.
Will raised an eyebrow silently conveying the other man to go on.
"We were returning to the beach," he continued, "and we were scared and frustrated. We did not know where we were going or if we were going anywhere at all. I could tell that she was struggling to keep up with my pace, that the wound in her head was probably hurting her too much. But I was too frustrated, too angry. Seeing the woman and being tied down and held on the other end of a gun shook something in me. Memories that felt like dreams, I cannot explain them if I tried to, but I remember the feeling of helplessness, of utter despair pressing down like a heavy weight against my chest. I could not understand these feelings or where they came from, and so I took it out on her. I stopped us in the middle of the jungle and I unloaded on her just because she was there and I knew she could take it."
Will stared at him, trying to understand why he was telling him all this, but he just smiled a wistful smile.
"And do you know what she did?" he asked with a shake of his head, "She hugged me and told me that she knows and that she understands."
He then looked at him knowingly, as if he was sharing with him a conclusion they had both arrived at together. Will searched through his words inside his head, trying to catch something that he had missed, that explained why he chose to confide about a moment that felt rather personal to him.
"I don't understand. What are you saying?"
Daniel smiled, "I am telling you that I don't know her, but I trust that she is not an enemy."
Will nodded. He did not know what else he was supposed to do. Some part of him distantly acknowledged the fact that in no single moment during their short acquaintance, had he seen her as an enemy.
Daniel smiled at him, as if he had heard his thought and was providing his silent agreement. "And also," he said taking a few steps back, turning his body towards his tent, " I am telling you that its okay if you were worried about her. You don't have to wait for an appropriate hour in the morning to go check on her, you can do it now. I don't think she would mind."
Before Will could even begin to gather the meaning behind his words or proceed to follow that realization with a not so respectful reaction, Daniel was already walking away, with a purpose in his stride and a rather victorious smile on his face.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:10 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 29

Total word count: 548

NaNo Wordcount: 27.991k

Novel Wordcount: 104.460k

Did not write much today. Just a quiet moment Sara experiences before she has to once again face with the realities of the day.

The big climax is coming up though and before that, I really need to tie up the various lose ends of the story. The tough part will be bringing everyone together, but thankfully, I still have some time before that hurdle.

Spoiler! :
It was strange waking up in another's tent. For the shortest second, her mind struggled to catch up with her surroundings and fear gripped her once again as the memory of a dark shack and the cold end of a gun filtered through her subconscious.

She was quickly able to eradicate that image though, and she wasted no time in jumping up and out of bed. Her head swam for a second as she struggled to catch up with inertia. But the moment the objects around her vision stopped moving and settled into their normal inanimate positions, she walked out of the tent and welcomed the fresh air of the beach.

She had come to depend on it, she realized. It did not matter if she was lost or if she was just feeling the walls close in on her, the ocean had come to become her guide, her sole source of assurance that settled her and reminded her of the reality she was currently stuck in.

She did not know whether to feel comforted or alarmed by the fact.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:15 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 30

Total Wordcount: 856

NaNo Wordcount: 28.847k

Novel Wordcount: 105.316k

We now get to experience the calm before the storm. The group have gone out to the jungle together, but they are a little late in realizing that they have put their lives in the hands of literal strangers. Despite everything they have gone through together, everyone starts looking at the other with suspicion as ugly doubts create barriers that end up affecting their teamwork.

I enjoyed writing this part; its always fun creating tension between the characters and pushing them to the edge and watching them come out and be real.

Today's quote: Because why not?

The fire that drives you is going to be the one that burns you out someday.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Hey James?"
Her call was unsure, his name having slept from her lips almost accidentally. But he had already paused in his stride and he angled his body slightly towards her, almost like he did not want her to see the curiosity on his face.
She cleared her throat, trying to remember what exactly she had been trying to say. There were several questions that she wanted to ask him, but somehow another question pushed its way to the front. a question that had nothing to do with the island and everything to do with them
"You don't really trust me do you?"
She could see the slight confusion on his face replaced with the exertion of trying to come up with a barb that would satisfactorily turn her question around on her. But then she watched as he switched gears, simple curiosity smoothening out the smirk on his face into an even more confusing neutral expression.
"Why do you ask that?"
She shrugged, "Just wondering."
He nodded, his blue eyes pinning her with its uncaring intensity.
"You know the people on this island are actually scared of you?" he laughed, "They hear you and depend on you, but they resent you for it just as much. Its comical really. I have seen the various ways they look at you, you know? The admiring glances when you get fired up and head into the jungle of mysteries like you are a one woman army of your own. The suspicious glances that they pass every time something goes wrong and they expect you to clean up their messes with that magic wand of yours. And then of course there's the grudging resentment and fear when they look at you and can't decide whether you are an enemy or a friend."
He smiled, "But you know something, Giggles? You may know things and you may lie and keep secrets, and all of that," he said with a wave of his hands, "might make you the most dangerous person on this island. But I have seen the way you look at them - the furtive glances you steal every now and then as if you are afraid that someone might just look back. But that's where your problem is, that's how I know that you are not pulling the wool over us or leading us to certain doom. Because you care too damn much. Because you are going to try and save every lost cause that comes wandering your way. So I may not know who you are or what your endgame is, but I trust that you don't mean us harm. I trust that you want to get off this island just as bad as I do, even when I suspect you don't have much to return to. Does that answer your question, sweetheart?"
She stood still for a moment, simply breathing and staring back at him, standing stoically against the night. And then she shrugged.
"It was just a simple question. You did not need to make a whole speech out of it."
He smirked.

― Margaret Mitchell

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon May 02, 2022 2:22 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Well, I don't have the patience to track where I went wrong, so let's just continue.

a MOOD.

Congratulations on hitting your camp goal and surpassing 100k on the novel!! <33
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

659 Reviews

Tue May 03, 2022 8:32 am
RandomTalks says...

@Carlito Thanks so much! :)

― Margaret Mitchell

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye