Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo '22: Whimsicality

256 Reviews

Reviews: 256
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:59 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Whimsicality (the planning version)

I have no idea if I'll have much time to work on Camp NaNo this year, but hopefully I'll at least be able to get an actual plot planned for Whimsicality... ^^' The general idea of silly superpowers has been something I've wanted to write a story for since Camp NaNo 2021, but although I had fun drafting random snippets, I never really had a plan. I think that was one factor that led to me not making much progress during NaNo 2021. So yeah, my main goal is to plan out Whimsicality in preparation for NaNo 2022 (though I might write over the summer too-- we'll see)!
Good luck to everyone doing Camp NaNo this year!! =D

July 2021: Sort-of Superpowered
[NaNo 21] Whimsicality

Blurb (copy-pasted from NaNo 2021):
Spoiler! :
William’s always known that his destiny is to be a hero. After all, he’s the son of Benjamin Greyn, one of the greatest legends the world has known. But everything about him, from his clumsiness to his hair that simply refuses to be tamed, seems to scream “awkward pre-teen nobody.” Even his whimsy-- a magical quirk that’s unique to everybody-- is rather disappointing. Yeah, buildings can talk to Will, but so what? All his house ever does is complain about the cold and beg Will to clean out the gutters.

So when Will is invited to enroll at the Dewspire School of Whimsicality, he jumps at the chance to attend the prestigious academy and learn how to be more heroic. The only downside? Raina, the daughter of Will’s father’s mortal enemy, will be there too. And from the first day, it’s clear that she’s marked Will as her archnemesis.

But that’s not all; as the school year progresses, it becomes clear that there’s something sinister going on beneath the school’s sunny facade. As students attend classes on campus, something deep under the school grounds is stirring…

One thing’s for sure-- if Will’s going to be a hero, Dewspire is the perfect place to start.
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:40 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

The blurb sounds cool!! Happy to pass on some tips on preparing to write a novel if that's helpful to you :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

256 Reviews

Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:14 am
Spearmint says...

Thank you, @Carlito!! And ooh yes, I'd really appreciate some tips, if it isn't too much trouble! ^-^ <3
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

256 Reviews

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:52 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 1

Welp, I didn't do much yesterday, but I suppose I did decide that I'll keep most of my characters the same. What I need to work on the most is the plot...

Day 2
Plot brainstorming/idea soup:
- William's father fought against some stereotypical all-evil villain (like Voldemort in Harry Potter ahaha)
- Raina's father was some kind of lackey to that villain, but not actually evil (and he was wrongly accused for William's dad's death)
- William is going to fight against some enemy that's morally grey or perhaps against the same villain as his father (a villain who, as it turns out, might not actually be all-evil)
mint, she/her

=D

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind