147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:31 am
View Likes
Carina says...

A Timeless Future

carina? planning?? NOVEL???? hah more likely than u think

A science fiction dystopian coming-of-age story told in a not-so-chronological way that pushes you to connect the dots and place the puzzle pieces together yourself. Complete with super powers, goofy sillies, and broody angst.

This story is about lost friendships, finding yourself, and most of all, forgiveness. It follows the lives of six friends, in order of the headshots below: Alistair, Alan, Arima, Elias, Evaline, and Melani.

But really, this story revolves around Evaline and Elias, two unlikely but happy friends until the friendship suddenly shattered into a thousand shards of glass, and they both followed different paths as a changed person. From there, Evaline and Elias pass the baton of hero and villain. Who's the villain of the story, and who's the hero? Is it really that cut-and-dry?

Turns out, humans are complex creatures. We all have a little hero and villain moments within ourselves, and sometimes our nefarious actions are the result of growing up from a villainous environment.

Time will tell whether the two of them realize that or not.

Goals:
  • Draft an outline from ages 10-22.
  • Develop backstories more.
  • Finalize minor cast list.
  • Identify and list holes of plot.
  • Make a Writer's Corner thread.
  • Don't stress over this! Keep up and prioritize RPs, YWS responsibilities, (now-increased) work projects, and social life. This is only for fun, and I've got plenty of time to do this in the future if I don't finish in a month.

Not included:
  • The gap between ages 22-25 where I know (loosely) how the story could end, but not really how to get there.
  • Extensive world-building. Unfortunately this takes too much brainpower for me.
  • Writing... >_> someday I'll write it! But right now I'm happy as is taking baby steps.

I will be word barfing my progress like a journal entry in this thread, so there is probably going to be a ton of spoilers. Follow at your own discretion!
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:20 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

See you say you have no idea what you're doing but it LOOKS LIKE YOU ACTUALLY DOOOO CARINA. The concept of this sounds so cool!! I love a story that makes you put puzzle pieces together and wonder who can I trust and who is actually a good guy.
And your last point!!! Seriously don't stress. Camp NaNo (like all the crazy month things should be fun!) You're not the only one planning rather than writing during Camp and I think that's great! You can write it during regular NaNo ;)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:03 am
View Likes
Omni says...

I'm gonna echo Carlito here by saying that the whole concept of having your story be a puzzle that needs to be solved by the reader is SO AWESOME. I am always down if you wanna hop in and brainstorm some plot, but I think it's cool that you're focusing on the plotting first, and not really worrying about the writing just yet BUT when you do write this please post it on yewis and poke me so I can read and review <3
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

147 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:27 am
View Likes
Carina says...

;-; THANK U @Carlito and @vincian LOV U BOTH I APPRECIATE THE SUPPORt

also apparently I started the prompts but uh since NaNo is already starting I guess I'll just uh... post these two lol this is fine

Prompt 1: World-building

What world do your characters live in? A fantasy world? A sci-fi world? The real world? If in the real world - what place? What makes the world your characters live in unique? Describe in your thread what your world looks like.

The story takes place in future Earth, centuries past an event where DNA enhancements become common, and eventually the first superpowers are born (simply dubbed 'powers'). It started off small and innocent, but these powers are incredibly prone to mutation, especially when passed hereditary. Chaos, anarchy, and civil unrest slowly folded over time, but eventually exploded when overpowered people wanted to rule the lands and become a dictator. Thus began the dark ages, until the birth of the sectors were formed.

The sectors had rules to upkeep, peace to maintain. They're hidden utopias isolated from the rest of the violently vicious world... but our protagonists are slowly beginning to realize that peace comes at a cruel cost.

not me realizing this sounds like a brief summary

Prompt 2: The Beginning

Have a think about your opening scene. Write about what plot points will be hit and what information will be shared in your first scene, or first scene that you consider to be important.

The first twelve chapters will highlight the POV of the six protags at two ages for two chapters: 10 (past), and 19 (present). The past will timeskip faster faster than the present, and eventually they'll merge to the present-present. lol really focusing on time here huh
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

147 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:46 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Plot Holes? GRRRRRR

Gotta hate 'em! Below are plot holes or gaps in development I've yet to address that I'm hoping to get to by the end of NaNo. The spoilered bits contains spoilers - open if ya don't care.

• Mel. Why did the events happen before she was 12 occur? How can I tie this at the end without making it cheesy or over-the-top?
  • Arima. She has to be more than Evaline's support character in a pivotal scene. What was her relationship like to the others, and what happened after she graduated?
  • Evaline. How did she get to HQ? How did she rise the ranks so fast?
  • Alistair. I made this dude so boring. How do I make him more exciting lol. Also nail down his job post-rebellion.
  • The Rebellion. Who started it, how did the kids hear of it, and how did the information spread?
  • Elise. What action did she take after the pivotal scene, and how did that relay back to the military?

Spoiler! :
  • Elias. What were some specific events that happened in his time in the military? Stories will add more depth to make him depressed sad boi, and using his power as an excuse of not remembering seems lazy. Also, how could he leave the military?
  • Sohiro. Needs to be fleshed out, and figure out motivations. I want to give him depth and make him more than the flat villain everyone hates, especially since he's only working for the big bad. What were the specifics of the agreement with Elias? How did Alan get involved, and how did Sohiro influence him?
  • Alan. Ah yes, token dead character. Give depth! How do I see the slow development of naive idealist, to one who realizes his place in the world? How did that influence the pivotal scene and his relationship with Evaline and Alistair?
  • Evaline. How the heck did she leave The Order in one piece?
    • What role did Oliver play?
    • What role did Alistair play?
    • What role did Mel play?
  • Neanders. How did the MCs find the truth about them? Did anyone else know? What was their relationship with Mel and Evaline?
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

147 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:14 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Character Map

Basically a development map of which character is close to who. Big spoilers under the spoiler!

Spoiler! :

Refugee con is still not 100% something I think I'll pursue (might cut out entirely) but hnNNNg not my goal to figure out this month since that's da future

The names and some of the linkages are not super set in stone since I haven't fully thought of the development besides the overview basics, but yeet. It's a good start.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:30 am
View Likes
Omni says...

i kinda glazed over the potential spoilers but i love your handwriting!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:16 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Love an idea that has so much complexity you have to draw a color coded map of connections to help you remember what's going on!! You got this Carina! 💜

PS - Have you read Karen McManus books? This has big Karen McManus vibes to me, but maybe without all the murder :p
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

147 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:20 am
View Likes
Carina says...

awww thank you, you two <3 @vincian @Carlito

and carli you are such a cheerleader LOV U

I haven't heard of the books by Karen McManus lol not me having not read a book in 5ever but hah yeah this character map does look like a murder plot, doesn't it lol. although... I feel like, in my brain, it's not that complicated. But on visual? do be intimidating, esp with all the support charries. it be dat way sometimes
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

'Hush, hush!' I whispered; 'people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it; only they needn't keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights