Young Writers Society

Camp Nano April '24: SWAAAAAAN

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:44 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

WHOOPS. I forgot to post on this yesterday...

I wrote about a thousand words on "The Death of the Lady" yesterday! WOOOO.

Today, everyone seems fussy so lol rip word count. But I am holding a sleeping baby and maybe I can type one-handed now???? Wish me luck...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

THIS SCENE. XD (From the new chapter in progress...)

Spoiler! :
Solea heard a door open. Sergius stepped out and glared at her. “What are you doing here?”

Solea turned to Sergius guiltily. “I'm only coming to see Alainna. She told me to come over as soon as I was finished with my project and I just finished.”

Sergius raised his eyebrow. “Alainna wants you to come over at midnight?”

Solea bit her lip and tried to stand taller. “It’s official Lady business.”

“What are those papers in your hands?”

Solea swore under her breath and shoved the papers in the pocket of her robe. “What papers?”

Sergius narrowed his eyes. “Solea, you're a terrible liar. Hand over the papers.”

XD

On a different note... (book 1 vs book 4 vague musings...)

Spoiler! :
I reread the penultimate chapter of Book 4 and ahhhhhh. It's weird going back from Book 4 to Book 1, but also it's weird going from Book 1 to Book 4. Back in Book 1, there are several prophecies that are repeated that are just... horrifying.

Like...

1) Diamea is going to slay the last Conqueror.

2) Diamea will present the corpse of the last Conqueror to the Lady as a bridal gift.

And like, you read that sort of stuff in Book 1 and it's like, "WOW. THAT'S MESSED UP."

Worse, all the prophecies always seem to end up happening so it's not like you can just assume that it won't happen. Like, it will happen, but like... HOW???

Anyway, I still have to finish Book 4. One more chapter left! But like, I was rereading the ending last night and... it's actually a really satisfying ending, given everything. I am happy with it.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:29 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I... wrote about 400 words but I am also about to delete it all so lololololol.

Spoiler! :
I am TORN. I was writing the awkward scene of dooooom and... actually, I think it makes more sense if Sergius is not there. It's late. Sergius is irritable. He thinks people are stupid. He would probably enjoy some time by himself where he gets a break from their stupid thoughts. Methinks he would probably steal the bedroom of the guest suite and hide there at night with strict orders not to be disturbed... even if it would be funny if he confronted Solea.

But Archondid! It is night. He can see better at night since he's a Black Swan. He's probably got a lot on his mind. He likes Solea. He probably wouldn't mind the chance to talk with her privately. Also, his words would be more poignant than anything Sergius could say. XD

(Also, Archondid was never a very well-developed character in Book 1... the new introduction and this scene should give him some speaking time and make it clear that he is definitely one of the more important characters in the series, as well as clarify his relationship with Cyrus, which is one of the majorly weak points in Book 4.)

Anyway, I think I need to rewrite the scene.... which really only has less than a thousand words so it's not a huge deal. I just want to write about this so I can firm it up in my mind and think about it. xD

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 01, 2024 6:21 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

UH. I did write a little bit more for this chapter before Camp Nano ended, even though I didn't actually finish this chapter like I had hoped for...

An excerpt of new material, just because. (Archondid is so kind to Alainna...)

Spoiler! :
Solea paused and glanced at the letter in her hands. “Do you think Alainna is really the Lady?”

“Yes, she is the Lady,” Archondid said firmly.

Solea frowned. “She isn’t a very good Lady, is she?”

Archondid frowned. “Why do you say that?”

Solea shrugged. “Cyrus made the previous Lady seem like this really sweet lady who was always very generous and gave what little she had. Then there’s Alainna, who nearly starts a mini frenzy all for a stupid cloak.”

“Every Lady is a little different," Archondid said. "Some are tougher than the others. Alainna is one of the tougher ones. She had to grow up very quickly. For most of her childhood, she was raised with stories hearing how much Diamea hated her because she was a bastard. Then suddenly we Swans come into her life and tell her that she’s the Lady and she’s supposed to marry Diamea, the very same person that was supposed to hate her? It’s a lot to take in! Still, she has handled it with grace, considering everything, and has taken it very well.”

WE STAN ALAINNA.

...so I wrote that and a couple of other stuff during April before my whole family was engulfed by the plague and it was All Hands On Deck and OMG SO MUCH VOMIT AHHHH time. (Still kind of shivery and feverish, tbh, even after sweating it out in bed basically all of yesterday. BLEH.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 01, 2024 8:23 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Okay! Overall Camp Nano reflections post!

I had... ambitious plans. Very ambitious plans. But life smacked me on the face repeatedly. (Like, at one point, I very nearly died. O_O Eeeeeep...) Anyway, I did not do everything that I wanted to do and I don't really feel like this was a particularly victorious month.

Still... let's look at my original plans, shall we? Maybe I am being purposely down on myself...

:arrow: Do away with the Prologue!

I deleted the prologue! WOOOOO! I incorporated most of the information elsewhere! I still have to do a couple other things... Sergius's introduction to the story needs to be rewritten because he is not introduced to the prologue. And I am still introducing bits of the prophecy elsewhere. But overall, I think it is better. :)

:arrow: Rewrite the first chapter!

I... did not do this. I started to rewrite it, but I did not finish it. *flails*

:arrow: Write a new chapter!

I actually did this! I finished the awkward wedding practice scene. And I also wrote half of another chapter. :)

:arrow: Clarify Solea's role as the handmaiden to the Lady

I... started doing this. I think I need to read the story straight through and add it more. I also think the bulk of this explaining needs to happen in the first chapter, which I have not finished.

:arrow: Uclepidies's tragedy needs to be better incorporated

I started doing this, but I didn't finish. I trimmed Francine's dialogue a lot so she knows less... just enough to pique Solea's curiosity. But I didn't finish the scene in the carriage where Uclepidies shares his heart... and story.

I also hinted that the necklace Alainna has used to belong to the queen, though that particular plot point is more relevant in book 2.

:arrow: Frenzy!

Guhhh... I need to do this more. I introduced it a little bit, but not a lot.

:arrow: Break up chapters!

Hey, I actually did this! :)

:arrow: Trim the story!

Um... did I do this? I added a bunch of new scenes, but also I trimmed A LOT. I am curious... let me check...

The old version word count: 112,204

The new version word count: 109,986!!!

So YES! I might have added new chapters, but overall things have been trimmed! And I haven't finished yet...

Of course, I haven't finished writing some of my new scenes too. But like. I've probably deleted about 15-20k in this pass through. :) We'll call this a victory, even though I haven't finished trimming yet, lol.

:arrow: Additional scenes???

Uh... I started all but one the scenes and finished about half of them. :)

OKAY. So like. Did I finish a solid draft like I was hoping for so I could send this off to more beta readers??? NO.

Is the story kind of torn apart right now and full of missing scenes? YES.

But overall, I think that there have been improvements all around.

Going forward for book 1...

- I need to finish writing the new chapters/scenes.

- I need to trim about 10k of fluff (which sounds crazy but I can trim more, hahah.)

- I want to rearrange a couple of chapters due to pacing concerns.

STILL. Like... I almost died a couple of weeks ago, so maybe I should focus on finishing the last book, seeing as there is only one chapter left. XD

Anyway! I did not complete my overly ambitious plans, but considering that this month has been a trainwreck, let's just consider this a victory. XD

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed May 01, 2024 11:51 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Woahhh you got a lot done, Snoink!! Looks like you started pretty much all your goals, and completed some too :D (Also very glad you did not die.) Great job this Camp NaNo, and I wish you and your family the best of health!
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina