¯\_(ツ)_/¯

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:55 am
StupidSoup says...

I call flying mystical bird with delayed reactions. In other words xatu
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:36 am
BrumalHunter says...

@Tortwag, growing things like claws, wings, pinchers, etc. will be moves on their own. For example, that would probably be your character's first. Firing off pulses and aura attacks would then be a separate power.

Unsurprisingly, I finished Lucario first (abilities, gender, and personality), so here is an example of what his abilities list looks like:

Archibald Virtue wrote:Subject 244 - Lucario
1. Super Agility
2. Super Speed
3. Aura Sense
4. Aura Manipulation

That will be the order in which his abilities will manifest, but the delay between each may vary. For example, the Super Agility will appear first, and then a few days - or maybe even a few hours - later, the Super Speed will manifest. That's where it will end for a long time, as will be the case with everyone. Some may stop at one, others at three, but nobody will develop all their abilities simultaneously or in rapid succession.

Now, also take note that I didn't simply say "Aura Sphere", which means he could use any aura (but not pulse) attacks. The previous ability, "Aura Sense", is actually not a move in the games, anime or manga at all, but something that comes automatically. Not so here, which is why I said take nothing for granted. But don't worry about all your character's abilities now, or even once you create the CP. This is as much about characterisation as it is plot, so keeping your options open so that you could gain an ability that will benefit the team more is recommendable.

@15253, Xatu is yours, then. Keep in mind what I said to Tort above, so Flight, Teleportation, and Foresight will be abilities on their own. (See how quickly the slots for attacks can disappear?)
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Poopsie says...

O.o this moveset as ability thing is confusion g to .e. What would my slots be if I chose pikachu or umbreon or something
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

293 Reviews

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:32 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Let's see...

Okay, I looked them up, so here are sample ability lists for those two. If you end up choosing neither Pokémon, I'll probably use these as the NPCs' actual abilities. If you decide to go with one after all, feel free to use the example or make up your own.

Raichu (remember, they must be of the highest tier, so Pikachu isn't allowed)
1. Super Speed
2. Flashbang
3. Electric Flare
4. Paralysis

1. Super Speed means exactly what you think it does. After all, Raichu is fast, so that manifests as an ability. However, don't think he'll be able to beat a Rapidash Pokéman that also has Super Speed, since he'll obviously lose.
2. This is basically just the move Flash. (All superpower names and codenames are created by the onsite coordinator, so your characters can take it up with her if they don't like the names.)
3. Hah, this you will like. You see, where some moves are so unique, they're abilities on their own, others can be grouped. Electric Flare does this, so you actually score, since it includes such attacks as Thunderbolt, Discharge, and Shock Wave. Any arcing electrical attack is included, but attacks like Electroweb and Electro Ball are not.
4. This is an example of a unique move. Thunder Wave has a guaranteed chance of paralysing opponents, which is why it is the last of the four abilities.

Umbreon
1. Poison Spray
2. Dark Pulse
3. Shadow Embrace
4. Ailment Transfer

1. Though Umbreon cannot legally learn Acid Spray, it's Pokédex entries state the ability to spray poison from its pores when agitated. As the priority list below shows, Pokédex entries are the most important, so if an entry says a Pokémon has a certain attribute, you must include it.
2. Dark Pulse is a move Umbreon learns via TM, putting it at the bottom of the priority list, but the Pokémon Ranger entries mention it twice, thereby bumping its importance. (Interestingly, Mightyena and Absol, both also canines, have Dark Pulse for the same reason).
3. This is also due to Pokémon Ranger: "Umbreon is not only quick, it reduces visibility to make capture difficult." Thus, becoming invisible is stretching it, but blending into thr shadows works perfecrly.
4. I was wondering how to incorporate Umbreon's connection with the moon and the mysterious power it gains, when I looked at its Ability. It fits, so I merely renamed it Synchronise.

And there are your two sample ability lists. Some of the things I mentioned may have confused you, so here is the priority list I consider when assigning "superpowers":
♦ Pokédex entries
♦ type
♦ Ability
♦ stats
♦ Pokémon Ranger entries
♦ natural move set
♦ Move Tutor
♦ HM/TM moves
Also, the basic or most necessary abilities are learned first, while the more powerful ones are learned later or last. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:50 pm
BrumalHunter says...

@Verser, have you decided yet? There is no real rush, since the SB isn't due for months, but I need to know whether you're choosing Raichu - primarily because he may become a major NPC, but also because a rounded team is ideal and other participants may base their decision off your choice's type. You don't have to decide completely, though, just whether you're taking Raichu and what type you might prefer.
— Paul the Apostle

62 Reviews

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:54 pm
Poopsie says...

I'm choosing between umbreon, raichu, accelgor, and zoroark.

I am very fickle .3./

EDIT; Confagrigus.....for now o.o
Last edited by Poopsie on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Poopsiest.

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

54 Reviews

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:11 am
StupidSoup says...

jeezuz I just realized how op Xatu will be O-O

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:35 am
TheSilverFox says...

@AstralHunter: Just out of curiosity, what would the sample ability list be for an Aegislash? I'm thinking about making my character an Aegislash, because I think they're a fascinating species of Pokemon (especially given their ability Stance Change and their foreboding appearance, not to mention their penchant for manipulation and control) and I'm interesting in seeing how one would act in this planned SB.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

293 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:03 am
BrumalHunter says...

@Verser, your decision (for now, as you said), is noticed. However, Raichu is now unofficially off the table, so if you hypothetically decide to go with him after all, good luck convincing me to allow it. :P

(I am glad you chose Cofagrigus, though, since I feel this is an excellent opportunity to put the spotlight on some otherwise overlooked Pokémon.)

@15253, at first, all of the participants' characters will only have their first ability, with the rest being "unlocked" later on. Besides, the CP will have two separate ability lists: the first is about which abilities your character prefers, and which you will fill in with everything else; the second list is the actual abilities, and these I shall fill out as the SB progresses (it will be discussed with you, don't worry).

But yes, Xatu will, in all likelihood, be devastatingly powerful. In fact, only about 15% of the Pokémon of which I have create the ability lists are not OP.

I haven't planned him yet, though I have considered a few things. Nevertheless, I shall provide a list with the most likely options.
♦ Biosword
♦ Bioshield
~ If you have ever played Prototype or its sequel, then it would help greatly. If not, well, imagine growing your right arm into a sword at will as your first ability, and then growing both into shields as your next. That's what this will be like (I'll see if I can get my brother to take screenshots for me). Also, they must be two different abilities because they are two different formes. Moreover, I hope you realise these two are kind of compulsory.
♦ Foresight
♦ Mental Manipulation
~ These two I got from the Pikédex entries. I'd have attributed the ability to sense innate leadership to Aura Sense, but since destiny is also involved (and it's difficult to miss the Arthurian connections), Foresight was more fitting. As for the mind control, that goes without saying.
♦ Levitation
♦ Mundane Immunity
~ While it is easy to overlook, Ghosts levitate, even if it isn't their ability. In this case, I suppose it can be overlooked, but the sixth ability refers to the immunities to Fighting and Normal. For the purposes of this SB, it has been changed to all Physical attacks, because if a tackle, punch, or kick isn't going to work, no physical contact will. However, this means Special Normal and Fighting moves, like Aura Sphere and Hyper Beam, will now have an effect.
♦ Shadow Sneak
~ This is just another suggestion and still involves attacking with shadows from behind, but really, you'd be a fool to choose this over the other options. Frankly, if you don't choose Aegislash, he's getting the first four listed abilities in that order. (So, that means Biosword, Bioshield, Foresight, Mental Manipulation.)

Oh, and as a final note, Aegislash's high stats don't make it eligible for certain stat-related abilities, such as Fortitude (high health), Super Strength (high Attack), Super Speed (high Speed), Super Agility (I had rock and paper, so I needed scissors), Super Resistance (high Defence), Hyper Resilience (high Special Defence), or Giga Resistance (both SR and HR), simply because he has two different formes that determine these stats. Thus, they will be represented by using the sword or the shield.

Any other questions? Please, I'm more than happy to answer.

PS: 15253, Xatu must have either Foresight or Future Sight (or both, though the latter focuses less on divination and more on attack). Flight will probably also be present (Xatu has wings, so wings must sprout), but other obvious options include Teleportation, Psychic Wave, Psychic Orbs, Light Beam (Signal Beam), Life Leech, Mystic Chanting, Protective Barrier, Piercing Vision (Miracle Eye), Ailment Transfer (Synchronise), and/or Mirror Barrier (Magic Bounce). That's quite a lot. Just keep in mind the character will have suffered amnesia, so unless Xatu becomes an NPC, there won't be too much wisdom going around.
— Paul the Apostle

62 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:50 am
Poopsie says...

what would be the moveset for confagrigus
The Poopsiest.

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

293 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:50 am
BrumalHunter says...

@Verser, there are actually a lot of options:
♦ Enthralling Touch
♦ Levitation
♦ Mundane Immunity
♦ Super Resistance
♦ Shadow Ball
♦ Icy Haze
♦ Protective Barrier
♦ Baleful Fire (Will-O'-Wisp)
♦ Debilitating Hex
♦ Malicious Curse
♦ Destiny Bond
♦ Mirror Barrier
♦ Pain Split
♦ Energy Ball
♦ Trick Room

Enthralling Touch should be the fourth ability, but as for the rest, the choice is difficult. Super Resistance and Mundane Immunity is interchangeable - the former means you still get hit, but receive little physical damage, while the latter means you receive no physical damage, but beware of Foresight or Odour Sleuth; of course, you could always have both. Also, you need an offensive ability, so Baleful Fire and Debilitating Hex make for a good combination, but Shadow Ball is perfectly fine too. Trick Room can grant him Super Speed while removing others', but only in the room. Malicious Curse, Destiny Bond, and Pain Split are also viable (and appropriately eerie) options.
— Paul the Apostle

62 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:16 pm
Poopsie says...

♦ Baleful Fire
♦ Mundane Immunity
♦ Shadow Ball
♦ Enthralling Touch
The Poopsiest.

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

54 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:47 pm
StupidSoup says...

Growing wings? That'll be...painful ._.

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

293 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:22 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Well, growing implies a long term addition, @15253, so yes. Sprouting wings should therefore be even more painful, but since Pokémon work with pseudomagic/pseudoscience, it wouldn't be.

@Verser, that is a fine combination of abilities - you even got the order right! Just remember, your character will not be immune to physical attacks at first, but the ghostly fire he will have from the beginning.

As for everyone else (if there are actually people subscribed to this), you will have to guess which Pokémon the subjects are, since Arceus won't magically know. Oh, and I shan't provide much assistance in that respect. ;)
— Paul the Apostle

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet