z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:45 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh?” Derik asked, curious as to the housing set up they were to face. He hoped at the very least he’d be near the three charges with him now.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:48 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Those will be at the barracks, since you're military," she replied. "If you'd like that changed I'm sure we could ask Lord Ash to make accommodations."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Not at all, that’s fine.” Derik shook his head, but eyed Jerica. He’d need to think about what to do about her. She was exactly the age that he worried about her constantly, especially around strange men. He knew she was more than capable of protecting herself. But still. It was his job to fret over her. Especially in situations like this.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:54 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Very good, sir." She started up the stairs. "Lord Ash is in his office. How many of you strictly need to be there?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:00 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Nice avvie!)

“I’d prefer all four of us,” Derik said. “…but if his lordship is uncomfortable with that, then Kieran can wait in the hall.”

Jerica’s gaze snapped up to his face, brow furrowing. But a single warning look from him shut her up and she sullenly closed her mouth again without saying anything. That wasn’t fair. Surely Ash had a big enough office to fit an extra little boy.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:01 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Why thank you! It's a political statement)

She looked toward Kieran and shook her head. "Oh, I'm sure the little fellow won't be a concern at all."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:06 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Oh dear xD)

“Wonderful.” Derik nodded. “I appreciate that.”

Kieran grinned, then sobered as he realized that meant he was going to have to meet Lord Ash. He didn’t like that at all. He sounded terrifying. For every bit that Derik had tried to mellow out Jerica, he’d tried to give Kieran a pep talk. And yet both efforts were only somewhat effective.

Oh well. At least he was short. And young. And small. And it was usually relatively easy to hide behind Jerica. She always had such a commanding personality and took up so much room in any room she was in it was easier to slink into the shadows.

With any luck, that’d work for him this time.

(Rip Kieran xD I get the feeling the more he tries to hide the more Gaius is going to notice him haha)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:08 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh most definitely. But the good news for Kieran is that Gaius is down a leg and is generally just a skeleton with some skin on)

(Though that in of itself may be terrifying)

They reached the top of the stairs, and the maid led them to a large pair of doors. She knocked. "Lord Ash, your other guests are here."
"Show them in," came the reply, thin-voiced but trying hard not to sound utterly exhausted.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:13 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(O o f)

Derik gave Jerica a stern look. Their only shot at a first impression. He’d impressed upon her the importance of doing a good job of it. Of keeping her mouth shut. And, almost importantly, keeping her opinions off her expressions. That’d be the miracle for her to manage.

She furrowed her brow slightly and nodded once, silently acknowledging him. Mouth shut. Got it.

She straightened her shoulders and tapped Kieran’s shoulder, gesturing for him to do the same. He mimicked her posture, both lifting their chins.

Derik glanced at the maid, waiting for her to open the door or to gesture for him to.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:16 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The maid opened the door and stepped to the side so she could keep it open for them.
Gaius was sitting at his desk with his crutch to one side, head up but with an expression of polite wariness on his face. His eyes flicked over each person, taking in what he could from the initial impression.
"General Ainsley, I presume," he said with a tiny nod. "To what do I owe this visit?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:32 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Lord Ash,” Derik acknowledged with a nod, striding into the office. He had a friendly and warm energy, though clearly defined with professionalism fit his position. He extended his left hand to offer a shake, but slowed before he was within arms reach, waiting to see if the gesture was welcome. “It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance. We’re on a diplomatic tour of the area on behalf of Governor Ainsley and were hoping you’d have some time for us to get to know each other while we’re up this way. We greatly appreciate the hospitality you’ve already shown us.”

Derik was taking in the scene in great detail, from Ash and his body language down to the decor in his office. But it wasn’t obvious that he was paying as close of attention as he was.

Rek had a similar soothing persona as he followed close behind his father, though staying a polite distance back. He was a bit more obvious about observing the room and Ash, but it was clearly curiosity not malicious.

Jerica’s eyes were sharp and alert as they darted around the room. Ash wasn’t a threat. That much was obvious the moment she laid eyes on him. But what was he like? She wasn’t even trying to hide it as she scanned the room. Well. She tried. But she failed miserably. And that was okay with her.

Kieran was at her right elbow, doing his best to stay in her shadow, invisible. He was small and anxious and quickly dropped his gaze after a single glance at his lordship Ash. He didn’t belong here.

(Gaius being Gaius, he’ll no doubt notice how similar Derik and Rek look to Ky and Zander tho their energies are totally different from both of the others)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:03 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I did wonder about that; thank you for letting me know!)

Gaius blinked at the left hand, impressed that Derik had initiated and adapted so quickly. He shook it, and his eyes lingered on him and Rek for a moment. His brow crinkled momentarily, then smoothed out. "D'Ara did mention you, briefly," he said with a nod. "What does Governor Ainsley seek to gain in this diplomatic tour--which features high ranking military officials, I see, but not the Governor himself."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:04 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

( ^-^ )

He heard what Ash was implying. In fact he’d told Levin that this is what the reaction was going to be. But did he listen? Noooo. He never listened.

“My brother trusts my judgment as far as foreign affairs goes and prefers to let me navigate them for the most part,” Derik offered. “He’s got a lot to tend to domestically, and I’ve got excellent subordinates who are covering in my stead since we are in a time of peace. The purpose of this tour is two-fold; both to ensure the continuity of that peace and establish trade routes. Our country is attempting to become more globalized. We’ve got grain and finely-crafted metal works to offer, and are interested in seeing the options of what may be available in return. Broadly.”

Rek offered a tiny smile when he noticed Ash’s gaze lingering on him. Had he already gathered Rek was Derik’s son? Best to make an extra-good first impression, then. Make his father look good through a likeable son.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:06 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I see." Gaius leaned back in his chair, gesturing to four others that had been situated in front. "Please sit, then; tell me about these metal works and I'll see what I have to offer in return."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:16 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Thank you.” Derik dipped his head and sat in the second chair from the left, directly in front of Gaius. Rek sat in the one to his left. Jerica took the one to Derik’s right, and then put Kieran to her own. He didn’t at all like how close they were to Lord Ash now. But he was still doing his best not to cower… too much.

“Weapons are one of our country’s strengths. I won’t insult you by having her draw it, but Jerica’s sword is one of the finest I’ve ever laid eyes on.” Jerica actively resisted the urge to move her hand to it. Derik continued, “armor as well. But also dishes, utensils, decorations. About anything you can imagine we could have contracted.”

[they/he]

It always seems impossible until it's done.
— Nelson Mandela