z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri May 07, 2021 3:41 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Oscar pouted, but he bounded ahead of the procession after a moment, circling back occasionally to gawk at Petrir.
Tomhas and Anneke spoke in hushed tones at the head of the group, Anneke now carrying Peter by her hip.

Lyra caught up to Ky, followed by Anneliese.
"How are you liking our home so far?" she asked her. She herself was nearly overwhelmed at the prospect of being home. Everything was so familiar, and a few moments ago she'd nearly cried at the sight of a caracal statue.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri May 07, 2021 3:43 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"It's very nice!" Ky said brightly, smiling at her. It was also nice that Lyra seemed to be warming up to her. "I bet you're glad to be back."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Words can't describe it," Lyra said honestly.
"I bet you'll be over it in a few days." Anneliese grinned impishly. "You'll have your nose buried in a book by tonight, I'll bet you five loops." Lyra gave her a playful shove.
"Nothing could make me want to be away again," she retorted. "I'll just hide if you rowdy bunch get too be too much for me."
"Like you usually do."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 3:49 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky kept smiling as she watched the playful banter between them. She'd always thought it would be fun to have a sister. But that wasn't what the gods had planned for her. She was almost glad. She certainly didn't have to live with knowing her Papa was dead and her sister was sold off as a slave to someone else -- or, even worse, that Aleth might have bought them together.

Tadaaki watched silently, feeling his chest get a bit tight. What was his little girl going to be like? Would she also be enchanted by the kitten? Would she be friends with Oscar and Anneliese? They seemed like kind children. He bet she'd get along with them just fine. He couldn't wait to finally get to see his own daughter again.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 3:52 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ky, do you like jousting?" Anneliese asked after a moment. Lyra rolled her eyes. Of course she was going to start talking about jousting; it was the only thing her sister really cared to talk about.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 3:54 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh, um... I'm not sure," Ky answered. "I've never really thought much about it. Do you like it?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 3:57 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm taking lessons to be a professional," Anneliese said immediately. "It's the most amazing sport. I have my own horse and everything--a gelding, of course, but I bet I could handle a stallion. Father's getting me fitted for my first proper lance in a few months."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"That's amazing!" Ky said admiringly. "Lady Barraster gave me a few sparring lessons with a short-sword. I'm quite terrible at it but I really enjoyed it. I'd like to watch your lesson sometime... if that's okay."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 4:01 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That would be great! And I'm sure we can get General Wai or her brother to train you. They're amazing! If you want, of course. Swordsmanship isn't for everybody. Mother can't do any weapons at all."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 4:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky felt excitement bubbling up in her again at the prospects. "I'd love that... if it's not inconvenient! I don't want to be a bother. I'm happy to just watch if that's easiest."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"General Wai is busy with the war," Lyra reminded her sister. "Her brother will probably be available, though." She quite liked the Wais. She'd met their mother once; her father said that D'Ara Wai was a great friend of the Loquiturs and the Ashes, though she was throwing her support behind the Loquiturs in this fight. The Wais were a very intelligent and dangerous family, but Lyra mostly liked listening to them tell stories.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 4:27 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Or even a soldier," Ky offered gently. "I'm absolutely terrible. I'm quite certain that anyone that's trained even a little with a sword would be able to help me a lot. I don't want to be a bother."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 4:31 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"No, we should definitely get Master Ka'Nor on the case," Anneliese insisted. "I bet he won't mind, and neither will Father."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky smiled slightly and bobbed her head, glad to have people she could actually talk to instead of having to fear. "I'm happy with whatever is most convenient. I feel very privileged to be here at all."

[they/he]

935 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2021 9:23 am
Shady says...

(Hey! Are you still interested in writing for this? No pressure at all, I just wanted to gauge interest. I'm still super down to pick this back up at some point if you want to, I was having a really good time with it, but again, no pressure if you're not feeling it anymore. Hope you've been doing well -- saw you graduated recently btw, congrats!!!)

[they/he]

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher