z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 18)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:09 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius smiled wryly. "I won't tell if you don't."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:10 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded hesitantly, feeling uneasy about that response. She didn't want to be upset with all of her uncles at once. Maybe she should just pretend that this was okay? Even though it felt like he was putting her in direct danger by doing so. Oh well. She'd be dead in a few months regardless. Who cared?

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:12 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It'll be down on the lowest of the low. I've got my most discreet people on the job--almost no chance of us being found out, and no way they could trace it to you. I promise you, Ky."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:17 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Okay." Ky nodded hesitantly. "I just... am hesitant... if it's dangerous enough I can't even know my own name... I just..." She blushed, fidgeting again. "Would like to... stop poking things that put our family in danger, via me."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

His brow furrowed. "If you'd like, I'll stop, then. I hadn't realized you were that concerned. My apologies, Ky."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I..." Gods, she still didn't like apologies. "I... don't know. I... am torn... I don't know."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Consider it and let me know what you think, then."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Okay." She nodded. "... Thank you. I... appreciate that."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:32 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius dipped his head. "I should have consulted you anyway."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:34 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky shrugged, not sure how to respond to that. Probably, yeah. But it felt egotistical to say as much. And she didn't want to disagree and embolden him to continue poking it until she was sure it was okay. She hesitated, then forced a little smile, trying to ease the awkwardness.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:36 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius didn't return it. "Right, then. I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast. Enjoy your dinner."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:37 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Hers faded and she nodded. "You too." She pulled open the door to take her exit.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius sat back down and went back to reading his letter.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:42 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky milled about for the rest of the evening and night. She needed a bit of a break from Jerica after how upset she'd gotten early about the Drummers and gods and heralding and everything, but they'd made up by evening, and she was planning on spending time with her the next morning before the nonsense meeting.

They'd both decided to wait to tell Derik and Zander until tomorrow. There was too much to think about. And they both felt too smothering.

By the time Ky got to her room, she was exhausted. She'd taken to dragging her blankets into her washroom and constructing a little nest in the floor that she slept in, though she didn't tell anyone, and made sure she was awake and had remade her bed before any of the maids would possibly come in to see it. That wasn't hard. She didn't sleep much.

Changing the lock helped her peace of mind. So did being able to lock the washroom. Two layers of security. But she didn't sleep well, despite the furs. And her dreams were fitful when she finally managed to drift into them.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I'll let you establish setting; it can be anywhere)

she/her

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites