z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 11)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon May 30, 2022 4:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky fell silent, glaring down at the letter. She wasn't sure she even wanted to read the rest of it at this point. What other stupid decisions was he going to talk about next? Perhaps he'd fired his entire military? Torched their entire food reserves? Gave away every last coin he owned? If he was this set on self-destructing, gods knew what else he may have done.

So she didn't. Instead settling for pacing angrily and anxiously.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon May 30, 2022 4:10 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius watched her, drumming his fingers on the desk. He'd expected sadness, tears, maybe. Not anger like this. It was good, he supposed. She should be angry. Her father had made an idiotic decision--an irresponsible one.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:16 am
View Likes
Shady says...

They shouldn't have asked.

She could have asked forgiveness. What would he have done -- toss her off his doorstep? Of course not. He'd probably be angry with her and give her stern lectures about her stupidity. But then that would have been that. They would have reconciled, eventually. And she'd be there.

But no.

They had to play Gaius's stupid game. And now look where that'd gotten her. Absolutely nowhere at all.

It'd imperiled her father for no reason.

And she was angry at both of them.

But mostly Gaius; this was clearly his fault.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:19 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Would you like the room?" he asked after a moment. He needed to deliver Lyra's letters anyway. And this would be one of the last trips this leg would take up to the fifth floor.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"What?" She looked at him, then around the room, and shook her head. "No."

There was no chance in hell she was going to be in this study without him. Ever... ever.

But, well, she supposed there was no point in pacing trenches into his rugs when she didn't actually intend on speaking to him. Not until she could think of something to say that didn't involve being pissed at him and speaking out of anger. She slowly turned towards the door.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:26 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He shrugged and rose, taking Lyra's letters. "Well, if you have anything more you'd like to say to me then kindly do it now. I'm delivering these, reading the rest of my letters, then heading to the infirmary. I've been informed I'll be asleep for about a day after the surgery."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(would she know about the surgery or is he keeping it hush hush?)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:32 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(He may have mentioned it very briefly but she doesn't have to have known beforehand if you don't want)

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Wait, what surgery?" she stopped pacing to look at him, finally at least a little distracted from... everything.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:38 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

His brow furrowed. "I mentioned two nights ago..." She hadn't been at dinner that night. Of course. "I'm having my leg amputated today. For better or for worse."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:44 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She blinked at him. "Today?"

Gods damn, she couldn't be angry at a man who may or may not be about to bleed out to his death. Imagine living with that on your conscience: knowing that you were the one who had agitated him enough to raise his blood pressure to the point his body simply gave out. Or. Well. Even if it wasn't her fault, then the simple guilt of knowing you were angry at someone until the very moment he died.

She couldn't do that.

Couldn't tell him how much she hated him for what he was making Tomhas do.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:48 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Yes, today." He gave a nod, limping past her out the door and glancing at her. "Best to do it now, just before Sara leaves so I'm not healing all the way into my window to travel."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Right. Because they both were going to travel. And Tomhas, too. As they ignored their flagrant hypocrisy and kept her stuffed in her bedroom. She followed him into the hall. “…I hope it goes well.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:54 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"As do I." He glanced down at his leg, grimacing. "I'm not sure that I'll like it." That was vulnerable of him. That was all she'd be getting, though. He limped toward the stairs.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 4:57 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky looked after him; should she follow? Or would that be awkward? Where else would she go, if not her room? But… well… he was clearly trying to get away from her. So. She didn’t know where that left her.

[they/he]

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
— Neil Armstrong