Young Writers Society

Wanderlust

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:24 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Quan-Ling Li:

I stumbled backwards, the bag of coins in my hands. This guy was just taunting me now. I glared at him and threw the bag to the ground. They landed with a clank at his feet.

"I don't want them," I told him, crossing my arms over my chest. "I just want Shi."

He stared at me for a moment. I tried to keep my face blank but he saw it, the flicker of emotion....for Shi.

"You love her, don't you?" he asked, grinning back at me.

I refused to answer or be moved. I just wanted Shi and then I'd leave him alone. But no...he had to stand there acting all cocky-like and ruin it. I narrowed my gaze at him as he kicked the coin back to me.

"Refusing a gift from your Emperor now?" he asked, sneering.

Jemsie:

I stared as Quan was dragged out of the room by the grumpy guy. What was going on? I looked up at the Emperor and had my head forced down again, but not before I saw the glare he was directing towards his General.

"What about the strangers?" the General asked, turning the spotlight off him and onto us.

"Hmm," the Emperor mused. "The strangers." There was a long pause. "Take them away. They will be our little ex-princesses guests of honour."

The Guard behind me jerked me to my feet and I glanced to the side, seeing the others getting the same treatment. And then we were being dragged backwards towards the door.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:05 pm
elfwriter97 says...

Shi Louw:

I watch in horror, as Tau shoves Quan out the door, a hot tear slipping down my cheek.
Jemsie, who has now taken Quan's place beside me, gets her head shoved again, and I wonder vaguely why she doesn't just keep it down.

"What about the strangers?" The General asks, as Emperor Lou muses, "Hmmmm... The strangers."

There were a few moments of silence, before finally, the Emperor announces, "Take them away. They will be our little... ex-princesses guests of honor." He sneered.

The guards hauled us to our feet, dragging us toward the door once again. They direct us through a long, luxurious hallway. There must have been 50 doors, pure white, with beautiful shell-carved handles.

At the end of the hall, was a double-door, pure white like the others, but it had a beautiful dove carved into it, and the shell handle, was a soft, cherry blossom pink.

The lead guard, Tau, who had now returned from "taking care" of Quan, knocked lightly on the door, "Princess Tai. We have someone hear to see you." I rub my eye sleepily. I haven't slept in almost 24 hours.

I look to my right, carefully examining the others; Jemsie was admiring the carving on the door, Xavier and Ace seemed to be having a silent conversation with only their eyes, Cain was shaking, and Catiel and Atieno stare boredly at the ceiling, yet even I can sense the fear in their gazes.

The door creaked open, as I think the most beautiful woman I will ever see, stepped out.
Her porcelain face, tiny, rosebud lips, deep, grey eyes, and long eyelashes.

"Is the Wise Woman with you?" She demanded, and even when she was angry, her voice sounded like a song.

Tau shook his head, "Would you wish me to go get her for you?" he asked, and the princess nodded, examining us all skeptically. "Let them in. Guards, wait outside the door. If I need you, I will come." She ordered, and the Guards nodded obediently.

She opened the door wider, and the seven of us filed in quietly, and she motioned for us to take a seat. Jemsie, Atieno and I sat on her soft daybed, and Xavier, Ace, Catiel, and Cain took the oak floor beside us.

"What are your names?" She asked, and, as if on a drill, we all spoke our names, in an orderly line. She nodded approvingly, "You may call me Tai Xue if you wish... but I prefer just Tai." She replied, and offered a small smile.

Her eyes looked distant, and hollow almost. Noticing my observance, she busied herself, bustling over a tray, in which was filled with what looked like small butter cookies, and a tea set. She set out eight cups, and carefully poured the cups full of a good- smelling tea.

She brought the tray over on a small side-table, setting it down, and motioning with a hand for us to help ourselves. We each picked up a small cup, and sipped the steamy liquid timidly, waiting for someone to break the awkward silence.

Luckily, the Wise Woman saved us, bustling in, nodding politely to the princess, and examining us carefully. "This is my dear friend, Wise Woman." The princess smiled affectionately at the Wise Woman, who returned it just as kindly.
I don't have ADD, I just- SQUIRREL!!!

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:23 pm
AngerManagement says...

Atieno

I watched the whole entire shibang with my eyes half closed. This place had the worst customer service in the whole world.....Okay I'm joking-yes I do have the occasional psychotic joke with myself while we talk to some freaking wise woman!.

"Okay. Time out!" I yelled and stood at the center of the room. "You're the princess right?" I asked not really waiting for an answer.

"You can let us out of here right." I said my eyes narrowing into slits. "Then why the fu-hell are we here!" I screamed in frustration.

The princess glanced at me and then look down.

"Are you mute?" I screamed shrilly. I have had it up to here with this stupid kidnapping business. I Atieno Lucan am no victim!

"I...I" She started but I didn't want her answer.

I was leaving and soon. These guys didn't intend to let us leave for long.

I sat on the floor and glared at anyone who came near me.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 pm
xX_white_shadow_Xx says...

Jia-li

We followed the group to the Princess' room, where we found one of the stangers screaming at all the others. I looked at her, decided what she needed, and told the wise woman. She nodded, her milky eyes looking about her blurrily while I tried to determine who needed what, my eyes wondering over to a certain one of the strangers every few minutes.

He was tall, taller than most men I saw, and he had the most brilliant blue eyes, the most magnificently rich color of hair. The wise woman pulled on my ear harshly, making me startle out of my staring. "Yes?" I asked, rubbing my ear.

"Have you not bene listening?!" She screeched, whacking my shin with her hard cane. I winced, but bowed.

"I'm sorry," I said, trying not to blush as I felt eyes on me.

"Yes, yes," She said impatiently, gesturing for me to get up. "Now, I need...Oh, let's see. Tea for her, incense for him, and a soothing paste for her. Some thing to settle the nerves, yes? Maybe even some spirits." I nodded, somewhat pleased when she ordered to my stranger for the incense, somewhat nervous. I mentally cursed myself for feeling as much.

I go about, making the tea for the girl sitting in the middle of the floor. She glares at me when I come near, but I'm used to peevish peoples. I just set the tea down carefully in front of her with out a word.
Is he dancing with a little boy in spandex?!

~Papa Doorbell

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:00 am
kidashka says...

Tai

I stared at the floor in silence, cowed by the girl's accusations. She didn't understand the situation, but the words still hurt. I was the princess of this empire and yet I could do nothing to get us out of here.
Closing my eyes, I prayed for something to save us, thoughts straying to memories of my beloved father, now dead by the hands of that traitor.
A thought suddenly occured to me.
I made my way over to the girl, standing before her this time without fear in my eyes.
"I am not the princess," I uttered coldly. "I am the rightful Empress. But my throne has been stolen by a murderous usurper, if you remember the man from earlier." I pause for a moment, looking around at the others in the room. "I do not know where you travellers have come from. But I do know that you were sent as a sign to help me, so if you want to leave, we will have to work together."

[white shadow, is it my character you described? i wasn't sure :wink: ]
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:23 pm
AngerManagement says...

Atieno

"I am the rightful Empress. But my throne has been stolen by a murderous usurper, if you remember the man from earlier." She said her eyes fastened to me. Blah! Blah! BlahI thought meanly. Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.....I was momentarily moving into a more important daydream when she started again.

"I do not know where you travellers have come from. But I do know that you were sent as a sign to help me, so if you want to leave, we will have to work together." She declared.

"I work alone!" I said. My face twisted into a ugly smile. "Maybe the reason you don't have the throne is because you don't deserve it. And some crazy stranger danger lady isn't going to change that." I nodded at the Old lady and returned to staring at the wall.

"Look you..." She said in that tone of voice, the one which I have heard all my life.

"No. You look I'm leaving without your help and I am getting back home." And with that I stalked out of the room making sure to pour the cup of tea on the ground-the smell of it was killing me.

I stood outside of the door and thought....Now what?
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:20 am
Lumi says...

Tau

I sneered down to the boy, kicking the coins back his way. "Refusing a gift now from your emperor?" Once the guards who were passing were gone, I knelt and stared straight into his bright eyes, whispering quickly. "In the northern hold of the Summer Palace, there is a series of three towers." Another guard passed and I hushed, and then continued. "In the center tower, at the base, there are three large slabs, all three your height." I checked over my shoulder, and then gathered the coins. "The slab on the right will move when pulled upon. It opens a passageway into the holding cell where your friends will be tonight."

I stood, sneering again. "Take the damned money and go, thief." I scowled, mimicing his uncle. "Before you disgrace your uncle's name further."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:52 am
ScarlettFire says...

Quan-Ling Li:

I picked up the coin, planning on ditching the damn thing later...unless we're going to need it. I nodded and he took off, back inside the palace. I waited a good while before turning and wandering off.

I sighed and found an alley to hide in until I attempted to break into the palace later. Somehow I knew that I wouldn't be moving for several hours.

Jemsie:

I lay back on on the lounge and watched the others fight through slitted eyes. What was the point? We were all in this together, all in trouble.

I suddenly sat up, remembering something I wanted to know.

"What year is it?" I asked. "What country are we in?"

Shi spoke up then, in a rather small voice. "It's the year 408 and we're in China."

Ah, crap. I swore and stood up, starting to pace. "Not good," I muttered. "Wait, AD or BC?"

Shi looked up and sighed. "BC."

I stood there, stunned. We were more than a thousand years into the past. "What the hell?!" I yelled.

24 Reviews

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Jia-li)

I watched the others quietly, but when more than one had turned the Princess down, I walked over to her, by head down. "princess?" I asked softly, not wanting to draw the wise woman's attention.

She turned to me and I took a shaky breathe before proceeding. "I-I just wanted to let you know all my loyalties lie in you. I would do anything for you." I bowed again and walked back to the wise woman, and took the incense she held out to me. I noticed my hands were shaking slightly. I walked up to my stranger, blushing a bit.

"Wise woman says you need to sit," I say, my eyes on his feet.

"What's you name?" He asks, sitting down. I find myself looking into his smiling face. I blush again and focus on my hands instead.

"Jia-li," I say, eying his pockets. He has a good handful of coins in the left one. I kneel down in front of him, starting the incense.

(((The charrie is Xavier, if that's what his name was. That ok?)))

~Papa Doorbell

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:35 pm
elfwriter97 says...

Shi:

I let out a sigh of relief, as Jemsie asks me the question I'd been waiting for what seemed like forever to hear. Jemsie swore under her breath, and the teacup she held shook in her hand.

The others stare at us with confusion. I lift my head, staring into their eyes meaningfully, and give a slow nod.

Jia- Li, the Wise Woman's servant, or helper, gave us each different things, depending on our condition.

She crushed up a small tablet, and sprinkled it into my tea. "Drink. You'll feel better." She assured me, her eyes comforting and warm.

I didn't know why, but for some reason, I trusted this girl, and sipped the tea, vaguely, tuning out of the conversation going on around me.

I could feel my eyes grow heavy, and I longed to sleep. It had been a long day, and I wanted a break. As if reading my thoughts, the Wise Woman gestured toward the door, "Come. You all need rest, as your travels have been rough." She replied, her voice hoarse and raspy.

We stood up, filing out the door obediently, but I pause near the door, and slowly turn my head around to look at the princess, who sits on her bed, staring sadly out the window. Sensing my gaze, she looks over toward me, and I stare into her eyes, and offer a small smile.

She returns it, and I follow the others out of the room, shutting it softly behind me.
We walk slowly down the hall, until the Wise Woman finally stops at a narrow doorway at the end of the hall.

"This is our guest room. Get some rest. Hard day. You need sleep." She instructed us, and we nod. She opens the door, gesturing for us to go in, and we follow obediently.

The spacious room was gorgeous, almost as divine as the Princess's room, with it's high ceiling, crisp white walls, beautiful wax candles on every surface, and 6 beds, 3 on each side of the room, with a small bedside table beside each of them.

I claim a bed by one of the large windows, and sigh, letting myself sink into the comfortable mattress, which is so soft i can only assume it's feather-stuffed.

I kick off my shoes, and slip under the warm quilt, Jemsie and Atieno whisper nervously on their beds, but I block them out, concentrating only on the rhythmic beating of my heart in my ears, letting myself slip into unconsciousness.

After what seems like hours, but I presume has been only a few minutes, based on the setting sun out the window, a knock on the wooden door awakens me, and Jemsie hops up, opening the door, as the Wise Woman nods politely, and sets a tray of food on a shelf, before retreating back into the hallway.

The food smells heavenly, and, forgetting how tired I am, jump off the bed, skidding over toward the tray.

7 plates contain a small bowl of white rice, a set of chopsticks, what looks to be the early stage of kung pow chicken, noodles, and a small slice of bread.

I pick up one of the plates, bringing it over to my bed. I sit on the floor, my back resting on the side of the mattress, resting the plate in my lap, as I spoon the food into my mouth, devouring every mouthful.

I look up to see Jemsie, Atieno, Ace, Xavier, Cain, and Catien, who have mimicked my eating arrangement, carefully chewing their food, obviously mulling over the past events over the last couple of days.

But, I prefer not to at the moment, as I polish off my meal. When the bowl is practically licked clean, I haul myself up, setting the bowl on the tray, padding over to my bed, where I collapse onto it, and let my mind go blank.
Last edited by elfwriter97 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have ADD, I just- SQUIRREL!!!

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:49 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Um, everyone is meant to be in the same room. Please read the DT.

Link to DT: post690406.html#p690406

You may have to go back a page.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:10 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Tau Cai; Midnight in the High Gates

I breathed out, watching the smoke rise over my head and off into the star-streaked sky. I clenched my fist over the holster of my sword, turning my eyes up to the sky. "One hour. He has one hour."

Avoiding the other soldiers, I descended into the Palace halls, stopping outside the room where the strangers were sleeping. Motioning for the other guards to join me, I shoved the door open with a yell. "Off your murderous asses! You are all under arrest for the murder of Quan Ling-Li!"

My men seized them all, wrestling with their still-sleeping bodies to stand straight and ushered them out together. "To the northern dungeon."

---

The dark, dank walls of the dungeon leaked with midnight dew. Vines stretched from between cracks and only two shafts of light broke through the darkness from shielded windows high above. Once they were all in the pit, my men left them, leaving only the seven of them and myself. "May the ancestors intercede for your souls."

Turning, I swept my body from the dungeon, checking the moondials for the hour. Ten minutes. Ten minutes until Quan would free them. Hurry, boy.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

24 Reviews

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 pm

Jia-li)))

I sat in the wise woman's musty, dusty room, thinking about the strangers. They seemed innocent enough (well, some of them) and I wanted to help them. I sat in front of the wise woman, ready to say these things out loud, and pay the consequences. She didn't even look at me before she spoke.

"Go now, to their room. If they are not there, the dungeon." I saw a smile on her soft, wrinkled face, and I smiled to myself as well. She had become as much of a grandmother to me over the years as she had become the Princess' comfort.

I got up quietly, and left the room.

~Papa Doorbell

212 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:35 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Quan-Ling Li:

I snuck around to the place that guard had told me to go and leaned against the wall. Ten minutes to midnight. I looked up at the moon and waited.

It was a long wait but eventually the moon was almost directly overhead and it was time...

I turned to the wall and pushed the slab on the far right. There was a loud click and then the stone shifted to the side with a huge grinding noise of stone grating on stone, revealing a narrow stone passageway.

Jemsie:

The others hadn't noticed... They hadn't noticed. I had though. The princess and the wise woman had switched places and no one had noticed. This was crazy.

And the grumpy guy was rude! Dumping us in the dungeon for killing Quan!? Quan wasn't even dead.... At least, I was hoping he wasn't.

It was really dark when the Wise Woman and her apprentice came around to the dungeon. The guards were muttering something about midnight but I wasn't really listening...

And the wise woman wasn't really the wise woman anyways. It was the princess. The Emperor was going to be furious when he finds out.

We all sat down and waited. Shi was in the far corner but I wasn't sure why and everyone else but Atieno and I were huddled up in a group, talking.

Suddenly the wall gave way to brilliant, pale moonlight at the far end of a long, narrow passageway...and at the far end was....

"Quan?" I whispered and everyone turned towards me and the passageway. I turned towards them, waving to the exit. "Let's go. Come on!"

Yes, we're all finally out of the palace. This is where we start running. In case anyone missed it, in the DT I suggested that the wise woman and the princess swap places. I guess no decided to include that in their posts so I included it in mine.

24 Reviews

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Wait, WHO switched places with who?!?

~Papa Doorbell

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice