z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Right, then." Sera took the drinking horn. "Lie back, please. Gentlemen, I'll need hands on his arms and legs. Be careful with him; he's got some broken bones." The men dipped their heads and moved into position. Sera retrieved a worn strip of leather from her tool area and offered it to Aleth. "So you don't bite off your tongue," she explained.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:44 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth whimpered in anticipation, then took the leather and clamped it between his teeth.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:46 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Without further ado, Sera took a pair of ugly-looking pliers and clipped the first toe just below the dead area.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth started to scream, but passed out before he got it all the way out.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:49 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Quick skiparoo to when that's all done and he's able to hold a conversation?)

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Sounds good to me!)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:58 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Much later, when Sera was sure Aleth would sleep awhile, she went to report to Gaius.
Gaius had been far more tired than usual these past two weeks; with the arrival of his sister and her family there came chaos. Cecily was an impulsive person prone to disappearing from the Keep if she wasn't watched closely, and when she wasn't trying to run off she was incredibly clingy and always complaining. Her husband, Garik, was a bull-headed man with a heavy-handed parenting style and a deep loathing for Gaius. Their child, Roshan, was a whirlwind of energy about the same age as Marcella and Mattathias. He was of the least concern to Gaius, though his relationship with his parents was worrying at best.

"He was quite talkative for a fellow who'd just escaped slavery," Sera said, seated beside Gaius in a far, hidden corner of the library. "And for two weeks in the snow he was in remarkably good condition. I only had to remove two toes." Gaius nodded thoughtfully, fiddling with the knob of his cane.
"I'll have a word with him when he wakes, if you don't mind."
"Naturally. He should be waking soon enough." Gaius dipped his head and leaned back, sighing heavily.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth felt feverish. His entire body ached. His head felt like it was seven times too big and his foot felt like she’d chopped the entirety of it off. But he ate the offered soup and tried to rest as he thought through what was likely to come. If he was lucky, Ash would come back here to talk. If he was unlucky, he’d be dragged before him in a receiving room. And if he was unluckiest he’d be tossed back out in the weather.

He wasn’t going to survive a trek all the way back to Tarr’s if that happened.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:09 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

A short time later, Gaius and Sera arrived back in the infirmary.
"Welcome back to the land of the living," Sera said to Aleth with a small nod. "How are you feeling?" Gaius stood by, watching Aleth carefully for any sort of deception.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:11 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Like you took my entire leg,” he croaked.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:12 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I assure you I did not." Sera lifted the blanket to check over his bandaged foot, then straightened. "Are you well enough for a visitor?" Gaius stayed standing for the moment; he wouldn't sit until he knew the man wanted to speak with him.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:14 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth looked over at Ash, just noticing him. “Of course,” he murmured, then tipped his head towards the lord of the keep. “Sir.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I see my reputation precedes me." Sera brought him a chair, and Gaius seated himself. "You've come a long way." He wasn't sure what to think of this man just yet; outwardly he appeared to be exactly as he claimed: an escaped slave. But there was something strange about his mannerisms...a bit pretentious, perhaps? He sounded as if he wasn't used to being in this position.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:20 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes, sir,” Aleth answered. He studied Ash for the briefest moment before averting his gaze. He wasn’t quite sure how to manage as a slave. But they’d figure it out. “I appreciate your hospitality.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Hospitality is always owed to those who are lacking it," Gaius replied. "What is your name?"

she/her

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf