z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 18)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:50 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica dismounted next but let Rek take the lead to provide a bit of a buffer between them all. Akeno, Kieran, and Ky all hung back a bit, waiting to see how it would go.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:55 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Rickard joined Sera.
"So what will you two be doing here?" Sera asked Ky. "You said the heartbox will take awhile longer."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:58 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Um... I don't... actually... know," Ky admitted, glancing around for Jerica. It'd been her idea to come.

"Oh, uh..." Jerica hesitated, glancing between them. "Y'know. Just like... looking around... and stuff... where should I leave Ranofer?"

(her horse)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:01 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"At the tavern with the rest." She pointed. "And the market's off to the right there."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:02 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Okay." Jerica nodded and started off in that direction, leading Ranofer along by her shoulder.

Ky blinked and then trotted after her as well.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sera, Rickard, and Bay went their separate ways.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:09 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Should we follow 'em?" Kieran asked, watching the girls go.

"Mm... I don't know," Rek admitted, glancing over at Akeno. "Was it just me, or did she seem like she's planning something?"

"... She's definitely did," Akeno admitted reluctantly.

Rek sighed and nodded. "... Well... I don't know..."

Akeno was quiet for a long moment, then shrugged. "We can check in with them in a bit, maybe? That way she can't accuse us of babysitting?"

"Good plan." Rek nodded and started for one of the vendors. Kieran and Akeno followed close behind.

"So... what did you have in mind?" Ky asked as they tied their horses off.

"Okay, so..." Jerica glanced around, then stepped closer and lowered her voice. "Have you heard of the Drummers?"

Ky physically recoiled, looking at her, aghast.

"... That's a yes, then?" Jerica pestered. "Where are they? Can you show me?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:11 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(They'd be at the market still but they have their main place of operation on the coast)

Several of the Drummers were off in the market in their usual space. Three of them were tapping gently on their drums while a fourth was loudly reciting old stories of the gods.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:14 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Why?" Ky hissed, recoiling another step away from her and looking around for help.

"I have questions for them," Jerica said, waving a hand dismissively. "Are they around? Will you take me? Please?"

"They're crazy people," Ky protested, shaking her head. "No good will come of talking to them. No good."

"Do they have drums?" Jerica asked, undeterred, glancing around. "Like literal, physical drums? Bet they do--"

She went charging off. Ky watched her go helplessly, gaping for a moment before she reluctantly followed.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:18 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Two of the Drummers were older--two men, both with long, neatly-kept beards that were in complicated braids. The other two were another man and woman in their twenties. All four were dressed in long robes, and the one who was speaking was the younger of the two old men. He looked to be in his fifties and had his white hair tied in braids like his beard. A pair of gold-rimmed spectacles perched on the end of his nose.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:20 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica spotted them almost immediately and made a beeline for them, slowing as she approached. Ky lost the nerve to follow and split off a few steps away from them, pretending to look at the wares of the vendor's stall in front of herself as she listened to see what her crazy sister was about to do. But Jerica didn't speak right away. For once in her life. Instead, she listened.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:26 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"...And Fjori reached deep into Hovus's heart and saw that Taela spoke the truth," the man was saying in a clear, sing-song voice. "'You have stolen from me,' he cried in anger, and cast Hovus's creations from the kiln before they could harden. They landed, warm and soft, and Fjori thought that was the end of it. But they rose, staggered, breathed. Hovus gathered the little beings up into his great arms, but before he could justify himself the Builder struck the troll down with one blow."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica had absolutely no idea what was going on, but she was here for it. This seemed like exactly the sort of content to teach her what was going on with these silly gods. She stood by patiently, listening intently.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Fjori looked down at the clay beings as Haelar took hold of Hovus and drew him through the veil, but it was not in his nature to destroy something without justification. He gathered them up as Hovus had before.
'Let them brave the cold of the trolls' lands,' he said to himself. 'They will not last long.' And so the first humans were made, unfinished and weaker than Fjori's intended inheritors the trolls, but persistent and full of imagination as Hovus himself had been.
When Fjori had gone and only Taela remained by the body of Hovus to gloat, Lograela rose up out of the sea in search of her lover. She wished to see what he had made with her gifts, but instead she found his form still and cold on the ground and the trickster god beside him. In a rage she hurled waves that reached out of the sky down toward swift-footed Taela, who fled without once feeling a drop of water on her head."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica buried her hands in her pockets, still listening intently and trying to squirrel away all this information. There were so many people — gods, she guessed. Names. Drama. But she was determined to remember it all and she listened closely to the tale without interrupting.

[they/he]

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights