z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 9)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Wed May 04, 2022 5:09 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What's the matter?" She asked. Emery watched in concern as well. "Where's Gaius?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed May 04, 2022 5:10 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky's gaze flicked between them. Was she allowed to admit Gaius was struggling in front of Emery? "Outside. Where's Sera?"

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 5:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Upstairs." She was tensed already; she knew something was wrong.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 5:17 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded and turned on her heel, striding back into the hallway quickly. Sara could follow her if she wanted an explanation. Surely she knew that she couldn't just tell her Gaius was hurt in front of everyone?

That'd embarrass him.

Embarrassing powerful men was dangerous. Well. She supposed he wouldn't hurt her. But her gut, whether she wanted it or not, feared the responses Aleth would have to her. And he'd flay her the instant he could stand up, if she announced he was having trouble walking.

She hesitated for a moment to give Sara the opportunity. But if she didn't appear in the next few seconds, then she was going to sprint for Sera.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 5:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara did appear, almost immediately after Ky left. She took her gently by the shoulder, worry in her eyes. "What happened?" she asked quietly. "Is he hurt or did he upset you?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 5:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky flinched without meaning to. Yes. The answer to both questions was yes. She teared up despite herself. "He started limping, like. Bad. And, I--I don't know what to -- I offered to get Sera, I-I don't..."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 1:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Okay." She didn't let go, instead pulling her in for a small hug before letting go and stepping away. "Thank you for telling me. Please do get Sera. Or better yet, find someone strong who isn't too busy and ask them to carry him up to her. Can you do that for me?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 1:59 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky tightened her arms around Sara, strangely comforted by the hug, but quickly let go when Sara stepped away. Right. Yes. Gaius needed her; not Ky. She nodded quickly. She could do that… maybe. “…who?”

Her first thought flicked to Tadaaki. He’d carried her up to Yeona many, many times to get patched up. But he would also feel like he was committing a crime against Gaius. And she didn’t imagine Gaius would allow it. So, who?

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 2:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Anyone." She paused. "Are you alright, though?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 2:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I’m fine.” She shook her head, brushing away her concern even though she was very, very much not okay. “Tadaaki?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 2:51 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara hesitated. "Maybe Tadaaki. You don't look alright, Ky." She gave a weak smile. "This happens sometimes."

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 3:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She didn’t know whether the ‘this’ meant it happened for people to fall apart like she was right now or if Gaius got hurt frequently. She also didn’t know how to respond. But it was clear she didn’t want her to get Tadaaki, and she didn’t know who else was an option here. She barely knew anyone yet. Ivar? But she didn’t know how to ask him. Should she go to the barracks and try to find someone? She was having to make another decision. It was too much.

“I’m more okay than he is!” She scrubbed her face, both embarrassed and angry that she was losing the battle against her tears. Again. “He almost fell and I tried to catch him but he caught himself and so I touched him for no reason and now he’s mad at me but pretending he’s not and I don’t know what to do or who else there is here because I don’t know anybody or where to find them or who he wants to carry him or, or…”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 3:48 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara blinked. "He wouldn't be upset by that, Ky. I promise. I can go find someone if you'd prefer. You look like you need a moment." She'd been planning on going to sit with Gaius but it seemed like Ky was in a state where searching for someone would only stress her out more.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 3:56 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Nice new avvie! The mustache is adorable)

Great. Now she was making this about her. Like the selfish asshole she was — stealing the concern when Gaius clearly needed it. She angrily wiped her face again. It was splotchy from her distress.

“I-I can be useful,” she managed, shaking her head. If Sara asked her to do something, it was for a reason. “I don’t have— I just need— who? I can’t make a decision right now!”

She was being such a burden. And Sara was going to be so upset with her if she couldn’t do something as simple as this request. Gods. What was wrong with her?

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2022 4:04 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Thank you!! It's a fanart/meme of a Magnus Archives character; I adore Kermit!Elias.)

"Ky." Sara looked at her, debating whether to hug her again. "Go to Sera and ask her for a heating stone for yourself. Mention that Gaius will be needing some poppy milk soon. Stick your heating stone over the fire in your room and then put it under your covers, then climb into bed and get warm, alright? I'll handle things down here."

she/her

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight