Young Writers Society

The Wonderland Rift

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:40 pm
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire

Within a few minutes of waiting, we found ourselves face to face with Haigha, bloody shirt and all. That meant it was him at the HQ for sure, that's the same spot I saw Jubiah stab just a few hours ago...
Jubiah.
I had been with him the whole time. Why hadn't I just asked him what happened? He of all people would've know if that little boy was the Queen in disguise. I looked at him and noticed how pale he was.
Wasn't it just earlier today you had stabbed this man in the chest?

I looked around the room, wondering where Ellon was, hoping he wouldn't mess this up now. I finally turned to Haigha and said, "So, our majesty has sent the March Hare to greet us. Last I saw you... you were trying to ruin my deal with the Queen."

He was silent. Of course.

"Don't be so quiet now boy. I hear you were rather vocal when you were begging for your life at Miranda's feet..."

Not even a twitch.

"I also hear the Queen is rather fond of you. You're her number one assassin, no? But you let someone as weak as this escape your capture?" Jubiah tensed up when I said this, as if he was angry. "I guess it does make sense, though. You being the best would explain why the Queens army is so terrible."

I saw a slight movement. Just a small, barely noticeable one. But it was something.
Maybe he knew someone in the army.
Wasn't he raised by someone in the Queens Army?
But that was after the...

"But hey, maybe you're not as bad off as you think. Look at you, as close as a soldier can get to the Queen. All because of your... uncle? Yes, it was you uncle who was in the Queens army, right? I guess you inherited his rank. I guess after all the families you were moved to, he's the one that paid off. He got you to where you are today. And to think it's all because you couldn't keep your mouth shut."

He seemed like he was two seconds away from killing me there, but I quickly asked, "So, where's the Queen?"
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:25 pm
Shady says...

Spoiler! :
Hey, I'm really sorry for not posting guys. Turns out my Dad had a Heart Attack, and I've been uber busy trying to keep the house running and help mom take care of him. Hopefully in a week or two I'll be more regular in my posts once again.

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

By the time Haigha and I had arrived at my rooms, even taking all the shortcuts I either of us knew, it was well after breakfast time- a fact that the gnawing my stomach wouldn't let me forget.

"Thank you," I say, slipping off the bracelet- popping back into view- and giving Haigha back his cloak. "I'll hurry down to the throne room as soon as I've changed. Until then, try to stall Lordshire."

Haigha bowed, and started to turn away, but something made me reach out and grab his shoulder. "Be careful." I knew that Haigha had been invincible, but I had no way of knowing how long that would last. And Lordshire was a dangerous opponent to face. "He obviously has something up his sleeve."

Haigha's eyes were sparking as he leaned down close to my face, stopping mere inches away. I stared at him, eagerly anticipating the kiss- one that someone else had actually initiated when he pulled away, bowed, and hurried down the hall.

"Damn," I muttered, as I strode into my chambers, pulling off the soiled tunic. Sometimes it really sucked to be the Queen. Though I should be happy that he tromped all around Wonderland with me in the middle of the night. Anyone else would've gone straight to the Captain of my Guard- who would've put out a city wide search until they had found me, and practically chained me to my bed.

I cursed when I looked at my pale body in the mirror- covered in grime, stinking of sweat. I didn't have time for a bath. A man who couldn't talk could only stall someone for so long...

I grabbed a damp rag and pulled it across my face, cursing again when it hit the tender skin of my face. Stupid! Dammit...how did I not realize that injuring Manny would be fatal move to my double-life?

I wiped off as quickly as I could, and splashed myself with perfume. I hurried over to my wardrobe and began rummaging through the gowns- low cut, revealing, mostly, which would show every bruise and nick that I had acquired throughout the night. Then I saw it...and a grin broke across my face. My funeral gown.

I struggled into it, fighting the lacy frills every step of the way, and some how managed to zip it up. I threw on a quick layer of foundation and that ghastly white powder that Jenny always put on my face before she let me go out- to at least lighten my wounds- and then put on my headdress, settling the thick veil down over my face.

I looked in the mirror and grinned once more. You could barely see me behind the veil- for that matter, you couldn't even tell for sure that it was me. Which means that...it wouldn't really have to be me...I could put someone else in my dresses, and make them rule for me...but not tonight. I want to deal with Lordshire.

I splashed myself once more with perfume and tucked a dagger into my skirts, reluctantly leaving the sword that I had accidentally taken from Haigha- which was, of course, mine in the first place, but I intended to return it to him nonetheless.

By the time I emerged from my rooms a few minutes later I smelled like a stale rose and was fighting my skirts- running was nearly impossible, and I almost fell flat on my face twice when I tried.

By the time I pushed the door to my Throne Room open, there was a crowd. Haigha was tense- about ready to kill Lordshire, it seemed. Oh gods, what did he say to Haigha?

"So, where's the Queen?" Lordshire asked, seeming to see that his own end would be very soon if he continued saying whatever had had been.

"That's a very good question, Lordshire. I wonder myself why you would be in the Queen's Throne Room, when she's not present to see you? I don't recall granting you access."

He turned to look at me, his eyes narrowed- suspicious. "Is that you, O Queen?" He asked, with a slight bow. I couldn't tell if he was trying to be mocking or not- but he was succeeding if he was trying to scorn me.

"It is," I say icily, as I take a seat on my throne.

"May I ask," Lordshire said, stepping towards the throne- before Haigha stepped in front of him threateningly. He stopped and smiled coyly . "Why it is, that you've got your loveliness concealed from our eyes?"

I could've killed him myself. His words were challenging, mistrustful, and mocking-- and I was far too tired, and hungry, and sore, and annoyed with the entire bloody Royal Family to take being slighted by my underlings.

"Because this is my mourning gown, and it comes with a veil."

His smile never faltered, but a bit of hate crept into it. "Yes, I assumed as much. Why is it that you're in mourning?"

My heart raced as I went over my alibi once more.

"Why, a woman who has just lost her husband has reason to mourn."

He looked at me suspiciously. "I had not heard that the King was ailing."

"He wasn't-- but I put him out of the palace. There's now a price on his head, if you see him."

Lordshire seemed startled. Good.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 pm
Alvarin says...

Haigha March
".. all the families you were moved to, he's the one that paid off. He got you to where you are today. And to think it's all because you couldn't keep your mouth shut."

I stepped closer to Lordshire, taking full advantage of the fact that I was both taller and broader than him. For a moment I was seriously considering hitting him, which wasn't like me at all. I was known to always keep my calm. Though people didn't usually insult me, not straight to my face at least.

"So, where's the Queen?"

"That's a very good question, Lordshire. I wonder myself why you would be in the Queen's Throne Room, when she's not present to see you? I don't recall granting you access."

I smirked. She sure had showed up at the last second. Her outfit wasn't the most appropriate, but it wasn't like she had a choice, considering how she had cut her face up. Lorshire's answer soon wiped the smile of my face, and when he tried to approach the Queen i stepped in between. I knew he was up to something, but I wasn't quite sure what it was.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:49 pm
megsug says...

Adonis
I backed away from a boiling pot as I dropped a seed as large as my palm into the red liquid. A little exploring had led me to a room that I supposed would do for a laboratory. It had a stove and one tiny counter, though little else. In all truth, I was just lucky the stove still worked.

I sniffed the thick smoke that rose from the wildly bubbling liquid and coughed. That was awful. I retreated to my bag, studying different charms as I pulled out all kinds of things, coins, talismans, bracelets- one that made you invisible-, leaves, dried flowers. I studied a shrunken head for a long moment, trying to decide, and regretfully put it down. I doubted the White Queen would enjoy the finer flavors of my culture.

The clouds of smoke turned from black to a off-white, and I stared at a metal vial that had been laying on the table the entire time. I tapped the table with a fingernail...

The newly emerged butterfly never knows if he can fly if he doesn't first attempt to leave the cocoon.

I sighed and opened the vial slowly. The liquid within was a highly reactive sap from one of the rarest trees in the mountains. It was known to explode when dropped... or mixed with the wrong elements. I padded to the red concoction and poured the tiniest bit of sap in.

Smoke, in a worrisome green color, poured out of the pot, and I nodded as the pot began to rattle. I stoppered the vial again and packed up quickly, closing the door behind me as I left the room.

I didn't even flinch as an explosion rained plaster down upon me.

Minerva
To the right...

Had this place always been so big? I could quite remember ever... Had I ever slept in this place?

I began opening random doors.

Storage, weaponry, occupied bedroom, meet room of some sort...

Now, I really just wanted a bed, a place that I could close my eyes for a few precious moments or... if fate was on my side, hours.

A man, the old man that had pestered Miranda to be exact, closed a door carefully and calmly walked away, his stride a bit quick but his face completely composed.

I raised an eyebrow. The spy in me, albeit the tired one, could not help but be curious. There was nothing suspicious about closing a door and walking away, but the really bad things never looked suspicious. They had a feel to them.

I glanced behind me. The old man had turned a corner, so I tiptoed toward the door, opened it.

There was an explosion. I felt myself fly against the wall.

And all was black.
Spoiler! :
There's some randomness for you. It's always good to have a healthy dollop, I guess. :smt003
Test

184 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:16 am
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire (Knave of Hearts)

She did it? She let King James go? And with a bounty on his head?
No. She wouldn't do something like that, she would've killed him on the spot rather than make a decision like that.
Wouldn't she?
Maybe she thought her disguise worked with her clever alibi, but I wasn't going to believe it until I was sure.

I shook the thought out of my head, knowing there were more important matters at hand.
"Yes, well, I believe we had a deal," I said, nudging Jubiah forward, "This boys head for the leadership of your army."

She looked at us, or at least I thought she did, and then turned her head to Haigha. If I was lucky, she was disappointed in him. Unfortunately, I'm never that lucky.

"It took you quite a while."

I found myself staring at her like an idiot.
Was she going to just act like she didn't try to sabotage me with Haigha?
Or that she'd tried to invade the rebel HQ with him?

When I finally caught myself, I said, "I had gotten a bit... sidetracked along the way." I shot Haigha a look, "Had I not been interrupted in the middle of my assignment, everything would've went smoothly, and I would've already had control of the army." I looked back at the Queen, trying to challenge her authority, "But I'm sure you knew that."

I could tell she just wanted to punch me in the face, but Haigha was the reason she remained impassive. Or was it the other way around. They both knew I was not in the right place to be challenging anyone.

"The prisoner was wanted by me for being a traitor. He was free game for anyone to capture. I can aid you ever so slightly on a mission, yes, but to complete it is entirely on you." She told me.

"Well as you can see, where your most elite soldier's failed, I've succeeded. I've brought you your traitor, now I hope you'll hold up your end of the deal."

"Lordshire, I bel-"

"And I also believe that I should receive some type of compensation for the actions against me by many..." I looked at both the Queen and Haigha once more, "Many, of your soldiers."

"You are in no place to be bargaining right now, Lordshire." she said icily.

And I really wasn't in any place to bargain, but I had no choice.
Even though I knew that she had seen just as I had that Haigha couldn't be hurt, I prayed for the best, tapped my stick on the floor twice and looked at Haigha.
-Plato's Symposium

30 Reviews

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 am
VampireSenshi says...

Ellon

Me, Lord, and the other fellow walked into the castle, I stayed away from the proceedings - patiently waiting for my cue. The conversation was lengthy, I almost fell asleep to be completely honest.

Come.ON. Let's start killing people!

I perked up at the sound of Lord's cane tapping on the floor with two loud cracks, he was looking at the man called Haigha

I appeared out behind her, took my arm around her neck - and held my knife to his back. he tensed up but I had him in a hold that the guild taught to me very early that is absolutely impossible to break. His eyes were wide with surprise.

I give a sinister laugh, in a sort of whisper tone into his ear and whisper.

"Gotcha..." I eye Lord for more instructions.
<YWS>
<NE1>

NIGHT is always watching...

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:34 am
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

After a few minutes of waiting in the throne room, Hiaga appeared in the doorway. He strode over, scrutinizing us with his superior- to- you calm expression. I pale, thinking he may just decideto execute me now for my stabbing him in the chest. Luckily, he doesn't seem the type that would lash out without thinking things through. No, he'll watch and wait.

"So, our majesty has sent the March Hare to greet us. Last I saw you... you were trying to ruin my deal with the Queen." Lordshire says, antagonizing him. I look at him, nervous that he will make Hiaga snap,ending my life.

He was silent. Of course.

"Don't be so quiet now boy. I hear you were rather vocal when you were begging for your life at Miranda's feet...". I can see the rage underneath Hiaga's calm exterior, buthe hides it well. He doesn't even twitch.

"I also hear the Queen is rather fond of you. You're her number one assassin, no? But you let someone as weak as this escape your capture?" I tense, hating Lordshire even more than Hiaga at the moment. I blanch, ready to punch him. The only thing that holds me back is that my hands are tied behind me. "I guess it does make sense, though. You being the best would explain why the Queens army is so terrible." Lordshire sneers. I see a barely noticable twich from Hiaga. Not a good sign. I glance nervously at Lordshire, even though I hate having to look to him for help. It was humiliating.

"But hey, maybe you're not as bad off as you think. Look at you, as close as a soldier can get to the Queen. All because of your... uncle? Yes, it was you uncle who was in the Queens army, right? I guess you inherited his rank. I guess after all the families you were moved to, he's the one that paid off. He got you to where you are today. And to think it's all because you couldn't keep your mouth shut.". Hiaga looks like he'sready too kill Lordshire- and possibly me as well. "So, where's the Queen?"
Last edited by Pencil2paper on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:00 am
Shady says...

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

"Yes, well, I believe we had a deal," Lordshire said, trying to be cool as he pushed Jobiah towards me. "This boy's head for the leadership of your army."

I narrowed my eyes at them and then glanced at Haigha smirking. "It took you quite a while."

Lordshire stared- shocked and bewildered- for several long seconds. He caught himself, and straighten his shoulders. "I had gotten a bit... sidetracked along the way." He glared at Haigha. "Had I not been interrupted in the middle of my assignment, everything would've went smoothly, and I would've already had control of the army."

He looked at me challengingly. "But I'm sure you knew that."

The more he talked, the more I wanted to hurt him. My fingers tightened around my dagger.

"The prisoner was wanted by me for being a traitor. He was free game for anyone to capture. I can aid you ever so slightly on a mission, yes, but to complete it is entirely on you." I said coldly.

"Well as you can see, where your most elite soldiers failed, I've succeeded. I've brought you your traitor, now I hope you'll hold up your end of the deal."

"Lordshire, I bel-"

"And I also believe that I should receive some type of compensation for the actions against me by many, many, of your soldiers."

"You are in no place to be bargaining right now, Lordshire." I said crisply, struggling to supress the urge to choke the bastard to death.

Spoiler! :
Not exactly sure what Ellon did...

Lordshire's only answer was banging his stick on the floor, and glaring at Haigha. Suddenly someone had me around the neck, dragging me from the throne- and a blade was pressed into Haigha's back. I gasp and freeze, glaring at the semi-solid form of a man in front of me, holding the knife.

"It doesn't seem that you are either, dear Queen."

I growled and, somehow, managed to get out of the man's grasp, and drove him into the ground.

"You think trying to assassinate me will help your case, Lordshire?" I spat, my face burning.

Suddenly the man lurched, kicking me off of him. I scrambled towards his dagger, but he landed on top of me, and started fighting me for it.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 am
veeren says...

Spoiler! :
Ellon just had Haigha hostage ^.^ I see he forgot to edit two of the "her"s in his post, so that must've confused you.
-Plato's Symposium

30 Reviews

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 am
Alvarin says...

Spoiler! :
I decided to go with the fighting about the knife situation. Hope no one minds.

Haigha March
As soon as I realized what was happening I ran over to the Queen and kicked the rebel in the stomach, sending him flying across half the room before he suddenly melted into the shadows again.

I helped her up on her feet while cautiously looking around. That guy could pop up anywhere at anytime, but hopefully I had broken enough of his ribs to scare him of. "Are you alright?" I nodded. She should worry less about me and more about herself.

Even after she had gotten up I kept one arm around her shoulder, instinctively. Despite the fact that he had obviously failed whatever it was that he attempted to do, Lordshire was still collected enough to notice it and smirk. I glared back at him. The Queen just had to say the word and I would shoot him in the head, right here and now. Did he even realize how close to death he was?
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

184 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:55 am
veeren says...

Well now I was thoroughly screwed. I tried my best to keep on smiling, but the thought of being killed right now, or worse, sent to the dungeon, would soon wipe that away.

"I see you're good for something, Haigha. It's not everyday you see a man appear out of the shadows."

I had to come up with something quick. It was obvious now that I'd made enemies of them.

Pulling out one last bluff, I said cheerfully, "My Queen, I would never try to assassinate you. My one goal is to serve you. This was merely a demonstration of how much use I could be to you. The compensation I was about to ask you for, was to be your personal bodyguard. To make sure you're not harmed, make sure no one hurts you. With that, you'd also be able to keep an eye on me, if you still don't trust me of course."

I began to twirl my stick as I looked up at ceiling.

"And of course, while you've met one of my associates, you'll never know how many more there are. Where they are. They can be your most secret of weapons, or deadliest of enemies."

I smiled a genuine smile and looked at them once more. Maybe I'd have some fun with this after all.
-Plato's Symposium

50 Reviews

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

Lordshire is going to get me killed. I'm going to f*cking die so that guy can be the leader of the f*cking army. But I won't have even died for that. He's going to get himself killed too. He just attempted to assassinate the Queen, for God's sake, and he failed, exposing his rebel alliance- although I'm not sure if that's exactly the right termenology. But the Queen will think he is. She'll also think that I helped plan this whole thing. Great. And now that Lordshire's a dead man walking, I will certianly die too. Hell, I might die in a couple of seconds.

"Thanks a lot, Lordshire," I try to scream, but it just comes out as a whisper as I am drowned out by all three of them.

Noticing that no one is paying any attention to me, I slowly back out of the room, careful to be silent. I am almost out the door when someone looks up.

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

30 Reviews

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:15 pm
Alvarin says...

Haigha March
He dared to threaten her? That was it, the last drop. He could insult me and try to kill me all he wanted, but he had tried to hurt the Queen and now he was threatening her, right in front of me!

I walked quickly towards him, and he tried to back of, but I was too quick. I grabbed the front of his shirt, lifted him up and slammed him into the wall as hard as I could. I couldn't help but smile viciously when he tried to regain his breath.

"Haigha, put him down!"

With my free hand I drew my gun, undid the safety and put it against his forehead. He was starting to panic now, I could see it in his eyes.

"Haigha!" the Queen shouted and I finally snapped out of it. "Jubiah is getting away."

I glared at Jubiah and he stopped dead in his tracks. One last threatening look at Lordshire, then I let go and walked over to Jubiah and grabbed him instead. I pulled him into the room again and forced him down on his knees. I was beginning to calm down now, finally. I could remember the last time I had been that angry.

Hopefully the Queen wouldn't make a deal with that bastard, but if she did.. I didn't think I'd be able to follow a man like him. I'd rather stab him in the back, whether the Queen wanted me to or not, and that meant a lot, coming from someone as loyal as me.
― Thomas Harris

50 Reviews

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:52 pm
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

"Haigha! Jubiah is getting away." I winced, frozen in my place, afraid that if I move a muscle I will be dead, that someone will snap and decide that now is better than later.

I here Hiaga approaching- it can't be Lordshire or the Queen- Lordshire is in no regard following the Queen's orders and there was no telltale rustle of the extravagant clothing the Queen wore. Plus she specifically ordered Jubiah to get me.

I do not turn around, fearing that he will snap if I turn. I know how much fury he must be feeling- then I come to the very akward realization that he and I are quite similar- we both hate Lordshire with a passion, but we both need him. Hiaga needs him to command the Heart army- or maybe not anymore, and I need him so that he can free me. We are not so dissimilar after all.

I am thinking this until he forces me to turn around and get on my knees, as though I am grovelling in front of the Queen. My rage burns brighter, but in a moment of insight I realize that I can direct those flames, fueling them into my goal- to live, and to see the Queen grovel at my feet the way that she is making me now.

"You know," I say to Hiaga, "We're not so different, you and I." Cheesy, I know, but it just might work. Of course, Hiaga doesn't respond, so I keep going. "I can be on your side. The rebels forced me to do this. I only stabbed you to prove to them that I was loyal- which you know now is not the case. I can help you. I hate Lordshire just as much as you do. We can work together."

184 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 pm
veeren says...

Before I could blink, Haigha had me pinned against the wall with a gun pointed at my head.

"Haigha! Jubiah is getting away." The Queen yelled to him.

After giving me a final look of resentment, Haigha released me and went after Jubiah. I brushed myself off and stepped forward a bit, cursing under my breath.

To think the fool would've been more frightened after telling him he was surrounded by assassins.

Jubiah was forced onto his knees before the Queen. Though it was barely audible, I could hear Jubiah muttering something to Haigha.

Making sure to take a mental of Jubiah saying my name, I turned to Miranda and began, "My Queen..."
-Plato's Symposium

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead