z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 9)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat May 14, 2022 3:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sera took a deep breath. "A woman's lunar cycle happens every twenty-eight days, Ky. It ends with bleeding each month. If you're only bleeding twice a year then there was something very wrong. Is it more regular now?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat May 14, 2022 3:24 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"M...aybe?" Ky wiped her face. "I don't know. It's happened a lot since Tomhas took me from him, but not before. I don't know... maybe there just wasn't enough blood left before?" she suggested. "He always said I'm 'a bleeder' -- maybe I just ran out before the end of the month? I don't know."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:26 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That isn't how it works." Sera sat back. "If it's more regular now then I'm not going to check you yet. But I want you to report back to me each cycle, if you're comfortable with it. Keep a journal, maybe? If something isn't right in your womb then we need to know about it."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Okay." Ky nodded. Well, that was terrifying. Maybe she had broken something for real. Was it possible to break your womb? How did she even manage that? "Is... it bad that there's a lot? It used to only be a little bit on like two days and now there's like a lot on like four and I... don't understand what's happening to me."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:30 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Healthy bleeding can be heavy or light depending on the woman," Sera assured her. "Usually it goes about two days to a week. Has anyone ever taught you about bleeding?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:33 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky shook her head, wiping away the last of her tears, successfully distracted. "No... it wasn't happening yet when they took me, and then I was a boy and they're not supposed to, so I couldn't ask -- and then... now it's just... gross."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:36 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It is a bit gross," Sera agreed. "But every woman does it. It's perfectly natural." She thought for a moment. "So in your body you have a womb. The womb prepares for a child every month, but if one isn't conceived then it sheds the protection it created. That protection looks like blood when it comes out." Her brow furrowed. "Do you have any cloth for when your bleeding comes at all?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:38 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I just go to the bathroom a lot so I can wipe it away."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:39 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I can get you some cloth for the bleeding; just lay it in your smallclothes. Are you having any pre-bleeding symptoms?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Like what?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:41 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Well, you seem to be having cramps, and mood swings are to be expected. What about cravings, nausea, headaches?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:43 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I mean... I guess I have wanted sugar a lot more than usual -- is that a thing? But... I don't think any of the rest of that is related." Ky waved her hand dismissively. "I've felt awful since Zander left. Before all this."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Certainly. But emotions tend to run even higher during times of bleeding. They're amplified, sort of. I can find you some teag for your cramps if you like; there are herbal remedies that help." She looked toward the fire. "Oh, and if you still have your heating stone that can be nice to set on your stomach. Heat helps cramps."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:48 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky looked at her, aghast. "That would hurt. I accidentally touched my foot on it under the covers and then it hurt for a whole day. I'm not putting it on my stomach."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 3:52 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You only put it in the fire for a short time when you're doing it for your stomach," Sera clarified. "Then let it cool until you can rest your skin on it for awhile."

she/her

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid