z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 6)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I know the feeling." Lyra sat down beside her.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:05 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky glanced at her, then looked back at her knees, rubbing her face roughly. Yeah. She supposed that Lyra would. She'd also been stripped from her family to go live with a man as absolutely savage as Aleth -- worse, even, since Aleth only beat her instead of raped her... more than once.

"Yeah..." Ky swallowed hard, trying to take a deep breath, but it caught again. "I'm sorry. I'm just being childish. Nothing's wrong."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I don't believe that," Lyra said simply. "But you don't have to talk about it." Gods knew she hadn't talked about herself with anyone if she could help it. Her parents--mostly Father--had tried and tried to talk to her, but she didn't want to. Her uncle knew her better than they did, it seemed, because he left her alone.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:15 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky was quiet for a long moment, nodding slowly. "I just... I don't know."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:26 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's okay too." She glanced at her sister. She smelled....not great. Pretty bad, actually. What had she been doing? Had someone hurt her?

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:42 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(ayeee I just got a place to live! I'm moving cross-country in like a week and a half and it's been a nightmare looking for a place long distance but I just had a video chat and agreed to take a room with some people who seem chill... feeling pretty good about life rn lol)

"I think..." Ky pulled her knees closer to her chest, not looking up even though she felt Lyra looking at her. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, frustrated with herself. "I am having a hard time making my old family and new family fit together."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Wow congratulations!!!)

"In what way?" Lyra asked. She could see how that would be difficult, she supposed. She'd been lucky enough to have the same family since birth, but this must feel so strange and wrong for Ky, especially with Zander popping back into her life.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:00 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Thanks!)

“I just…” Ky sighed and rubbed her face. “I used to be so different. And now I’m like this. And I don’t know how …” She forced herself to take a deep breath, pausing for a long moment as she tried to collect her thoughts. “It feels like I need to get to know Zander all over again because he doesn’t know this version of me… and that’s very hard to do when we can’t even have five minutes alone.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:15 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Lyra nodded slightly. "Have you talked to Uncle Gaius about letting you have some alone time? I'm sure a few hours wouldn't hurt anybody."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“He doesn’t like Zander,” she grumbled.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:20 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"He doesn't dislike him, either. He's being careful. That's just how he is."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:22 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded sullenly. “He’s not going to let it be just us, though. He thinks Zander would blackmail him if he knows about this Keep even though he never ever would. He said Emery or Pamela has to stay with him every moment from waking up to going to sleep.” She picked at a thread in the hem of her tunic.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"So just ask him if you can have maybe three hours alone together. I'm sure he'd say yes if he saw how much it meant to you."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:33 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky hesitated, then nodded. “I don’t want to push it… I already threw kind of a fit about Zander wanting to leave… and then Gaius told me he’s actually the one tossing him out… he did agree to let Zander stay a few more days, though, which is… nice.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"See? He's flexible for family. Just ask him."

she/her

The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare