z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:27 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“A good way to be,” Derik said with a nod, noting the slightest bit of warmth had crept back into this shrewish woman. Despite all her complaints about Ash and his brother, it seemed she had a certain sort of admiration beneath it all. “I’ve heard the library here is nothing short of breathtaking as well.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Shrewish is a very good descriptor of her
I kind of based her vibes off of Aughra from The Dark Crystal)

"If readings your thing," she said dismissively. "Nothing can compare to the atmosphere a good storyteller builds. Stories are fluid things; paper keeps them all pent up."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:05 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(ooh nice! I am not familiar, but I like her! I foresee her hurting Jerica's pride in the future and being a constant source of stress to Derik about leaving the two of them alone lol poor Derik is going to feel like he's wrangling cats this whole visit I can see it now xD)

"There's more to books than stories," Derik countered. "I've learned more things from books than I can count. It'd take dozens of scholars to teach me such an eclectic selection of topics as I've learned from libraries, and relies solely on your memory afterwards besides if you want to retain it all, rather than simply look it up again if the details get fuzzy. Stories can afford to change; facts can't, unless otherwise disproven."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:06 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Haha just wait til Gaius enters the picture. And Tomhas)

"True." She nodded. "Facts can be stored in libraries, certainly, but I just don't see the reason for works of fiction to go in there."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:13 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Oh god I forgot about how disastrous Tomhas/Jer is gonna be xD)

“To each their own,” Derik said with nod. “I’m not a big story reader, either. Though I can see the value. Especially to preserve the stories of cultures that have ceased existing… but I agree I’d prefer a storyteller than a storybook, in general. Or a bard or jester. There’s something to be said for communal entertainment.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Exactly! The Northerners have lost touch with the old ways--especially Lord Ash. He'll be coughing up dust for all the time he spends in that library."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik smirked a little. “Well, I’m happy he’s got something he enjoys. It’s always good to encourage harmless pastimes.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:02 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Heh, you'd think it would be harmless." She shook her head.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:08 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“How is it not?” Jerica asked curiously. Who knew books could be a source of mischief? Maybe she should pay them more mind…

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:10 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"If one reads too long without stopping, they'll just wither away." D'Ara glanced at her. "Or, more commonly, they spark questions. Politicians don't like it when people ask questions."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:12 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“What sorts of questions?” She liked questions.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:16 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Dangerous ones. Questions about taxes, laws, crops. Politicians like to keep their subjects illiterate for a reason."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:22 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Most of our soldiers aren’t illiterate anymore,” Jerica announced proudly, distracted. “I made ‘em put a bookshelf in the barracks when I started training so they’d all be able to read if they wanna.”

‘Made’ might have been a bit of a strong word, but Derik wasn’t going to grudge her it. It had been her idea, and she had been fully prepared to raise a stink about it if he hadn’t agreed quickly. Which he had. It hadn’t really crossed his mind before Jerica brought it up, but he fully agreed with her once he thought about it. An educated military made for better soldiers, provided he treated them right. Which he did.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:32 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's admirable," D'Ara said with a nod. "Reading's very important, especially in this day and age where all the laws are written down. Lawspeakers are fading out of style."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica puffed up a little, pleased with the positive feedback.

"Couldn't agree more," Derik agreed absently, glancing ahead at the ever-nearing Keep Wall. "Any ideas on what we can anticipate when we arrive? Security checkpoints and such we should be aware of?"

[they/he]

I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson