z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 4)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:33 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Among other things." Ana made eye contact with Gaius for a brief moment, then they both looked away from each other. "It's a side job, mostly to keep myself occupied. Wick does most of the moneymaking." Wick tipped his head in acknowledgement.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:34 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"And you're the tailor, I presume?" Aashi asked, looking at Wick.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:36 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Indeed I am! World renowned, in fact. Well, aiming to be. Only time will tell." He nodded at her. "Wick's the name."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:38 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'll look forward to hearing about the Famous Wick Clothing Line, then," Aashi said, grinning at him. She liked his energy.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You'll be the first to know, madam, after my immediate family members." Wick smiled.
A line of servants entered just then with platters of food. They began to rotate around the table, offering different portions to each person.
Gaius always preferred the times when it was a serve-yourself situation; denying most of the food left a guilty feeling that didn't agree with him at all. He allowed a small portion of meat and some vegetables onto his plate, along with some wine into his glass. He'd tolerate all this for decorum's sake.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:44 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Tasia began bouncing excitedly, and Aashi had to keep chiding her to keep her under control as the food was served. Before long, she was staring down at quite possibly the most generous plate of food she'd ever been served in her entire life. Tasia's hand darted for the dinner roll on the plate. Aashi swatted her hand away, glancing around to be sure it was socially acceptable to begin eating before Tasia started being a little bottomless hole.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Once everyone had been served, Anneke nudged Tomhas and he cleared his throat.
"We thank the gods for the food on our plates and for the people that contributed to its acquisition and preparation. We thank the gods that our family, blood-related and otherwise, could be here safe and healthy tonight. So say we all."
"So say we all," Anneke echoed.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:47 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"So say we all," Ky murmured, accustomed to this custom by now.

Tadaaki had forgotten about it and was half a second behind everyone else's echoing. Aashi looked startled and flushed a little, finally embarrassed. No matter. She bounced back quickly and would be ready for conversation, once she saw whether they were going back to talking or if there was more tradition for them to recognize first.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:49 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas looked around. "Alright, everyone. Dinner is served! Dig on in." With that, he set his fork and knife to work on the venison in front of him. His family followed suit.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Tasia went for the bread again, and Aashi didn't stop her this time. Instead, she reached around her daughter awkwardly and began cutting up tiny bits of venison to feed Tasia. She looked up at Ash as she worked. "When did you all arrive?"

(Not me, now almost calling him Aash every time I reference him haha)

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:58 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(XD lots of aa names!)

"About an hour or so ago," he replied, cutting into his venison as well and snapping up a quick, small bite. Small portions were best, and if he could eat them slowly enough he could stem off the nausea. Maybe. Slow and steady.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aashi nodded, not quite sure how to respond. Instead, she looked down and passed a piece of venison to Tasia. Tadaaki started eating quickly. He and Aashi had settled into a routine of one of them starting with feeding Tasia while the other ate; then they'd switch off midway through the meal. That way they both had some time to breathe and savor their food.

Ky looked over at Lyra, voice barely audible as she murmured, "How are you?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Lyra shrugged, pushing her food around her plate. "I don't know, Ky. How am I supposed to be?"

"Where do you come from, Aashi?" Sara asked, trying to keep the conversation going. "Was it a very long trip for you?" She was glad Gaius was eating on his own; she had been unsure of whether these guests might bring up any prompting she'd have to give him.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:09 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Is there any way I could help?" Ky murmured, brushing aside her question. Obviously, she'd want Lyra to be well. And she clearly wasn't.

"Totallisa," Aashi answered. "So, a bit of a trek, certainly. But it's been so interesting to see how the climate has changed... it's quite cold up here."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:11 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Can we talk about this later?" she asked, trying to keep a small tremor out of her voice.

"Oh, isn't it?" Sara chuckled. "I come from the warmer part of the Northern Realm--that's not saying much at all, but still. Venholm is much colder than Pawholm. Did you adjust well enough, though?"

she/her

Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo