z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:17 am
View Likes
Shady says...

It felt like a trap. And he wasn’t sure what the right answer was. “That seems about right. It wasn’t overly long. But it felt like a lifetime.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:22 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

All these hyperbolic crypticities were beginning to grate on Gaius. "How did you manage to be lucky enough to avoid permanent marks from them up until two weeks ago?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:45 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I kept my mouth shut and did as I was told.” Clearly dancing around the subject wasn’t getting desired results. He decided to test his luck with being bold. “Kept my head lower than everyone else kept theirs and prayed to the gods for good favor… Then my luck ran out.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"In my experience, keeping your head low doesn't do a thing," Gaius said coolly. He had made up his mind about this one. "You must be something of a miracle worker."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:03 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Give me a chance and you’ll see for yourself,” Aleth said, hoping it wasn’t too cheeky.

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:15 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"We'll see." This fellow had some nerve, which was usually something Gaius respected. "I apologize for the interrogation; one can never be too careful when in a war. Your story seems solid enough, though." Not nearly, but Gaius wanted to observe this man in action before he arrested him. If Al was an agent of Tomhas, keeping him around might provide some insight into his brother's plans.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:19 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Of course, my lord,” Aleth answered respectfully. He wasn’t so sold that Ash was sold. He’d have to be careful. “Never too careful.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:23 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Ah, so it was "my lord," now. "Get some rest, then. Be well." Gaius stood, twitching the ring and pinky finger of his damaged hand at Sera, making the movement spasmodic. Watch him. Not trustworthy. Sera clasped her wrist. Understood.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:24 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“And you,” Aleth answered, noticing the exchange. He was far too tired and sore to think about what it meant. Hopefully nothing he’d have to worry about for tonight. “Thank you.”

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius dipped his head to both of them and left.
Well, that entire exchange left him with much to do. He had to inform his guards they might have a spy in their midst, and he had to tell his wife the same. The children would have to be watched more carefully as well. He himself would be locking a few of the more conspicuous doors.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:40 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Aleth watched Ash go, wondering what his standing currently was with the man. He'd certainly underestimated Ash. He should have listened more fervently to Loquitur's warnings before he came. But for now, all he could do was try to appear as innocent and harmless as possible, and hope he didn't get kicked out. Or worse.

He looked at Sera. "Is there anything I can have for the pain?"

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Certainly." Sera went to her cabinets and took a bottle out. "Milk of the poppy," she said, uncorking the bottle and pouring a tiny dose into a small cup. "Careful; it's strong stuff."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:54 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Sounds perfect," Aleth said, taking the cup. "Thank you."

[they/he]

115 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:56 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sera nodded slightly and took a seat in Gaius's chair, crossing her ankles neatly. "Lord Ash will see to it you're well cared for here," she told him. "Nothing angers him more than the slave trade."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:57 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I appreciate the kindness," Aleth murmured. "It's a nasty business."

[they/he]

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken