z

Young Writers Society

Police Officer, Capitals or not in a sentence?

Reviews: 2
Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 am
opaquewillow says...

If I'm writing a sentence such as "I saw the Police Officer walking in the park" am I supposed to capitalize the words Police Officer? As I haven't mentioned the name it's like that is his name, like as you'd say the Shop Keeper. I'm using his title as his name so does that mean I capitalize it?

However in a sentence like "Being a police officer is dangerous" I wouldn't as I'm not using it as a name?

Thanks I hope that makes sense! :)

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm
Kale says...

You wouldn't capitalize police officer (or shopkeeper) as it's not a specific, official title. There are too many people who are police officers for the title to be specific, and figuring out how many people share that job title at a time is a good rule of thumb to use when figuring out if you should capitalize a job title or not.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

57 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 57
Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 am
Animal says...

As Kyllorac already marked out, it does not need to be capitalized. Remember that it is a common noun.
deleted

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind