z

Young Writers Society

Foxes, wolves and dogs

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:55 pm
Swottielottie says...

Hi people!
I'm writing a new story/ novel and people that are half canine/ fox/ human.
I really need information on their characteristics and ways of communicating.
These people can morph back into humans or foxes easily.
Does anyone know:

What a group of foxes is called?

How they communicate?

What they eat?

Where they live?

How there group/pack works socially?

I'll be grateful for any info at all!
Charlotte

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:24 pm
Firestarter says...

A group of foxes is called a skulk; however, generally, I don't think foxes stick in packs. They are very often solitary. Which mostly negates your last question. I think you've assumed foxes work like wolves -- which is a fairly normal assumption -- but foxes are different from other canine-like creatures.

As for where foxes live, it completely depends on the type. Arctic Foxes live in, well, the, um, Arctic. The Desert Fox you can work out. The most common species, the Red Fox, the one most people immediately think of, lives in quite a few places. Urban areas, forest areas, plains, etc.

I then used wikipedia to help you out.

How they communicate:

Socially, the fox communicates with body language and a variety of vocalizations. Its vocal range is quite large and its noises vary from a distinctive three-yip "lost call" to a shriek reminiscent of a human scream. It also communicates with scent, marking food and territorial boundary lines with urine and faeces.

What they eat:

Red foxes are omnivorous, this dietary adaptability being one of the main factors in the species wide distribution. The majority of their diet consists of invertebrates, such as insects, mollusks, earthworms and crayfish. Common vertebrate prey includes rodents such as mice and voles, rabbits, birds, eggs, amphibians, small reptiles and fish.[9] Foxes have been known to kill deer fawns. In Scandinavia, predation by red fox is the most important mortality cause for neonatal roe deer.[10] In urban areas, they will scavenge on human refuse, and even eat out of pet food bowls left outside. Analysis of country and urban fox diets show that urban foxes have a higher proportion of scavenged food than country foxes.[11] They typically eat 0.5-1 kg (1-2 lb) of food a day.

They usually hunt alone in meadows, the natural environment of their most common prey items; mice and voles. With their acute sense of hearing, they can locate rodents through the thick grass and in their underground burrows. They wait until the mouse or vole comes above ground, then the fox jumps high in the air and pounces on its prey in a cat-like manner.

Red foxes have proportionately small stomachs for their size and can only eat half as much food in relation to their body weight as wolves and dogs can (about 10% versus 20%). In periods of scarcity, foxes will cache their food as a resort against starvation. They typically store their food in shallow 5-10 cm deep holes. Foxes tend to build as many small caches as possible, and scatter them across their territories rather than storing their food in a central location. The reason behind this behaviour (as opposed to hoarding behaviour seen in other animals) is to prevent a loss of the fox's entire food supply in the event that another animal finds the store.[12]

There you go, hope that helps.

Try out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox if you want more info, and follow through to different breeds for more detailed info.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:46 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Wow, thanks Jack!!! This really helps me out a lot, too, as one of my characters has a familiar who was once a wild fox.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:43 am
Swottielottie says...

Thanks firestarter! Wikipedia rules! (hee,hee?)
Charlotte

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
— J.K. Rowling