Reviews: 13
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:56 am
AmourDevorant says...

Character profile:

Name: Amour deVoré

Occupation Japanese antique dealer and (secretly) Occultist

Appearance (Image and/or description):
Spoiler! :
Awwwww yeeeaaah, I'm gonna be a resident hottie. Because of my lack of descriptive skills, I choose to take on the countenance and bearing of a one, Mr. Tom Hardy

Personality: Mr. deVoré is the brooding, tall dark and handsome type, with a penchant for violence, which stands in stark contrast to his love of delicate Japanese art. He seeks out the beauty in all things, and destroys or celebrates it according to his whim. He's personable, but often leaves an unsettled feeling among those who are not close friends, because of his calculating nature; even the simplest of questions can seem invasive when spoken by him. He lives by the saying: Don't get mad, get even.

- Strengths: Physically, he is very fit and able to hold his own in a fight, were that to occur. He is well and widely read, patient and has a good pokerface.

- Weaknesses: Beauty, physical or otherwise. Flattery. He constantly pushes his heart and mind into places he knows he doesn't want to see, and it's warped him a little bit. Also, he fears cats and shamisen* because he connects them with an experience he had with a ghost as a child.

History: The mysterious death of his parents in a fire left him orphaned at the age of 10, and he was adopted by an eccentric woman, Madam deVoré, shortly after. She is the one who introduced him to the world of Japanese antiques, and he took over her business after she died (he lives in a small apartment above the shop). Shamisen (a Japanese instrument, similar to a banjo) are the one Japanese thing he won't bother with. On his first night in his new home with Madam deVoré, he was awoken by the mewing of a cat. Amour sorely missed his kitten who had died in the same fire that killed his parents, and seeking comfort he left his bed to wander around the shop below in search of the cat. He stood at the bottom of the stairs, and in the darkness he could hear the melancholy plucking of a shamisen punctuated by the meows of the unseen cat, and thinking it to be his new mother, he made his way to the small room at the back of the store where the mirrors and masks were kept. As soon as he had crossed the threshold everything became deathly silent, and in the gloom, kneeling on the floor, was the faint form of a hideously wasted Japanese woman, shamisen in hand. With broken teeth and rotting tongue she told him things he has never repeated to anyone, not even God.

Other: His interest in the Occult is connected with what the ghost told him and the desire to cheat death, and the rend the very fabric of the universe itself, in order to go back in time and prevent the death of his parents, thus stopping the more sinister events that followed.
忍ぶれど色にいでにけりわが恋はものや思ふと人の問ふまで
― 平兼盛

“If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray,
remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.”
― Kvothe, in The Name of the Wind

What were the use of my creation if I were entirely contained here?

In the past I would definitely say who you would find inside. Not so much today. Place is bonkers …. As is everywhere
— Greg Specter