on computers and chemistry

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:21 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/29

late night ramblings pt. 3?

hello again. wrong number? oh. who am I speaking to? actually, I don’t rather care. it’s just nice to know my thought vibrations are going somewhere and not just reverberating inside my brain.
anyways, I hope your computer can always connect to Wi-Fi and that your phone doesn’t crack when you drop it. unless you’ve done something bad recently, in which case I hope you accidentally unmute in your next Zoom meeting. (just kidding. I don’t actually want to curse you with virtual meeting embarrassment.)
make sure to charge your devices!
best wishes,
mint.
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:47 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Spoiler! :
Great job with NaPo this year, Mint!

Something I adore about your poetry is how you it is. You're not afraid of infusing your poems with your personality, and it makes them feel so much more genuine as a result.

Also it's been super interesting to see all the various tech themes you've incorporated into your poems! It's not a super common theme to see in poetry, but I think it can be really effective.

Some of my favourite images from your thread:
as the darkened highway speeds by
and I take photos smearing electric light into finger-paint lines

and
the blue scattered in the air
is perfect
and i watch the concave-up
dips of telephone lines.

and
but if my curved back turns me into a question mark, maybe it'd be more fitting.

but there are so many other fabulous lines as well!
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

245 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2023 4:10 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
aww thanks, @Hijinks!! yeah, I had a lot of fun combining tech, chem, and random things with these poems xD glad you enjoyed! <3
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2023 4:10 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/30

charge

Coulomb's law:
greater charges and a smaller distance between two things
mean a stronger electrical force.
a stronger attraction,
if one charge is positive and the other negative.
(perhaps this is what they mean by
opposites attract.)

and we never could've had a buffer between us,
because we are ions in a too-small system.
if i am potassium, you are a halogen
(F, Cl, Br, I...)
and all we need for an ionic bond
is the transfer of an electron.

(what is an electron in this metaphor?
i don't know,
but if we have enough electrons,
we can charge my computer.
my best friend.
do you remember?)

i place these memories in your charge.
please take care not to charge into battle
(against errors, against the world, against yourself)
without them.
don't worry, i won't press charges if you forget.

with love for you, computers, and chemistry,
mint <3
mint, she/her

=D

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue May 02, 2023 10:10 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
Spearmint, I kind of saved my congratulations comment for today since I didn't want to write it half-asleep. But SERIOUSLY - you should be really really proud of your NaPo, I am super impressed by your theme interpretation and the sweep of your poems make for a very satisfying ending. I love how you humanized (& Poeticized ... if that's a word) these different technical / computer / scientific processes and it created such a rich new fountain of imagery that was very unlike what most of the poetry I read uses. So many of your poems have this playfullness too, like the narrator is a little sarcastic / silly (like the late-night ramblings one for instance) and that added a terrific levity to the thread. It's thoughtful, and the different ways you played with form - even incorporating equations and definitions really elevated your writing too. I'm really glad you participated this year, and I hope to read more of your poetry throughout the year because I found myself really surprised and delighted reading your thread this month. <3

Some faves:
The EMOTICON One!!!
>.>
so versatile. so beautiful.
so impossible to imitate.

that cracked me up. And I kind of love poetry that can't be read aloud because of visual elements, so I enjoyed this.

I also really liked the word-play of the Lim poem. and it made me think of our dear YWS Lim so that was good too. :)

Your poem on 4/4 was a little mind-blowing too, just how fun to incorporate anagrams that way. I loved it.

<3
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

245 Reviews

Thu May 04, 2023 6:23 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
ahhh, thanks so much for the detailed comment, @alliyah!! ^-^ it brings such a smile to my face to hear your compliments, lol. glad you enjoyed!! <333
mint, she/her

=D

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Fri May 05, 2023 10:43 pm
View Likes
Euphory says...

Spoiler! :
LISTEN I FEEL LIKE I'M JUST GOING TO BE AN ECHO OF EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE HAS SAID ABOUT YOUR THREAD SO FAR, BUT AS @alliyah PUTS IT IN i'm not trying to write anything new, SOME THINGS ARE WORTH SAYING OVER & OVER AND ONE OF THOSE THINGS IS THE SHEER GENIUS OF YOUR THREAD - it's fresh, it's airy, it's like walking into a high level chem lab with a brand new labcoat and a spring in your step. You write about these heavy topics (homelessness, burnout, etc) through a clever chemistry metaphor or complicated code, but you complement it with such tenderness, such lightheartedness, that makes reading all of this an absolutely wonderful experience.

While reading through, I was trying to gauge out which poem I loved the most, but I ended up getting up several favorites lmao - all three parts of your late night ramblings, personal computers depreciate by 50% each year, malware malware everywhere (yes, i do have a bias for nursery rhymes), Ramblings (4/5), The Traveling Salesman Problem (I AM NEVER GOING TO LOOK AT A MATH WORD PROBLEM THE SAME WAY AGAIN), and apart from these, some lines i adored were:
Electrons are not planets;
their positions can only be described in probabilities

If an atom tells you it left its electrons somewhere,
ask it,
"Are you positive?"
And it'll respond,
"Yeah. I'll have to keep an ion them next time."

(PLEASE MINT I WOULD PAY FOR MORE CHEM JOKES LIKE THIS
(I never wanted to grow up past 12.)

do i feel personally attacked? yes.
and imagine swooping over
the shadowed countryside
and approaching those
Midas-touched dwellings.

should(n't) great privilege come with great responsibility?

TLDR; your thread is nothing short of a wonder, a place where intellectual blends into childlike, where high brow chemistry and code inspires simple (but by no means plain) emotion and thought. You sprinkle these mundane facts and references and give them new meaning by the end of your poetry.

Also, here is a little quote that feels a little relevant to the exchange of comments between you and @Meshugenah, about science and technology coalescing with art.

(THIS HAS ALREADY GOTTEN SO LONG I KNOW I'M SORRY BUT BUT.
your poem, old books 4/26, is the perfect combination of the pleasure of art and science as one - and reminds me of this quote
Viola Tricolor also known as wild pansy, Johnny Jump up, heartsease, heart's ease, heart's delight, tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, love-in-idleness, and pink of my john-

245 Reviews

Sat May 06, 2023 2:15 am
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
@Euphory
omg Euphhh :'D you're making me blush, lool! i love your comparison to "walking into a high level chem lab with a brand new labcoat and a spring in your step." and ahh those quotes on science + art are super cool!! never apologize for sharing a ton of knowledge, haha. ^-^ thank youuu for the super sweet comments!! <333
mint, she/her

=D

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline