as a zulu tongue, tugging ahead
of us witchwaterward. i turn to thoughts
of snow for coolness and to melt
cleanly into my canteen and
to keep from thinking of the
rut streams, and the wood processing
plant and the broom handles
from kimova, glowing
like porch nights filled with jar-catchers.

none of them wear
anything pick up stones to skip
in the resevoir as carelessly
as windfall apples for a sill pie.
an eighty-year-old woman
approaches me and asks if the
milk from her cow is good to drink—
her skin let slip with age from her bones
like sunlight through corn-silk, hands
curling from the good swerve
of plow-years, in
shin-high rubber boots. i say, drink
all you want, mother.

the most terrifying
are the trees, silken with windlessness
as alien intelligence, having
kept everything else
for so long.
Last edited by Kylan on Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:41 am
Button says...

This:
omen robins red as hatchet-swings
their color struggling through snow
like ford-horses, slow stemless gathered
darkened hearts i'm surprised
they haven't burst to flame yet
or melted to a slag of
spring-song napalm between

and this:
an eighty-year-old woman
approaches me and asks if the
milk from her cow is good to drink—
her skin let slip with age from her bones
like sunlight through corn-silk, hands
curling from the good swerve
of many years of plowing, in
shin-high rubber boots. i say, drink
all you want, mother.

Excellent.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:46 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

april 8

neruda

to be a poet is to have died
for the poor of chile on the southern
mountains hung with basal clouds,
sleuthing through dry stone like the words of god
in the ears of relic, stake-bound saints—
to have died for the red roads and
woman's foot bent like the rim
of an albatross. every revolutionary
of the ascensores a poet, the blind white
milk of youthful reverence dripping
down their chins, having drunk their
fill of our goat- song, stooped doors,
our national flowers lit and lonely
as beach fires, but proud
as the daughters of braided, patched lieutenants.

dust roads winding
like a tradition of rope, all your stone
broke open unwillingly by locusts
like a song you stay away from on purpose,
a song sung only by old men with
voices barn-rough and sweet-stiff
as saddle-blankets and only in the presence
of many young, unaligned relatives.
you keep a handful of words in your
pocket just to look crooked
when you spit them out
like sunflower seeds. your hands
are something to be proud of,
warped as sea-wood, fingers which
justify the pen from all the years
of brown, shale work.

care less about che—
care more about roses on
doorsteps, left behind
like tombless brooches, or the white
churchyard of shells in the cool of the yard,
or the coast and the dark cliffs swelling
out of the ocean like the origin
of leopard legends. i don't understand
the poetry of flags, or the
brass mason romance in a
courtyard execution by soldiers.

to be a poet
you must have climbed
from a year of burials
from the stumble of andes goats,
from the startledness
of hearing water again
through your own hands,
washing out a morning of chores.

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:51 am
View Likes
Uraziel says...

Neruda is one of my favorites.

387 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

in partial response to Hannah's "Neighbors and Flight".

---

april 9

gomorrah

outside, the crab-apples cripple
like the sound of a scream
in a box-canyon. faucet light,
the last plains of semi-dark settling in
like a well-to-do river in its
shoulders of stone. you keep the windows
open on a hot night, chain-link
fence rattling with dog, lightbulbs
unbearable and cloying as flies drove in by the rain
and a crowbar sun hooked under each
clap of sidewalk. you roll over on your side
with your shoes still on.

your kid with pink eye,
the resonance of pewter in your hands
the croaking hair in the burlap of your groin
nappy as dishtowel terry-cloth. yes,
and the blood oozes between stands
of bones like opium sap from the
spring-welts of poppy, it is sweet.
you know that it is not the soap
that is killing you,
but the elastic.

billie holiday's voice
skinny and cleopatric on the turntable, your own
voice rolled aside like a stone at easter
and you can't sing along, fat
curling around the reed-song of your tibias
like basket cobras. you can't take
enough pills and you can't dream enough
of hatcheting it all off, hoisting
it above your head like a cavalry scalp
by the light of a cave of fire.

the bed sinks
under the heat of a night
without cars, passing. you let
your lips part on their own,
like deer-tracks through creek mud,
you feel as weak
as a mountain,
and wish for the same
bony sins.

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:51 am
Hannah says...

I could especially feel it here:

your kid with pink eye,
the resonance of pewter in your hands
the croaking hair in the burlap of your groin
nappy as dishtowel terry-cloth.

and here:

and wish for the same
bony sins.

That ending is really strong, Kylan.
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 am
Jas says...

the bed sinks
under the heat of a night
without cars, passing. you let
your lips part on their own,
like deer-tracks through creek mud,
you feel as weak
as a mountain,
and wish for the same
bony sins.

I liked this part the most. :D Really strong stuff.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 am
View Likes
Navita says...

Kylan wrote:I never said these were going to be good.

Didn't have to.

--

gomorrah

A pity I have neither seen the film and nor am particularly familiar with the story. But some place 'made wicked by its inhabitants, destroyed by God,' which I take to mean the body, in this case, destroyed by the the body itself; a kind of self-destruction in how you address us in "it is not the soap / that is killing you, / but the elastic" -- the first thematic hint. Strangely enough, here's something I've noticed in your writing, Kylan -- the places where you are most thematic also happen to be those that are emotionally most powerful, and, simultaneously, aesthetically most clear. For example, in the next stanza, it is parts like 'you can't sing along, fat...you can't take enough pills and you can't dream enough...' that strike me the most, and yet how strange it is that they are also the most simply put, no bells, no whistles. And yet, there's something about your style which demands the duality of fullness for the simplicity to carry weight, to carry greater weight than it would, otherwise.

Not something I am remotely understanding, just yet, but an observation for you.

neruda

We've talked about this, but I don't think I said I liked the 'mountains hung with basal clouds,' and 'dark cliffs swelling,' and, other than that, nothing excited me beyond. Perhaps a case of catching oneself on the intellectual side of the head/heart balance, in this case? But, in response to your theme, yes, I think politics is embedded in so much of South American art that it become difficult for outsiders to understand it (and, I suppose, appreciate it fully) unless they are familiar with the history. But then again, why were South Americans so effusive? Pressure? Political pressure, social upheaval, insecurity, civil wars -- pressure, I suppose, does wonders for art, creativity. It takes on a strange form, a kind of twisted glory, a purposefulness that is beyond just the momentary satisfaction and frustration of desire or pleasure, but something that transcends that, makes a difference, incites change. While I see your take on it in this poem as fairly cynical, an almost aloof attitude that 'oh, to be a poet, you must be a martyr etc' – which I can completely sympathise with, since it would seem alien to us, as poets, in countries where art and life are not capped down – I would also like to see you write an antithesis to this, if not in whole, then in part: something that perhaps uses almost exactly the same words, sans the distant coolness.

An aside – we’re almost lazy as poets. We write for fun and thematic purpose only in how it pertains to each individual. They wrote for wider purpose, societies, change. What validates us, in front of them? And why the difference, the blatant twistedness of their art? Is any a better medium, a more conducive medium for writing, do you think?

churn(butter) noble(y)

Hm – churn buttery noble? About the only sense I can string out of that title alone, and that bothers me, since even that makes no sense. The ‘i turn to thoughts of snow’ repetition glided right off me. It seemed like a rather stale line to repeat so often, especially in a poem where there could otherwise be such vividness in the imagery; instead, even the red robins, darkened hearts, deer-rubbed yew get diluted by the mundaneness of the line. I want to snow-water to rip the poem open more, rather than form a stale grey sheet of ice over each image, like it is now. I loved, ‘chandelier of geiger counts (geigs?), morse / as a zulu tongue, tugging ahead / of us witchwaterward’ – that’s when the flesh reasserted itself, but the ‘I turn to thoughts / of snow for coolness and to melt / cleanly into my canteen and to keep from thinking of the / rut streams’ watered it down again (no pun intended).

In this case, your simplicity didn’t strike like it usually does – something I find bizarre, considering how often it does.

But here:

i say, drink
all you want, mother.

the most terrifying
are the trees, silken with windlessness
as alien intelligence, having
kept everything else
for so long.

It’s what I meant by the Kooseriness, that lyricism that means the whole poem points like an arrow towards the ending lines, which tie it all, resonate and illuminate the whole poem. In this case, you had a dubious middle and beginning, but a fantastic end, which makes me think that this poem shouldn’t really be past salvation.

of lebanon

I will all but ignore this except to say that the imagery is delicious and you know it, and you also know I am finding it hard to put strings together, or find them.

carthage jail

Yesterday, I just finished C D Wright’s One Big Self: An Investigation, where she more or less visits four prisons in an hour or a few hours, and documents her experience in formless prose-poetry. Having also attempted to read Aeneid in original Latin, this was a nice refresher. You’re battling two voices in this one. There’s that beautiful summer poetry which everybody loves, in the first stanza and in the fourth stanza, and parallel to this is the more narrative-like straightforwardness of the remaining stanzas (I rather liked, ‘all that was left / of the afternoon was their / pulses against wood, funny in / their non-origin and everyday use / as idioms’ for its character). Both are great. Both work. But not together.

Also, while we’re on the topic of Romans and Greeks and, you know, ancients in general, I meant to mention: I thought of your poetry a fair bit in the Louvre – with marble statues and paintings alike, partly because from your writing, I had learnt things about the classics which I would not have known otherwise, partly because I saw now why and where and how such a style would be needed (since, to do justice to something already so spectacular an art, one must surpass it somehow), and partly because I have honestly never seen that many religious paintings in one place.

farm (i am not a farmer)

Rape, wounds, peroxide, disease, sorrow = deterioration. And then: killed, kicked, ghosts, died = death. Ending on: rain, green, resetting, birth (in the same hands that know death) = life. There is flow in this, and beauty – quiet moments like ‘the isoceles light of afternoon,’ ‘jaw / delicate as shyness / between year-apart brothers,’ ‘or the summer that / every single chicken died, but / we weren’t heartbroken until,’ ‘rain snaps across / the heat-green pastures,’ – but while there is that flow of life, that cycle, and quiet moments of rapture caught between what might otherwise be repulsion at farming, I feel like there’s no real cohesiveness. I think you feel this, and it shows, in the writing, also – here, life is linear: birth, life (/deterioration), death, despite the hint at its circularity; your poem likewise takes on a linear feel, a straight line from A to B, as it were. In some ways, it ties in perfectly with the narrator’s cynical ‘thank god I’m not a farmer’ attitude – instead of seeing how the farmer adds to the cycle of life, they notice only the linearity of it. But on the other hand, it gives the poem a slightly disatisfying feel. I don’t think there’s much you can do to avoid the paradox.

Also? Do one thing for me. Fix that last line.

dust in a jar

I can almost hear myself nodding the first time I read this: how Kylanesque. Nightjars, kettled, honeysuckles, bee-proper sweetness, self-scalping, bear-scored, rutting and blooming, helen baffled in sails (great image)…it’s easy to miss theme entirely and get lost in your characteristic sensory evocations. And the metaphor, it seems, of breaking into womanhood being compared to a volcano…which it looks like is abandoned at some point or another in the last stanza. Please bring it back. Your writing is so mouthwatering that it begs for something grander to give complete it further.

portrait of the artist, with beard

One of my favourites, here, for reasons I’ve already explained. Instead, I’ll give you specifics:

i could hear
grandfather's blood marbling
off of a cot of wristbones, skin
trustling and stillsweet
like months-dry alfalfa
and on his breath the
old currant wine of stories,
sensitivities.

Yes. All I want is that ‘stillsweet’ to lose the ‘sweet’ so that the sweetness of ‘old currant wine’ is enhanced. Otherwise perfect.

he is
mossy with prophecy, parting
through woods,

Made me laugh. ‘Mossy with prophecy’ – why didn’t I think of that first.

he moves by streams,
letting them struggle similar
through stones, the way
summer strains through melons.

Careful, Kylan. Your readers’ spines can only take so much disintegration.

to be aware of
outer life like that again

This means more to me than anything you’ve said so far. End the stanza here.

a castor moon flushes through nearby ponds
like scent through a love-letter—

What did I say about disintegration?!

ransomed
with ticks.

I read this as a pun, the first time. ‘Ticks’ also referring to the days, hours, weeks he has left on the earth; I’ve decided I rather like my misread, even though I don’t think the poem should end on this stanza.

desert

Having just reread all your NaPo in reverse order to review it, I’m noticing something: you are losing some immediacy with your more recent works. They are almost too grandfatherly, soft. This, conversely, has a snapped-beat urgency to it, something less languid and lengthy. It resembles the writing I’ve seen from you in the past months more than the rest of your NaPo does; I like both paces, but this one excites me more, because it’s different, and I’ve seen you do slow before. I like the odd irony of the poem being set in a desert – where one would expect things to move slower with the heat – and I especially like how cohesive the whole poem is. You’ve circularised this one neatly, while leaving doors open, questions open, in that ‘you wonder.’

Some lovely images, despite the bloody fascination/horror at what the ‘you’ contemplates:

stone-ground flowers
caught in the new night
like the sockless creak of
cedar dawn floorboards—
the lyric bone of old hanging-trees,
white and moral

old beds, and
a ballad of delineated canyon-stone—
layers tuned like ham radios
to faraway jurassics, mesozoics,
like hearing transatlantic french in your
own goddam living room.

nerves
snapping and strung
like poppled whipmarks down a back—

coyotes, who are bone-strict and
shambly as panned rivers.
harelip cactus bloom under the crammed
legend of stars and you finally reach
the highway longing between
cousin hills—

All very consistently surprising sections, aided in part by pacing, probably.

And this:

you carry yourself out
knowing how hard it is
to cup water like this,
or much blood.

Torquere – to twist. You may have guessed – I like ends that twist in me.

--

Various thoughts, that’s all. If you want more on any one poem, PM me. I’ve read these several times in any case.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 pm
View Likes
MeanMrMustard says...

Oh Kylan.

I like you and we clash and we discuss and you provoke me to interesting things. I'm listening to a poem being read by none other than yourself right now. You know what I mean, or ought to; I'm respecting your privacy because it's worth bothering to mention I respect it. I'll be clear right now, I have a great deal of respect for you. This should be obvious, despite my meanderings into form versus content and back out again and back in, I've written several things on here in response to your opinion and learned a damn great deal.

Now I'm not going to look at any of these individually. Not at all. Why? Because you have others do that, and they tell you things enough. You seem like a confident, capable fellow, right? Or is that always the truth? I could look at all of these if you wish, and you know my opinion will not be the same of others. But for messages, back to my original purpose.

Kylan I feel like I can't leave Eden with you. I feel like you keep writing me Eve, making me Eve, drinking me Eve, singing me Eve, telling me about Eve; Kylan I'm tired of that bitch.
Kylan you have a way with words English and Rhetoric majors cry themselves to sleep over to simply have for a one night's stand if only in sex and passion. And it's always about those damn pastures. Always that theme. I know you've told others to write differently, but the world looks back at you Kylan.
Kylan you're better than most of my teachers I've ever had; these people study, they don't write, they don't live anymore and they know it, so they fall back on textbooks and anthologies and classics....because what else do they have but fall back to misery and being poor?
Kylan you're theory mixed with some life and you're running out of wine and sooner or later blood will be entering that river and don't tell me I didn't tell you so when the god of the river lets the Olympians know; oh yes, you don't write about them.
Kylan, avoid Neruda, it's not that he's a bad poet, it's that I don't like your voice under another's.
Kylan I want to know you, I want to feel you, I want to see you like a picture and take away this little video I'm listening to of you and have a chat with you sitting across from me at this old graffitied table I'm sitting at with Dr. Pepper and Quakers cheese snacks and a Snicker bar to cake my teeth with; laugh, that was supposed to make you laugh.
Kylan how do you keep writing? Maybe I know nothing about you. I'd like to change that. Be honest with yourself, is this you or words displayed for free on the screen?
Kylan we don't talk enough, it's gotten hostile, say we smoke'em peace pipe and give the blankets back to the Europeans?
Kylan you're better than me right now, but you're suspending in distilled water and I'm not going to stand around for the next few years watching you swim while you drown; by the way Billie Holiday's voice is an interesting metaphor and literary device but it's boring as hell.
Kylan don't write for old people.
Kylan I meant this sincerely and not a joke; you're a poet and a writer and we can't just analyze and critique each other, it doesn't do justice to the time you've spent or I've spent, and in reality you and I have the most to offer one another because we're different; you in the fields where my forefathers roamed, me in the streets where my soul was nailed down like a shadow after Nagasaki and Hiroshima; Kylan leave Eden, it's better outside.

Hope this helps Kylan, I've been stewing on this for a while and think with 19 days left I'm going to love watching you thread progress. By the way, your reading voice is ok, but I get the feeling you can do better.

edit: eegads I give up with my typos and misspellings. Do you see how excited this made me???

315 Reviews

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:56 am
Navita says...

This. Is. Totally. MMM’s fault.

Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio. Either be silent, or let your speech be better than silence.

In this case, I refuse to be silent. I need to say this. MMM just provided the perfect medium – and, more than likely, started a trend. Dialogue between poets using poetry.

----

Kylan, do you trust my instincts?

Kylan, when I come back from work or a few hours at the gym or a two hundred k busride and the sky is shot up with streetlights and things are breaking like silence and winebottles and dreams and I don’t know how to put any of it together again, it’s like I’ve come home, your style, it’s like

Kylan, it’s like the childhood I never had, it’s where fantasia and fairy tales come from, it’s quiet and I can hear myself think, or not think, and press myself into the earth or lie on grass or just sit and watch the clouds go past and laugh at a trilliontrilliontrillion different physiognomies; I’m a child, Kylan, I never get tired of clouds, or sunsets, and you know

Kylan, you know nothing hurts me more than watching trees sawed down; I can’t do it, I can’t watch it; I cry, Kylan, I wreck things that deserve to be wrecked --- computers and plaster paints and oventops because I can’t put the damn trees back together again, Ky, and there’s just no fucking colour there, in the

Kylan, in the cities, we paint in grey; everything is concrete, the zapped neonlights are hard and cold and unsexed and the acrylics get worn and peel --- and all I want is just some reality some green and it’s there, Ky, it’s everywhere in you, it’s when you

Kylan, when you talk of bones bending to beaches or drowsy summer blossoms or mountains lowering like hatbrims, I want to laugh because, at last, finally, there is someone who understands that I can just sit for hours on end and marvel; I’m a child, Ky, I

Kylan, I’ve lived in almost thirty different houses in my life but you showed me the worth of home; your style’s like home, Kylan, it’s like the grandfathers I never had because my nan killed one with city life and cruelty and the other got murdered for his sugarcane empire in New Delhi – he got gunned by highwaymen on motorbikes, he got kidnapped and the bastards took over the factories and wrecked the fields; I’m so sorry Kylan, I

Kylan, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that, I didn’t mean to call you old; it’s just---

Kylan, it’s just that I wish you could see joy lash across my face when I read something by your hand and realise it’s duality, it’s easy duality, the very young and the aged trapped in the instant; I see you above and below – the wonder of a child’s question in the mouth of the parent, the

Kylan, the world is too huge and too small to do it any justice but if anyone can, you can, despite the terrible unbearable inadequacy of words, you pair wonders with wonders, stitch my mountains together again so I know there’s still some

Kylan, there’s still some beauty left here and God forbid you shut your eyes to it; elation in simplicity, extraordinary in the ordinary, don’t you dare forget that, Kylan; you taught me that, you

Kylan, you taught me more than I can thank you for --- the worth of home, the power of a single instant, the need to meet everything with everything, small glories and silence and succession

Kylan, it’s a teeming forest here, a brilliant bluedom, god in branches and windfalls and snowstorms, and succession is a long, slow evolution, and just as well we’re all young.

387 Reviews

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:10 am
Kylan says...

april 10

old poets

for nal, in poor response

damn orbits—every
dog returns, entirely composed
of bone, like horses caught
in barn-fires, or blood snarling
an apple nail. i am a fence
to keep milkweed in, sprawling
a wooden pace, like the difficulty
of a father to keep up with his son.
are you tired? let me help, scoop
my hand under your head,
lay you down gently, your child
thoughts whooshing dark and mouseless
in your own shadows
like the movements of owls
above lanes. i return, you
capillary upward, dragging the whole world
behind you the way urns
carry civilizations out of obsidian.
i look back waiting for the familiar
timbre of shin-salt, or an oldness
that you bring to your cheek,
velvet as a houseboat night.
it's true i'm terrified of unraveling
here, of rocking chairs and
photos by flamelight—i dress
in a yellow that belts me
like wheat; i am self-mined for good slack oil
until my own caribou die. you astonish me in
your french cathedrals, pious
to how worn the stone is,
tuned like a wire fence
to a horse summer, and to touch you
with a length grass is to receive a shock that brings
me back to lyrids, pleiades, the
jovian storm of an embryo.
you gave me a head—i
am the child, wake me up
before I calve into pillows like
a continent of ice, before
the poppies gobble me up
widely loved as filmed flesh,
woman, lady, lion
i am not a father.

Spoiler! :
Both of your comments were extremely moving. Thank you.

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

387 Reviews

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:53 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

Every day for the past two years, I spent a portion of my day thinking of metaphors, similes, allegories. I locate at least six words or phrases that I want to explore in my own poetry. I record those words in a list on my hard-drive. When I use one of the words or phrases in a poem, I delete it. Therefore, all of these entries are words that I never used, or used and forgot to take them off the list, or are repeats of ideas I've had previously. By looking at this list, you can see the delineation of my thoughts and emphasis on particular images throughout the last few years. I'd write a real poem tonight, but finals are here. Is this a poem or a list? Regardless, voila. I'll try to write a real poem soon.

april 11

idea

Spoiler! :
false teethalchemy
mystic
white dwarf
letting down her hair
apple ache
train hopping
hippie
watering hole
hitchhiker
televangelist
hubble
ladies in waiting
nightshade
medicine cabinet
dead garden
orion
shrugging waves
womb
lynch
holy book
writer's ink
contortionist
sun flare
eucalyptus
carrion
legless soldiers
ant eggs
washtub
motel
goosesong
negatives
scab
fantastic black dancers
courting dance
scientists
apartheid
damnation
vaudeville
firefly catching
seamonster
vandalism
used bullets
yankee
want child
varicose
operating table
wish
wallflower
blight
praise to the lord
cataracht
unborn
brothel
black birds on a wire
rotten wood
haley's comet
lucky piece
parasite
drunk
porn
black magic
tarantula
spacetime
trailer
baby words
undressing
stratisfied
confederate
jalopy
nightgown
stolen kiss
gospel
road gang
momma's hands
amputated fingers
book spines
flowers on graves
nomad
left over dream
scandal
'dobe
mesa
oracle
ankle of a woman
unearthed bones
nose print
wise stars
pregnant woman
gill
fable
pretty woman
bud
glacier
emporium
devil
field
kite fight
intestinal
ripe
peddler
undressing after party
salvage yard
temptation
graveside
hand-wound
spirits
song on the radio
hotel bible
skinnydipping
gestapo
slaughtered natives
windmill
laughing gas
nuance
cartilage
old man chew
smile of a baby
vision
seahorse
tar and salt
child finger
lizard belly
metaphysical
tide pool
shook out hair/ skirts
cat squall
hopper wings
storefront grille
cactus arms
headlight leg
morning fields
impressionism
hubcap
native
washed out mouth
teepee
damselfly
love song
fat lip
mother's milk/breasts
governess
grandfather clock
gold panning
mosquito body
castration
salamander
dust language
cardboard soles
gland
cotton gin
picking fingers
arpelego
bubblegum snap
nostalgia mildew
spit valve
yeast
toothless
trombone
lugnut
delinquents
smell of lightning
hangman swing
tooth root
wish
grass in the sidewalk
cornfield
cowbell
sun dial
lonely cowboy
pulse of a bug
dandelion chutes
ear whisper
cinema light/outdoor movie
jumprope song
potter
solar system
cat/old man whiskers
hospice
smell of dad
echolocation
legs
hard candy
grandmother feet
cellar doors
night nurse
kite-tail
tern
folk
swallow
nautilus
widower
footfall
work camp
black widow
incubate/invertebrate
seam
false teeth
baby fat
smell of smoke
clothespins
heavy night
hooky
recited verses
seamstress fingers
nun
old lace
black lips
siren
sea chart
soda plink
citylights
ditch dope
old bones
prayer
working man's hands
smokercough
mustard gas
pregnant belly
bruise
perfect faces of the dead
baby hair
slow bugs
ear lobes
spun tales
nebula
bison
desert rain
saint
hoar frost
mud hut
old murmur
bee
sand dollar
sweet talk
pout
cat whiskers
dead eyes
water skipper
larvae
nectar
overwinter
starvation
neck
soles
nib
contractions
refugee
ghost stories
drought
baby drool
bumblebee
wet as a dream
wasp
horse lips
stovepipe
lady fingers
roach
gums
words of the dead
burnt body
broken-skinned fruit
solo
foothill
nerves
driftwood
mission
used books
thighs
sleepless
redcoats
covered wagon
old mirror
transparent skin
fake eyelashes
miscarriage
milky breath
bad dream
death hand
sticky kiss
grub
secret smile
carbuncle
psalm
nit
petal
migration
virgin
drained body/intestines
black boy cheeks
mouthparts
barren woman
new star
blue flame
drone
matchbox
old mouth/hair
child skin
mothdust
gourd
mother milk
arrowhead
seagull
daisy chain
thimble
struck match
sugarcube
lips
queen insect
lacewing
juiced fly
knothole
spiritual
deserter
butterfly wings
penance
train hopping
baby dreams
termite patterns
toe sock
martyr
spider belly
hitchhiker
ant eggs
freuline
proboscis
fat arms
spiderbite
illegitemate child
hopscotch
hatchling neck
whipporwhil
bottom dweller
seasick
coo
scavenger
vulture skin
praying mantis
rotten teeth
embryo eyes
eyelids
woman fan
midge
pelvis bone
taproot
snake-tooth/jaw
jellyfish stingers
beaker
malformed baby
convent
false teeth
vaccine
first baby touch
decomposing body
lipstick mark
pawn shop
timid lovers
milk ripe
fly eggs
intestines
worm trails
swallow nests
lovesick
atmosphere
nightengale
radio tubes
birth mark
grasshopper
attendants
asylum
baby spit
pink match heads
dead toes
nappy
bee stinger
new mother
cancer patient
mating dance
old back
paper dragon
handmaid
crane
unseen gods
firefly jar
bohemian
widower
spinster
nursery
baby skin
abused child
absynthe
bedded
thunderhead
milkman
mother cling
debutant
hag
premature
infected wound
ribcage
abduction
bullfrog
seed pod
wives
anglerfish
old friends
shock therapy
spoiled child
snail eyes
buzzard
armada
smashed bug life
heart valves
surgery tools
freed slaves
hibernating animals
tube patient
black widow hourglass
tired eyes
gas star
placebo
torture instruments
burp up
secret admirer
toothless mouth
brain
medicine
marriage preacher
cotton
conjurer
sounding out
death march
shy child
grandmother
wise face
baptized baby
spyglass
sidewalk drawings
poppy heads
migrant workers
leper bell
milkless
slow bees
spoken for
dead body insects
warden
outdoor movie
hard of hearing
phonograph
patient
barnowl
travelling salesman
governess
scholar
child sleep
bug screen
tectonic plates
executed aristocrats
unpicked, spoiled fruit
menstruate
maggots
hyena
landlord
atheist
apothecary
snapdragon
martyr bee
blues
falsetto
tarantula
earlobe
dimples
elopement
negro palms
bruised woman
fragrancy yawn
early blossom
master
bombshell holes
swollen nipples
cuckoo
infidel
wake
child eyes
dead eyes
mortician
runt
waking child
redskin
chaingang
chainsmoker
fireman
eviction
sick bed
adultery
anthem
cripple
toe denture
unopened blossom
hungry child
druggist
chemist
lunar moth
rumor
snake jaw
eyelid
mating insects
nun
cadaver
vandal
burnt out bulb
embalming
breathless babies
sweethearts
teaset
divination
shrine
colonial
coon
toothless mouth
space telescope
hornet
naked chin
chapel
careful bride
cosmetics
condolences
contraception
druglord
prospecter
stretch marks
pap
engine
vow
gas giant
duelist
stowaway
nursing home
dreidal
contraband
compound eye
footsole
midwife
gland
sepelchur
divorcee
mosque
frequency
wisdom tooth
medication
arpeligego
needy kiss
belfry
newborn eyes
dry breasts
housewives
touched flowers
executioners
hearse
cassock
married daughters
bell
stasis
student
hospital
mistress
deaf-mute
broken water
old breasts
absitinance
dynasty
pew
churchbell
translating
disciple
tooth
porn
confession
supermassive
thimble
promised daughter
god-fearing
suckling
euglogy
priest
entombed
amnesty
royalist
blasphemy
pulled teeth
migraine
tumor
supercomputer
ticker tape
event horizon
heartland
deserter
ambassador
favored child
head nurse
beak
lisp
child head
brain
coma
hangover
crane
eyebrow
garment
gas chamber
draft dodgers
aboriginee
hard nipple
fugitive
fresco
wet nurse
old ailments
blown kiss
deliquent
lighthouse
frond fiddle
ghetto
scalped
clothespin
white flag
cemetary
harvest organs
minister
perilous
dead babies
reptile
bishop
tribal ceremony
teepee
rabbi
belly button
married man
coroner
pitcher
cotton picking
cult
martyr
judge
penitentiary
dust jacket
wedding veil
morning hair/breath
blue guitar
sleight of hand
slave trader
nonbeliever
divination
flotilla
paperback
adulterer
decaying mouth
worker bee
funeral suit
spouse
papercut
arthrtic fingers
bachelor
illiterate
uboat
combat boots
baby hands
slow dance
expriest
debtor
queen
banished king
patron saint
dreamcatcher
disowned
curtsey
crying child
broken waters
handmedowns
draftee
mailslot
baby ear
creche
vicar
missing teeth
wilting lily
hostage
forgery
scribe
only child
cloister
age rings
telegraph
dyslexic
brahman
applicant
escapist
convent
pregnant daughter
gargoyle
mariner
cat's eye
firstborn
pimp
old maid
vacancy sign
paratrooper
dead mother
tenant
bell-ringer
common prayer
line of best fit
manatee
entreprenuer
courier
mercenary
ossuary
aquaduct
menorah
mathematician
beatnik
latin prayer
sunstroke
burial grounds
abalone
child heartbeat
cortege
deputy
physicist
proton/neutron
continent
eartrumpet
bee box
syllable
moon suit
dead sea
papyrus
tele-evangelist
nebula
pitchman
necrophilliac
lovesound
barn owl
thorax
fingertrap
suck mark
cavalcade
pyre
boatman
undertow
photon
sunspot
water birth
birthmark
night watchman
teaset
groom
folktune
gnome
sunflower
thermometer
bladder
salespitch
inheritance
procession
boson
nutcracker
diagnosis
logarithm
newly wed
smudgepot
gravity field
hope chest
crustaecean
medium
undiscovered
roman numeral
roadside grave
faith healer
accountant
convalescent
half life
ex lovers
foreign shores
soft kisses
cornea
ss man
cradlesong
marrow
hot bath
gland
peekaboo
vassalage
neutral country
morning sickness
waistline
mailbox arm
caesarean
phonograph
zodiac
noctambulant
young man war
new recruits
ferryman
split atom
old man skin
matron
illusionist
northern lights
tariff
dragoon
baby soles
bacterial strain
teacup
elope
liturgy
double chin
mating insects
transistor
bloodoath
indentured
invocation
seabeast
aviator
hopscotch
assassinated presidents
drinking men
mutineers
duchess
smeltingpots
nautical charts
hanging spectators
travelworn
brain lobes
argonauts
half notes
gestation
colonist
sacked city
obelisk
waterless planet
matchmaking
parolee
tectonic
acrobat
palindrome
spelling bee
paladin
pigin
steward
checkmate
lip print
grandfather clock
truancy officer
fire-eater
metabolism
quaker
rector
mongoloid
celibate
unpetaled
unstable fawn
stomach acids
plaintiff
blueprints
narrator
freed slaves
conquistadors
runaway husbands
immigrant heirlooms
southern vowels
family tree
stationary
magistrate
moor
revolutionary
zygote/gamete
rhyme
cataract
conclave
verdict
decimal
governess
chloroplast
surgery scar
database
pauper
pollinator
lover's quarrel
african balance
witch hunter
hormone
patriarch
excomunnicate
birth right
seceded
prayer hands
demi-god
alighting lady
courtship
balladeer
circadian rhythm
steward
genome
militiamen
wishbone
tugboat
unsaved souls
veto
convert
letters home
lyre
roofgarden
soloist
cytoskeleton
ampersand
dressmaker
union
minesweeper
ecclesiastic
prokaryote
wager
calvarymen
sheik
polygamist
belly scales
deaf men
heir apparent
pen name
prize ribbon
bigot
parenthesis
anarchist
gentlemen
rook
decapitated
telegram
coup
dignitary
malnourished children
foragers
spooked horses
nursing mothers
equinox
astrologer
judge
carrier pigeon
underslung hammock
realm
plagiarism
foreign syllables
modesty
false idols
snakecharmer
foglight
unbaptized child
amphibian
warships
expelled
henchmen
nobility
ovaries
flag of surrender
baby dream
pharoah
unladylike
foster
astrolabe
boiler room men
navigator
emancipator
harpist
knighting
caisons
wiseman
cryptologist
traitor
nationalist
uppercase
amputator
coronated
castrated
kingmen
pygmy
page boy
woman in labor
seafarers
apiary
paper wasp
poet
native tongue
devout
postcards from far away
gentile
dry season
slimming moon
soothsayer
exorcised demon
executioner
baglady
joyrider
orthodoxy pittance
articulation
cynic
praise house
transgression
harvester
parlor trick
hospice
parched lips
despot
darning
perfectionist
spouse imperfection
bedfellow
seductress
oblation
beached
understatement
father's blessing
gremlin
herdsmen
courtfolk
comrade
adulterer
backtalk
dryad
captain of a sinking ship
brooch
heartthrob
fencer
acommplice
catkin
married woman
courting boys
chauffuer
anenome
founding father
uncertain light
nap
valentine
constable
cadet
navymen
anscestor
urn
informant
warlord
deadpan/glacier
sounding out
book burners
hanged heads
invite
hostess
parley
getaway car
fainting lady
coxswain
handyman
spoiled child
cud
dunce
biography
puppet-master
general
nun sleeves
sandman
captured pawn
defecting
eunuch
churchyard
chaste women
inmate
jousters
embezzler
misspelled word
sovreign
apartheid
plebian
mole
denominator
flagless ship
privateer
log grubs
limbo
posse
motherly blood
loyalist
lower lip
bounty
hotline
wooed maidens
victrola
oracle
palace
unkept promises
charioteers
parliament
spaceman
prize hog
crystal gazers
regent
romantic
nanny
catherinette
pilgrim
sleeping children
flower girl
brother in arms
dustman
gondola
folding hand
virgin tears
tealeaves
clairvoyant
under mushroom
bat-shape
doormen
war correspondants
colored preacher
loom
house-maiden
suppliant
brigand
nose flower
broken heart
gleaner
conquistador
bloomer
occupying troops
diaspora
admiral
loose tongues
goldpanners
crop circles
conspirators
beseigers
hospital beds
stillborn
white-cap
redcoat
forced smiles
held back hiccups
tribune
rubbed lamp
kissed hand
yawn
centurion
adorned wife
grace
coat of arms
sidewinder
smoke signal
banished
parable
lockpick
retreating soldiers
patron saint
scolding tongues
drifter
house-calling doctor
stalemate
apothecary
lesser god
merchant
cattle skulls
bounty
bad dream
pharmacy
lieutenant
czar
bluff
jupiter eye
war brides
heartsick seaman/homesick
patriot
blown candle
schoolmarm
unsaved
priest deadman
sheet music
braniac
interrogator
hypnotist
tango
tapped phone
cardshark
cutting dancer
wargalley
funeral rite
masterpiece
stagecoach
composer
urchin
exorcist
teacher's pet
gazelle
calligrapher
landlady
suspect
godhead
scatterbrain
horsewhisper
bumblebee
knighted lord
witchdoctor
best man
dentists
snail kissconch
revolting peasants
hunting party
dividing cell
deputy
feinting
cocked moon
don
suspicious eyes
turn coat
sabotuer
oil virgin
pole vaulter
minesweepers
widower
bachelor
bootlegger
groveling
pardoned sinners
harvester
debtor
secret identity
blue flame lip
message in a bottle
ambidexterous
rookie
love poem
alms
hypocrite
klepto
chivalry
magic lantern
bearer of bad news
waking baby
masquerador
private eye
tatooist
old mouth
bored lovers
fashionably late
ventriloquist
friar
butler
godmother
final offer
catapults
wallflower
penelope's suitors
broken promise
ringbearer
squid
dance card
laryngitis
strategems
vain
embalmer
maniac
falsely accused
locket
executed wives
patcheye
gibbous moon
nautilus
seance candles
paddie farmer
tax collector
bookspine
gunslinger
wive's tale
gambler
brainstorm
pioneer
benediction
recital
soulmate
babysitter
funeral lantern
tadpole
organelle
hand fan
letter of marque/ marquis
suffix
secret passage
charlatan
sleeping pill
maiden name
activist
jury verdict
bedtime story
smart aleck/mouth
culprit
cockpit
lurk
whistleblower
stethescope
unpopular king
old tatoo
almanac
map maker
fraternizer
lamentation
quarter notes
firemen
umpire
understudy
punchline
child king
regicide
rodeo
toad ritual
alibi
earlobe
kingless queen
queen bee
chorus
stamp collector
counterfeiter
bagpiper
flirt
sandcastle
graverobber
mother superior
necromancer
wise guy
longtime widow
petition
exebitionism
first impression
pillow talk
straightjacket
dog tail
banned books
lackeys
blasphemer
braindead
coin trick
epilogue
coronation
firing squad
secret admirer
bribe
kiss up
railroadman
moon
hero's medals
woman waist
peeping tom
showoff
jealous sister
pageturner
curious child
paparazzi
lightning rod
depression glass
nestbuilder
roots
surrogate
ponderers
curator
bar code
frostbitten fingers
rebuttle
martyrdom
pardoned
aristrocrat wig
raise lips
snail eyes
failing heart
cliche
cutpurse
black widow
squirming church
surgeon tools
menstrual
bible-thumper
courtier
hypochondriac
knighting queen
germ
unwelcome tenant
raptor
churchbell
alone in death
genuflect
burial at sea
liberator
monarch butterfly
collected mushrooms
flashback
deputy
backstabber
houscat
sea shells
petticoat
alchemist
holy scripture
old flame
quilter
hungover
figurehead
library books
naive artillerymen
gramaphone
shed skin
baby mouth
marionette
bigot
procrastinator
listening doctor
summer home
busybody
witness testimony
hotwire
pirate ship
unwanted child
tap dancer
magistrate
forbidden love
telegrapher
worrywort
disowned
sworn in
first wife
painkiller
blind litter
expectant mothers
teapartyers
sight reader
diary
caught liars
filibuster
wardance
drama queen
optimist
old summer dress
unbaptized
recessive gene
crackpot
faithless
fetus spine
concubinage
birth control
intellectuals
papercut
stand in
luchador
quiet dying
lion tamer
communist daughter
hospital visitors
funnybones
weather bones
horoscopes
nightgown
sickbed
flattery
unwed daughters
confidante
stiff collar
hypotenuse
framed
humble king
polygraph
carnations
preparing suitors
bribed jury
a kiss that no one sees
pregnant bride
captured officer
typewriter saint
silent auction
PI
serious child
diving bells
milked udders
beauty queen
union scab
cottonpickers
under oath
stage coach
apostate
constitution
empress
sensitive highborns
catarachts
men returning war
circus freaks
sleeping queen
honey-drudgers
gray truth
half-mast flag
gill
chaste courters
imam
swallowed words
flirt
dueling gentlemen
kiss-broken spell
planetarium
coffin bearers
heirloom china
mistress
pill bug
light house keeper
druggist
brain lobe
snail mail
snoop
wax sealed letter
evangelical
hospital gown
square root
polliwog
numerology
oboe
cross-eyed
moonman
heirless king
brainteaser
passover
hushed baby
lawyer
fortuneteller bones
pouting girls
knitter
jalopy
surrealist
long goodbye
she-wolf
paddleboat
water bugs
surgeons
chain letter
tapped phone
periscope
old people waking
black/north star
shy girl
trainhopper
loudmouth
caught lovers
gravesite
butterfly tongue
theatergoers
sick mouth
lawman
pop quiz
redneck
child genius
beach comber
darling
poppy bud
pagan gods
chaplain
double cross
illegitamate child
godmother
countess
idle nobles
cigarette holder
minor character
children's hospital
schoolroom skeleton
biotic culture
bandolier
book you've read 100
jellyfish
deveiled bride
camelia
crying lips
flunked
dragged body
reciept
detective agency
hinges speaking
gene
held back student
moonshiners
parlimentary judge
cleric
curd
claimjumper
sweet tooth
copycat
watertower
compound word
nape
desert dove
hooded falcon
nude women
blooded thermo
catburglar
shaman
shucked corn
preacher's wife
old doll, keepsake
subspecies
healing plants
adlib
orphanage
gaslamp
expanding universe
ministress
tuned radio
musical note
woman's vote
stared at woman
harmonica
poker tell
cardtrick
rained-on wedding
singing child
bladder
yard sale
fetus gill
reformatory
blessing priest
stopped clock
radio transmission
distraction bird
child who never no
praying jew
ocultist
ghost town
baritone
stargazer
courting talk
undivided cell
washed-out mouth
washed-out brain
flagship
peachfuzz
lipreader
stood-up groom
latin name
carpal tunnel
sealegs
nearsighted
depth charges
organ donor
medical cadaver
nursing mother
catlady
old god
shutin
interpreted dream
apocrypha
manuscripts
mausoleum
french lips word
cold war
plucked strings
hillbilly
parted lips
old people story
skin cell
old people caring
naval captain
banjoplayer
someone back home
hospice
notes on measure
measured corpse
dentists
escapist
good wife
hate mail
trainsound
promise ring
commited
lineage kings
prompt ghosts
receding gums
runt
stitches missing
fetus smile
tea-roses
orchestra pit
hymnal
promises in the dark
broken vows
perspiring ladies
stainglass saints
boy got her with child
crib
shoeshiners
cheating spouse
youngest child
town drunk
carted royalty
never dared to touch
electrocuted
feudal lords
arranged marriage
suit of cards
canonized
self-inflicted wounds
uninvited guests
moon rover
low string
old time religion
rare disease
ESP
barren woman
deep sea diver
ampitheater
cloudwatchers
heiress
interrupting speakers
world's fair lights
foul
teething
roman candle
putting clothes on
secret society
babytalk
speech impediment
unreachable notes
governess
clue
unstringed puppet
misplayed note
childbearing woman
saloon
young doctor
mechanic
winter bee
sheet music turning
eclipsed moon
new/old pennies
baby steps
nightsweat pillow
double take
emancipation
womens rights
twiddled thumbs
bad trip
gasp
wake
lambent
young lady rep
shylady fern
tomboy
carolers
related dream
damning evidence
public adulterers
synonyms
happy hour
lamp moth
hard of hearing
sidekick
soldier plume/rose
seamonster
well bred ladies
retrenchment
penny candy
divorcee
face cards
spoken for
sober babies
divinely appointed king
quack doctor
constellation
sweet nothing
presented ring
snoop
holy boy
sherpa
love story
solar cell
cloistress
counterfeiter
side effect
reverend mother
muddy skirts
bleeding doctor
dowryless
census taker
nuptial flowers
pulled flowers
childbirth death
alias
footsoldiers
french kissers
heart attack
portrait painters
self portrait
black market
prank
math head
colorblind
haiku
liver
baby crib
cut throats
wigwam
unused candle
trendline
mourning mother
arts and crafts
canceled out numbers
blood christus
sea fossil
ringing ear
final draft
gentile
decimal place
secret admirer
windfall
premature baby
abridgement
apostate
constant equation
habit prayer
barber quartet
hot flash
dentention
apolegetic lover
constitution/declaration
first lady
love seat
prop
alter ego
artery plaque
dustman
legionaires
happy ending
jack of hearts
wet dream
false alarm
hypothermia
greek letter
labor song
lava beds
cross examination
surgeon theater
flowergirl
father's blessing
euphemism
toad belly
caste
framed
macrophage
cult
sanskrit
plan b
waiting room
unusued eye
pageturner
handmaid
imaginary number
failing heart
sacrficed humans
phobia
ventricles
indian guide
holy father
sweatshop
diary
gestation
dialect
mourning sickness
saint prayer
know it all
recuperating
ear trumpet
indulgences
old geezer
spyglass
silent letters
epistle
professional mourner
crystal marriage
butterchurners
witnesses to the stand
chimenysweeps
meaningless kiss
imperial
exiting actors
court trumpets
blues
eavesdropper
sounded out
divorcee
paper chain dolls
waltzer
royal family
pruner
barnraising
mouth to mouth
skipper
deep thought
made bed death
calculus
old english
leaf eyelash
sacristy
penitant robes
voyeur
toast
castanet
wink
friendly fire
downbeat
centi/millipede
nursery rhyme
cold maid
flatterer
straightman
gallows
lost and found
temper tantrum
jazz scat
love affair
apocalyptic scripture
papyrus
eyesore
flog
day of the dead
poet weep
hookey
cuss word
tongue depressor
sewing pattern
pianissimo
fibonacci
manna
sea god
concertina
costume party
shaman
indian name
squid
aphorism
palindrome
ode
dowager
bedpan/king bedchamber
follicle
saucerman
betrothed
tsarina
passion bearer
nanny
internal rhyme
blank verse
aria
aside
coloratura
patricide
shutter
early flowers
painted face
refrain
amputee
veil jew
pidgin
necking
cold sore
punchline
bread spore
auntie
clansmen
sevant
piazzicuanto
puffed sleeves
morgue
phyla
pinky toe
rest
root word
attention span
pilgrim land
matinee
child saying bad word
woman lying
smallpox
children ashamed of father
premonition
corncob pipe
latin priest
show and tell
baby name
trolley
pop fly
tearoom
children's choir
chainsmoker
manic depressive
theater box
blood type
armistice
naive
flightless fledgling
hair curler
childbed
superstition
scrapbook
nearsighted
measuring cups
hoarded pennies
baby laugh
poorhouse
hibernaculum
heartworm
gunbroke horse
skeleton key
kidnapped children
double dutch
circadian rhythm
schoolbell
blackboard erasers
tandem bicycle
vocal cords
fogged spectacles
root canal
rounding numbers
revenant
hunchback
conch shell
oriental letters
vaccination
blood poisoning
nightwatch
autopsy
cosmonaut
spacewalk
milky way
octave
echolocation
bone marrow
stepsister
steward
extra
weather system
scentless rose
chromosome
tooth crown
yankee
ellipsis
breast cancer
shown math
choke hold
wood knot
sandman
berrystains
manowar
summer lightning
doubt
bee jelly
galoshes
boy choir
slurred notes
suicide note
goggling
hidden bruise
hopskotch
bathtime
enjambment
space station
radiomen
long division
pet name
illiterate
heathen prayers
ego
id
beachcomber
hangnail
motherboard
dissected heart
cirrosis liver
eunuch
junkyard parts
boobytrap
open mouth depressor
single cell
shooting gallery
pillow case
droughtland
metabolism
brain cells
optic nerve
iced organ
tooth ache
asthma
social insects
opera cape
prayer book
mitochondria
chloroplast
lamplighter
duchess
saltlick
boudoir
weatherman
nightlight
fire extinguisher
noun
pun
pink runt
whigs
get-well-soon
taste bud
underground railroad
children ghost stories
handmedown wedding dress
heart valve
oxygen tank
labmice
fixed dog
chapped lips
pharisee
hospitalized
catechized
mother baking
unused fingers
blood pressure
psalmody
pathogen
sous-chef
curate
phalanx
whirling dervish
salivary gland
leukemia
headlice
confucian
brassiere
ion
bass clef
ear canal
foetus skeleton
coachmen
sleeptalk
dormant volcano
church bat
lecher
toddler steps
first words
sleepsheep
tooth root
surgery patient
baby carriage
four chambered heart
red cross
chorus play
charity ward
gangrene
toredor
umbilicus
minnerette
coping mechanism
sugar pill
stomach acids
elsysium
tonsil
falsehoods
bloodhound
bloodbank
sickly child
short circuit
totem
courting suit
dropout
matchmaker
ragtime
arch-duke
prohibition
milkbottle
ballot box
dropped hanky
induced labor
southern hospitality
sarcophogus
lot's wife
milkless breasts
child king
suck up
babysitter
best man
mama's boys
croupe
menstrual cycle
circumsized
blood vengeance
spit valve
upset stomach
IQ
religious father
aunt
hand organ
stoned sinner
steamshovel
unbelled leper
deathcart
window shopper
blacks in sunday
uninked nib
nervous tic
belltoll
cup handle of light
folded hand
faith healer
sun-bonnet
long johns
window seat
marsupial
funeral usher
yiddish
barker
zoetrope
mummer's bear
quail
bivalve
paddywagon
psalters
lady of quality
ragpicker
apostate
flagsewwer
communion dress
immune system
stingless bees
tintype
birthright
pop-up book
washerwoman
preacher baptizing
baby photos
obituary
embouchure
smelling salts
peignoir
tea cozy
snuggery
faithless spouse
coquette
split lip
feverish infant
trainwhistle
hipbone
early astronomers
cravat
dosshouse
21 gun
glovebox
war drums
stitches taken out
dirty dream
spinning wheel
anesthesized
breast feeder
bishop crowning
pantry
queen mum
milkchin
scripture recitation
parishioners
catnap
mouth organ
baptismal name
morning kiss
seahorse
extra digits
old jaw
coarselet
homonym
dance set
dance card
shoeless worshippers
crinoline
cathouse
deacon
trigonometry
saints figurine
adult teeth
patient tomb
axon
electrode
bugler
stubbed toe
mnemonic
posing portrait
heresies
plankton
presbyters
ankle bell
pirouges
ambulance chasers
argonauts rowing
bullfighter's roses
sousaphone
cerements
pigeon cote
vaulted ceiling
chasuble
husbandless pregnant
lain lovers
pillowfight
returning officers
child's abacus
firestarters
vicar
watercolorist
colored people only
common law marriage
reformers
pilgrims to jerusalem
multiple personalities
divers for breath
lord fealty
cambium layer
written morse
last supper
sea widows
goldpanners
proconsolate
hacienda
litmus
bruised ego
day of the dead
mendle's peas
absinthe
ploughboy
peeled orange
quilts
shunned pregnant women
village matchmaker
tribal medicine
annunciation
summerwood
christ's disciples
sunstroke
eyewitness
negro spiritual
palanquin
shepherdess
insane asylum
oboe reed
praying nun
bat pup
crosier
blood donor
bedspring confessing
piano practice
chirrup
kiteflyer
sleepover
adulteress
hair knot
kidney stone
milk nipple
teahouse
southern belle
new nun
poltergeist
patronyms
ear trumpet
earl
chessmen
tea ceremony
christmas cards
tear ducts
impressionist
acolyte
horoscope
augur
geese neck
ante
compound chemical
catamite
memories returning
apostle epistle
bedpan
voodooist
slang words
gas chamber
prodigy
levels of hell
tomcat
slave bangles
catarcht
undotted i's
tragedy death
figure of speech
repented sin
electric chair
ashes and sackcloth
piglet
hosanna hands
potsherd
first lady
mission bell
untraced constellation
male drone
watchfob
spat out dentures
samaritan
babel lotus
lot's daughters
emergency room
operetta
mental illness
concentration camp badge
heirless throne
golgi apparatus
oracular bones
prayer leader
idiom
old maid
threshers
churchwarden
child playing house
sink pipes
nightingale/ nightie
parable
crepuscular
nightjar
trubadore
christened infant
beetovan's ear
collarbone/clavicle
children outgrowing clothes
moon cycle
extinguished cigarette
ovulated egg
beatnik poet
school crush
prepared sermon
fire brigade
stool pigeon
warding crucifix
pretty frown
bunsen burner
fate stitchery
carriers of bridal train
ironess
babyteeth
infirmary nurse
charioteer
vocables
jupiter's satellites
love-touseled sheets
wind-up bird
blood transfusion
pulmonary artery
old wive's tale
larynx
archangel
lorgnette
howdah
shallop
missionary fever
due date
photographic memory
baboon
witch-men
hemoglobin
quaker
cotton gin
kiss on the mouth
war room
dogfights
handmaid's hymn
beggar on churchstep
milk pail
narwhale
dog whistle
santa anna
muted brass
women's underthings
outhouse
miner's wife
opera hat
piano practice
mumbling graffiti
boutinnere
smoker's cough
taxidermist
old neck skin
doula
crocus
exiting empire
summer school
thrombosis
geneology
mother cat
gentleman farmer
alien abductees
polyglot/ polymath
patroned artist
terribilita
papacy
verset
wedlock
fire-eater
stillborn plot
parallel universe
sidewinder
bobber
barber hand
street musician tip
fisherman net-sewwing
minor key
double decker bus
mother daughter
movie going kids
deuling pistols
scarlet fever
parched throat
chinese new year
parted hair
birth right sold
summer moths
she-wolf
turn the other cheek
subconscious
ladyship
gestapo
kosher women
quilter
bible school
blabbermouth
anthropoid
homunculus
hiccup
onaemonopeia
electroshock therapy
gentile
nun donations
jew-killer
girlhood
sacrificial basin
potter's hands
iron maiden
pocketwatch cogs
archimede's analysis of the lever
prohibitionist
nutcracker
chimneys of birkenau
holy trinity
honeydew secretions
revelations
raptor
taxi-callers
soutane (cassock)
choristers
elephant grass
selecting scalpel
padre
chatelaine
glockenspiel
sabbath benediction
begging bowl
double dutcher
lampion
fever dream
swastika
moonwalker
plural marriage
chapel saint/ fresco
dirty-mouthed girls
succubus
dance instructors
old tailors
faraway trainwhistle
children on pondrocks
harem wife
gourd dipper
sleeping coals
indian summer
charnel house
potter's field
hippodrome
hussar
grandmother photographed
red hat society
chattel
passover
laity
pianist's hands
skinheads
caliph
laundress taking down
apogee
moon tides
hansom cab driver
good nights
concentration number
pointillist
indian smallpox
clay breasts
defrocked priest
elephantitis
sheepdog
orchard keeper
sunstroke
indian squaw
summertime clothes
mother checking temperature
cairns
chemistry lab
naif
mea culpa
hospital gown
schrodinger's cat
harelip
blood money
medicine chest
darwin's finches
skep
two coins for the boatman
mademoiselle
hetarae
resurrection bell
bestiary
pricking ears
model armies
whisky jug
unbranded cattle
teatime
tenant-farmer
lap quilt
wishbone/ulna
richter scale
old people thoughts
gallowmen
romanov family
wasp rotted fruit
spanish widows
simplified fraction
weather balloon
witching hour
coronation goblet
masonic order
church cemetary
fingerpicked ends
sympathy cards
palimpsest
tattletale siblings
lockjaw
wicker basket baby
reclining venus
jawbone
spelunker
bone-pierced lip
powdered-wig ladies
voice box
solar system mobile
aphrodisiac
oracle at delphi
window shoppers
ophelia
clock bird
death row
votive candles
bordello
gospels
clerical collar
just married cans
shroud of tourin
whore shutter
hair over bare shoulders
doctor's bag
windpipe
foghorn
silkworm
whalebone slats
wedding corset
bell ringer
sunday driver
radio crystal
anti-suffragist
nautch girl
car bonnet
easter dress
vigil lamp
menstrual thermometer
children bleeding
vaults of michaelangelo
impressionist
seafarer's saint
sabbath day
barndance
christ's tomb
lamppost
crania
chased butterflies
tablespoons
liver mortis
fingerpainter
niece
family mirror
unfelt fruit
apostles crucified
amillary sphere/sextant
skipping rhymes
washerwomen creekside
plutoid
lower case
venice's gondolas/venice
copernicus
flirt pout
blood transfusion
latin mutter
rocking horse
saint's name prayer
second thoughts
asia minor
family traits
patients on morphine
fable-makers
nave
onion domes of palestine
geode
big bang
phone booth
hot flash
hitchcock cameo
cat life
numbed gum
original sin
summer sleeping house
baby feet
planet watchers
doctor checking vitals
named hurricanes
octave
apricot
difficult buttons
bad manners
creek mud prints
birdcall
wren heart
hooded falcon
king's bones
hearing damage
kissing lessons
amphibian heart
dream root
fallen arches
upright bass
bolshoi
maternity ward
tear gas
escapist
glass-footed beauties
seeing eye dog
glassblower
gotten souls
all girls school
confederate daughters
moral of the story
birth omen
tarot
statues missing limbs
morning sickness
oxygenless blood
hermaphrodite
umpire
ladies room
little poems memorized
books of the bible
lyncher
flamenco dancer
children snapping
bell curve
heresy trial
gas stove light
orthodox monk silk
double helix
latin names
constantine's halls
side car
song of solomon
short lived marriage
weather radar
storm glass
knitting bone
sickday
intermittant radio
trickster god
galley slaves
the last film made in kansas
barrow boy
mother's bed
courter's letters
nazirite
queen's eunuch
chinese year
hubble
cape horn
western
retreating redcoats
smelling salts
coon trap
Mary on muleback
ballooning spiders
cowlick
thou shalt not
seahorse
broken sanddollar
tambourine
short-hand
entering atmosphere
palmistry
plainbeasts
coins in a payphone
boy shepherd
shoeless buddhists
cerebral palsy
soldier's bleeding feet
wounded knee
homemade dresses
dark ages
ashram
tarantella
sufi dervish
young lady posture
german tongue
pantries
goatsucker
bat echolocation
wisecrack
bovine stomach
natural causes/old age
straw hat
june bugs on glass
morning chores
barn cat
shipwreck
marsupial
birth canal
specialization of cells
poetry of galileo
clockmaker
heliocentric theory
e=mc2 haiku
sailor orienting
ship in a bottle
baby fat
tightening hand pregnant
red wheelbarrow
sphinx nose
nightfrog
wind of a music box
churchyard gargoyle
grandfather clock
gumshoe
solstice kiss
parishoners
chancellary
apothecary searching
english accents
high noon
greek teacher
modest coffin
widow shedding black
mount sinai
moses transfigured
dog pound
coon dog
lake without cottage
pelican
lover's promise
satyr
think tank
law of falling bodies
cellar bottles
pices
cathedral builders
waiting nude
leprosariums
noon chime
pre-man spine
living room piano
saturnalia
blade to jugular
farsi roses
antebellum lace
river carved canyon
blood at birth
saint's knucklebone
queen's gardener
ewe membrane
galoshes
unburied greek
pulse points
hearse driver's hat
common memento
mating dance
locked drawer
chastity belt
guffaw
darning needle
glottis
counted teeth
long/short vowels
gazelle
cow ferry
little fishing village
adam naming
polio
silversmith's hammerstrikes
sewing kit
footwound
altar napery
egypt's plagues
shy nephew
watercolor brushstroke
servant dressing
butterfly stroke
twin womb
punctured lung
namesake
children practising scales
lights along the river
anchorite
savant
nature morte
unseasonable heat
denim
four humours
sense of humor
ragtime
internal combustion
higher being
watersnake
freud's mother
jarred specimens
fingersqueak
piano pedals
poisoned guests
migratory monarchs
deafear
tuba
rheumatism
crybaby
cpr ribs
water torture
microtone
b-flat
bizarrerie
ballet flat laced
sewn surgical stitch
lightning bugs bottle
season's edge
spent flashbulbs
sisters braiding
second coming
other cheek turned
painted woman
gentlelady
rope burn
lonely dress
indian ponies
washed feet
crown of thorns
weatherglass
fertility figure
algorithm
cut fruit
old pearls
reek of old silver
breast cancer
birth bed
Apollo landings
facecards
neighboring tribe
unborn shrine
lapsed catholic
lead soldiers
hard to find veins
pentacle
schizophrenia
small torture
solfrege
origami animals
davinci sketches
love-cars
family hemophilia
folksong
southern noose
flammables
van gogh's wheat fields
gaugin's natives
fragile atmosphere hothouse
choral reading
illustrious pedigrees
kings posing
dark calf
knowledge of flesh
wolf whistle
made love
mother of pilgrims
burial society
equator flora
typewriter words
gallow shoes
cross pollination
animalacule
lugnut
blue fire
milkmen
holy war/apocrypha
heist
flower dissected
tree rings
grandsons still unborn
icon's kiss
split wood
confused tongues
frontal lobe
storm cell
river lamps
shoulderbone
lips unused to kiss
cussing ladies
mining towns
paleontolgy
codebreaking machines
night-scents
widowed hens
crib death
baby bones
color postcards
symptoms described to doctors
shadowless as groundhogs
ovens at dachau
lifelong locals
arithmatic of the heart
desireless streetcars
children ballet
gutted fish
bride seen
bath-house
noble gas
luxe function
ultrasound baby
heart defects
deaf composer
language origin
trapeze
human voice
animal experiments
half kiss
freckles
sabbath loaves
melon knock
entropy
kilowatt
wishbone
slightest accent
pearls of wisdom
wrench twist
gentlemen callers
taboo
clay breathed
clapping for servants
bowing elephants
tractor beam
double joint
cast lots
losing duelist
diseased genitalia
corrupt pope
peeled clothing humidity
the tramp
nesting tune
anatomy skeleton
church dog
cripple's foot
baby buggie
nudity
drying bone
antique musical instrument
lunar phase
heat wave
corpse insects
caryatids
mother half-naked
female cancer
blunderbuss
graven image
laying hens
untucked sunday shirt
poetess
heat mirage candle
sarong
indigene drum
wrist bone
tent of the prophet
lightning strike survivors
gypsy words
galilee's son
telling time by shadow
soldier ants
new god
seventh day
chinese dialect
gull cry
rainspout
miner's headlamp
sundial shadow
unearthed pot
tribal memory
self-proclaimed caesars
signs of spring
crustachean
settled gears
shipped caskets
old fingernails
incest children
exhiled emporers
vesper bell
skull picked clean
storm's eye
alley blade
unnamed child
long feud
city tops lit
childhood fear
amnesiac blow
crosses by the road
birdflight
sung gospel
recent beaches
eyesockets
set limbs
landlocked sea shells
night sounds
trees bending for light
good mornings
heliocentric models/orrery
mother's death
martial song
asian shame
slapped pervert
africa
chest-deep laugh
baking day
sacred cow
groundfruit
cellar jars
loan word
dead gesture of a doll
housefire face
threat of summer rain
half-brother
mid-apocalypse
reggae
lunar eclipse
venus
tight heart happiness
roots of words
swept floors
dishonored fatherhood
odd jobs
redwood
barometer
old farmhouse
hand in marriage
fishermen at dawn
borrowed ancestors
small sins
cityless night
rabbit-hearted
evensong
smells of summer
shower song
conjugations of a dead tongue
dead gazelle
scattered gazelles
small town life in the movies
thunder god
muscle memory
larynx
fisherman's knife
grave goods
coyote cry
growing pains
thirst
silent film
meteor shower
summer boys
orchid
doctor housecall
dashed spices
gas flame
small of back
blood spatter scene
insect eyes
haplotype
cortege past clay houses
fist fight
lazarette
livestock bells
high hung fruit
spilled oil
sheepdog
cracked knuckles
woodsmell
thousand cranes
yellow feathers
war cry
war prize
bellwether
hand-peeled sunset
queenbee fat
anatomy
rubbed antlers
gesturing flesh
knees revealed dress
dove throat
messiah
french doors
hunger pangs
slit up dress
glance at baby
loosed fire hydrant
equinox
village chapel
sacramental wine
kite hemming
taken pulse
inside of a cello
city's painters
gypsy earrings
summer power outage
geisha precision
blood-price
opium den
remembered body
colic season
read birds
jerry-rigged butterfly
penmanship
inoperable knots
horseplay
cryptograms
aesops fables
circumference
fox hunt
heartland
love-cars
pangea
upturned wrists meditating
smoking jacket
deathbed facts
red planet
french horn
pulse in neck
set of selves
salmonella
night sweats
tin roof
red flattened metal
bride price
buried kings
deep smoke
sashed breast
peacedrum
flattery
gun fire
playing indians
lingo
japanese poetry
paper boats
witchcraftce
bifocals
cleared throats
pony express
blue jays
waterbugs
purple heart
white man's disease
embryonic heart
egyptologist
galileo denying
duelist's paces
lightning broken tree
celcius
festive shoes
armoire
poison sucked
turtle bones
carolina heat
trick knee
calculus
lantern jaw
archaic smile
duel doubles
high bones
mouse souls
dream symbols
under dream
frankinsence
femur
birth defect
apples in shirt
boyhood homes
heimlich maneuver
small strokes
doctor taking pulse
nocturnal turtle eggs
water drunk from metal buckets
institutionalized wife
tapped tree
northern lights
braille readers
self-immolation
silk road
sabbath shut
water sleepers
planetary weight
koi
goat bells
spurs
cold snap
western medicine
depression winters
carbon dating
twelve disciples
lightning kite
flashback
circadian rhythm
painted turtle
elderly washed tub
yellow sky
african masks
kansas silo
double helix
wishbones
ultrasound
dream journal
dead coral
opera cape
earshot
balm of gilead
woman at the well
butterfly's weight
tiger lily strep
thousand hand dance
heartriff
suicide attempts
skull bloom
mustang
stolen honey
roads dusty with grief
bad medicine
figure of speech
san adreas fault
pheromone stink
canyon updraft
thrown tantrum
broken flowers
lantern slide
salt wave
oystercatcher
scooter traffic
wing joints
dead butterflies
red barn
prowling storm
piano lessons
paddleboat
hencoop
tiger trap
lapsarian
dog heaven
plantation suitors
dog naps
drummerboy rhythm
bloodless coup
sexlife
bird watcher
breakfast china
japanese footbridge
ostrich
ship in a bottle
bat bones
apricots
china painters
tractor cranks broken arm
unlearned heavens
false spring
post-coital cigarette
art supplies
butterfly catcher
whale sound
sextalk
family of planets
painted sailboat
pomegranate swarm
druggist
fireboat
river god
arabesque
salt lake
home-truths
birds of prey
landfall
brave thoughts
absent-mindedness
stillness of haybarns
skipping grades
wingdust
coronary bypass
twin sister
tugging robins
tree mechanisms
blood oxygen
cotton king
twin seas
royal dog
pantheon
safari
handel choir
hayrides
old uniforms
boxstep
rented instruments
folk wisdom
bayou/ riverflats
magi
dog star
dying rabbit
engineered cobweb
degrees of roses
magnet
practiced penmanship
symbol
lionship
atonement
voices of fathers
dwindled alice
barnbirds
bible verse
deer season
heirloom cookbook
navy of india
singing calypso
chinese counting system
muscle diagram
illuminated letter
bedside
cow ferry
gangrape
delivery story
historic watermelon
reich
tugboat of blossoms
protected species
rising october
piazzaful of pigeons
black history month
sound of splintering bone
buckeye
incan ballgame
years of medication
three ships to the spice indies
thrown shoes of ponies
steel trap ankle
false birth
uncoupling telescope
heavy coin eyelids
grain elevator
seismic activity
hilltribe
grand mal seizure
traveling medicine show
vulture cathedral
dog composed entirely of bone
flowers upon soldiers
cathedral glass
panama canal
light in a museum
silent apple
magnet bees homeward
logging oxen
memory of childhood homes
silverware
west walkers
bird call sounds
indian names
snail scripture
bermuda triangle
grandma's let down hair
bamboo
swim lung
fruit scales
canteen moon
hawk bell
wakefulness of horses in predawn
quiltwork
half-remembered farmhouse
church porch
pantry onion
starlet hair curls
new workgloves
missing thumbs of old farmers
auctioned queen's teaset
whale jawbone
lighthousekeeper
pawned gun
hebrew babies on nile
prairie bones
carpenter's son
bullhorn
dark religion
trilobite fossil
bird fieldguide
fishnets in galilee
white name to a slave
reptile house
salt mine
painted boxcar
judas whisper ear
bird flu
fish tribes
positive blood test
passover blood
noon-shade autumn pears
trapped miners
mohs scale
disciples wounds of christ
volcanologist
lesser saint
volcanic rock indians
ninth planet
empire style
violets blown handkerchief
far off bison
saloon girls
hung barn saddles
saw mill
chinese junk
sistine fingers
year of burials
chronology of stone
tornado cellar
singing lessons
engine of tortue
elm
stacked hay
christian name
ceramic diner
california produce pickup
calving whales
joseph to be taxed
lunchcar
nightjar
july flame
ursa minor
newtonian physics
gregor's peas
great lakes
architects of bascillicas
invented egypt
judas price
(painted) last suppers
midsummer
dark ages
invention of the printing press
tea ceremony
dichotomy apple
abraham's lineage
sisters of summer
southern hospitality
sonneteer
second coming
gobi
passing an orchard by train
thumb-sucking
bread baked in a town
monthly haircuts
black church
moses down from the mountain
universal donor
O negative
dozing
speaking of/to bees
three generations of females
former slaves
beatitudes
fathers who get up for chores
trumpeter swan
switchback
lakeside impressionists
quiet nazi way
dry canoe
bareback
emperor's guest
blood-gangs
apostle deaths
first domesticated dogs
licked hand
threshing machine
druggist
westward motion of wagons
burning-glass
sweet weight
boyhood spelunking
war ponies
saddle-blanket
bacchante
indian girl guide
names of wildflowers
snowshoeing
elegy for a dead president
church bazaar
dry spell
begets
death of a fern
secret africas
water from stone
groaning melons
summer of wildfires
intercity rape
well-butchered slave
prayer flags of pressure
red sea upon egyptians
recollected sound of water
desert monsoon
new world maps
map of red rivers
bloodspice
cottage rain
downwind deer
hawk-caught fish
reset bone
summer's wrung memory
indian rope burn
old faithful
biblical grapes
day of the dead
bluegrass
sawn coffin
childhood trees
moon maria
mud lane
slow-forming storm/hatchet
buttonhole posies
horses through snow
deer tracks
miles through snow
homing bone
wild turkey
shot rabid dog
chalk attic symbols
infant moses
churchyard of shells
blind memory of fish
animals at a creche
columned house in shade
whetstone
passion mark
body temperature
movement of owls
dog years
straw hat hung on nail
filmed flesh

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

315 Reviews

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:30 pm
Navita says...

Oh, thank God you put the right thing in the spoiler.

You asked me to look through this. It's an 88 page list on a word document, Ky. I five-columned it, reduced font size, line spacing, margins, everything I could think of. It's still 14 pages. I'm not printing this like I usually do with your work, much as that would help me read that.

I read through the first words, the last ones -- it's fairly entrancing, the experience; there are stories in every word, stories behind the stories. I see how they fascinate you so. It's easy to get carried away; breathe them, sing to them, talk to them, melt them, mold them, because it's true -- they could easily be entities of themselves. I dislike that. I don't build a story, a whole story, from words -- I decide on the basic story and then decide which words I want to throw in. I'm sure you do this too; and I'm going to hope, for your sake, that this has been used far more for mere reference than active use.

But yes, I've seen words, phrases, concepts of these in your writing. Do I notice a pattern? Well, yes and no; there's a fair element of spontaneity you have got here in how and when the words came to you. Overall, yes. There are bizarre animals here, people characturised, taken from the sideline, strange angles, things nobody notices about -- about, well, everything; landscapes, seascapes, pastscapes aside -- and you know what? It's easier to describe this list with what it doesn't have than what it does, because it has so much. There is, first of all, a sharp focus to everything -- almost all concrete nouns. That I could have anticipated anyway; the way your writing focusses in on a single moment, a single image, ties us down to a singularity, something microscopic, means I'm unlikely to find the more 'macro' (perhaps more intellectual / abstract) words -- less scientific process, politics; sure, it permeates all these characters, all these micro things, but the matter remains -- you tend not to find fascination with all the mentally enormous. Rather, it's ordinary made extraordinary. And since it's mostly nouns, and fewer verbs, we get something else: that characteristic slowness of your pacing.

Another thing I noticed. This is not a criticism, or an opinion, just an observation: the world where you saw beauty most is several centuries back. I've rarely read anything stingingly and obviously modern from you. I mean, on a personal basis, I'm fine with that -- your writing is escape, as opposed to enhancement, of this reality -- but if you were thinking of branching out, you may like to consider time as well as space -- you cover space well enough. Most of these words have a fantastically fairytale-of-the-last-century feel to them -- perhaps it's the agglomerate, I'm not sure.

Also, just wanted to ask you -- are there words you think should never go in a poem? That you would feel repulsed, or strange about, if you were to put in the word list?

387 Reviews

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 am
Kylan says...

NaPo on hold until post-finals. I may post one or two during the next week or so, but I'll be back with a vengeance in the latter third of the month.

'Til then

Kylan

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

387 Reviews

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:03 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

april 11

veda's bibles

slit doe of plum blossoms
rolling off dusk's shingles
like the words of st. Catherine
in the ear of a burlap maid
at a white Orleans field,
hanging over quartered streets
in sheets of columned cottage-rain.
these new doorpost shadows, warm
and sun-brought, hen-rustling with july
like nail-hung straw hats, where
you find last night's clocharde and
her bible propped open to Nehemiah.
passages of scripture highlighted
to a crayola spectrum, the story
of Job slated in blues and greens
as if the words were local warnings
of a rickety water.

it is not too cold yet, and saffron
peels across Esther's denunciation of Haman,
swirling the way bright fabric does
from african skin, worn reds
in Exodus, slanted sun in
a camelhair desert, John the baptist
breaks scuffed locusts like trellis peas
in colonnades of rose.

she tells me that it is
from god, the drawers of color in her
Gideon-placed bible, serifs
and seraphim walled by dyed cliffs.
god, diffracted, as she bends
over psalms, coloring them the browns
of broken barns in spring—

I turn to doorstep blossoms, the ancient
grammar of honeybees, milk, petals spilling
like an old, lidded testament—I
strain to hear the hues.

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats