z

Young Writers Society

The "Life is Hard" Contest

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 pm
View Likes
Vincente says...

@Lucrezia is holding a contest over at the Writer's Club, but since she's out of town, I figured I'd post a forum about it for her. :wink:

Here are the details.

Prompt: Write an emotional, heartfelt piece that you think best represents you. I want your heart and soul poured into it! Prose and poetry is allowed, and basically any other style of writing (essay, journal entry, whatever) that you can think of. The only real rule is that it has to be an emotional piece, and about something that's close to your heart. In other words, if you struggled with an eating disorder, write about that. If your boyfriend/girlfriend cheated on you, write about that. If your aunt got cancer last year, write about that.

Note: It does not have to be written in the style of non-fiction. You can write it like you would write a fictional short story, with characters that are not real (though based on you or a loved one). I.e., you could have dyslexia and write a short about that, only the MC is named Judy instead of [insert your name here] and lives in Chicago instead of [insert your town here]. In fact, I think writing your piece in the style of fiction could be very interesting...

Rules: Must be finished and handed in by April 10th, please. Must be rated 16+ or less (i.e., no F-bombs or graphic sex scenes/sexual content, but minor swear words are allowed). Has to be 3,000 words or less, however there is a small bit of wiggle room (basically, if your piece is 3,500 words, I won't mind... just try and keep it somewhere around or below that, all right?).

As I said earlier, any type of work is accepted, with the exception of a chapter. Don't get me wrong, I love novels, but this isn't the contest for one. ;)

You can post your piece here by copying and pasting it in. And if you don't post it or give a link to it here, at the very least PM me so I know you're participating.

Please post it with the title and spoilers.

First and second place winners will be selected within a week of the contest ending.

Prizes

First place will win:

1,500 Points and Five Reviews

Second place will win:

950 Points and Three Reviews

And finally, third place will be awarded:

600 Points and One Review

If you want to donate points or reviews, you definitely can. Just post here and let me know so I can update it. ;)

Anyone that wants to judge can PM me. Winners will be selected based on emotion, the ability to stay on theme, technical flawlessness (a lack of typos/grammar missteps/punctuation problems), flow, choice of wording, style and rhythm.

If you have any questions, ask away. :D

Oh, and here's a link to the club: clubs/1819. Subscribing isn't necessary if you want to enter this contest, but it is appreciated. :)

(In the forums section of the club, you'll find a "Challenge Yourself" thread... you can also post any questions or your submission there.)

Respond to this forum if you're interested, please. Thanks! :smt003
Last edited by Vincente on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:02 am
deleted30 says...

Turns out I didn't have to leave town after all! But thanks for posting, Vince. :smt003

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 am
turtlethatroars says...

*raises hand* Oh oh I wanna!!! Question: Can it be something I wrote a few months ago, or does it have to be new?
"the beauty of words. They can be many different things to many different people. It's all in how we listen. Or how we read." - Lyrical Inspiration (authors note) of Enemies and Playmates by Darcia Helle

-Formally tkpejb

Random avatar

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 am
deleted30 says...

@tkpejb, so long as it fits the theme, it can definitely be something you wrote a while ago. :D

68 Reviews

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:54 am
View Likes
turtlethatroars says...

Sweet! :D :D :D I'm actually super excited about this and I have no clue why! Haha. Here it is! First entry I believe!
"the beauty of words. They can be many different things to many different people. It's all in how we listen. Or how we read." - Lyrical Inspiration (authors note) of Enemies and Playmates by Darcia Helle

-Formally tkpejb

Random avatar

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:02 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Thanks so much for submitting! :smt003

68 Reviews

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:04 am
turtlethatroars says...

No problem!

-Formally tkpejb

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 pm
RobinSparkles says...

I think I'm going to do this! Sounds awesome <3
Writer of the Week : I'M A JUDGE!

Reviews: 1
Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:00 pm
Cosette4Ever says...

Ooh, I'm so entering this. Great idea. :D

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 pm
Pompadour says...

I'm entering this! Wheep. :D
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:19 pm
steward says...

Count me in please., :))
"Stay brave." -Steward

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:57 pm
steward says...

Here is my entry: Last Moments
:D
"Stay brave." -Steward

Random avatar

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:02 pm
deleted30 says...

Thanks for submitting! :smt003

Random avatar

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:53 am
deleted30 says...

Thanks to a very, very generous donation from the awesome @Silverlock, prizes have now been bumped up!

First place: 1,500 points

Second place: 950 points

Third place: 600 points

Thank you so much, Silver!! You are the best. ^_^

@Vincente, if you could make the adjustments in the opening post of this forum, that'd be awesome. :smt003

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:20 am
View Likes
Vincente says...

Lucrezia wrote:Thanks to a very, very generous donation from the awesome @Silverlock, prizes have now been bumped up!

First place: 1,500 points

Second place: 950 points

Third place: 600 points

Thank you so much, Silver!! You are the best. ^_^

@Vincente, if you could make the adjustments in the opening post of this forum, that'd be awesome. :smt003

Updated :wink:

A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown