z

Young Writers Society

"Hot Guys" and "Hot Girls" threads

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:05 am
Galatea says...

There is no excuse for a community of intellegent young adults to sit around at their computers and objectify the opposite sex. These threads open up room for back-ground noise that I think we would be well to avoid. There is obviously the connection between female celebrity, female thinness, and eating disorders, depression, self-esteem problems...but more than that. Boys objectify girls and then we turn around and do it to the boys?! What sort of ludacris thought process brought this about? I am fully aware that there is some 'equality' in this, but equal exploitation of the sexes is certainly not what the first, second and current third waves of feminism were about! I don't want my little brother or my little nephews growing up in a world where objectification of any kind is acceptable. I don't want them developing the same stigmas I had as a young girl trying to grow into my own skin. How is that sort of equality a step foreward? As my country dives into the moral sinkhole of celebrity influence, violence and all sorts of sexual smut, I am shocked and amazed that the young people here buy into it. Children and young adults like us should be battling this kind of degredation, but instead we exhalt it?! I am absolutely disgusted. I don't believe in censorship, we are all free to do what we wish here (within reason...just because you can doesn't mean you should), and despite my extreme moral objections to the threads I shall endure them. However, I felt it absolutely necessary to express my opinions to everyone here.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:31 am
DarkerSarah says...

There's no excuse for a community of intelligent young adults to sit around their computers and chit chat with strangers about random things when there are people starving in their own cities, either.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:55 am
Crysi says...

DarkerSarah, I do believe you have completely missed Gal's point.

I agree Gal. 100%.
Love and Light

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:21 am
Shadow Knight says...

I'm with Gal.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:32 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I'm with Gal, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate beautiful looking at people. But I don't think thats entirely relevant. but go Gal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:22 pm
Armadian says...

I agree with Gal.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:35 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I agree with gal.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:42 pm
Firestarter says...

Yes, they can have negative connotations but personally I don't think they are a serious problem. They are just a bit of fun.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:34 pm
Areida says...

Seeing a thread full of pictures of beautiful women does not want to make run to the bathroom and vomit up my breakfast so I can be as thin as them. Most celebrity photos are airbrushed to remove blemishes and other things as well as to make them thinner. I mean, all the pictures of them when they haven't had their hair and makeup professionally done are pretty crappy anyway.

But I have a better idea. Instead of looking at pictures of hot guys to relieve normal hormonal surges that pretty much all teenagers have at my age, I'll go out and find some guy to impregnate me. That way I won't undermine the progress we've made a society.

EDIT: Wow. I think that may have been my first rant on this site.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:22 pm
Nai says...

Jack and Arieda are right, Gal.. we are just having some fun.

I don't see what the big deal is. We aren't some mindless, media-controlled barbarians.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:38 pm
Muse says...

I see your point...but it's only a bit of fun...
Hmm, I agree with Areida. Looking at beautiful women doesn't give me the urge to starve myself, or throw up my food. And anyway, even without the media, people would still be trying to look thinner. Remember when women used to wear corsets etc?

Unless I have totally misunderstood what your argument was about.
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:57 pm
Rei says...

Very true, it's just fun. Yes, we are a group of supposedly intellegent teenagers. But we're also humans. There is a part of us that isn't that much different from animals when it comes to the opposite sex. There is nothing wrong with looking as long as we remember that they are people too, and as long as boys and girls understand that they do not need to look like them, or be that thin, to be respected, or to be valued. Kids who become anorexic from looking at those pictures most likely already had a self-esteem problem in the first place. I like looking at pictures of Tom Welling and Billy Boyd, but I also respect them as actors. Since I have that respect, I don't see a problem in enjoyed their very nice faces as well.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:08 pm
Shriek says...

-Grins- We are "intellegent young adults"? This is news to me. ;)

No. Seriously though. I understand where you are coming from, Gal--even more so than you know. But to out and out criticize everyone posting in the threads as "div[ing] into the moral sinkhole of celebrity influence, violence and all sorts of sexual smut" is an insult. A person posts there and they are suddenly accused of extreme exploitation and objectification?

It's a clean thread (at least the 'hot guys' one is). I'm sorry, but I fail to see what is so disgusting about that, especially when there are worse images out there.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:21 pm
Nai says...

EDIT: Sorry, I sounded really stupid.
Last edited by Nai on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:31 pm
Shriek says...

Edit on account of Aniar's edit.
Last edited by Shriek on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss