z

Young Writers Society

Grammatical Errors In Public

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 pm
niteowl says...

I went to my NHS (National Honors Society, which makes the following even funnier) meeting the other day and was amused by the amount of typos in the blurbs about the board candidates. One is a "memberer" of the football team, another "take greats pride" in his accomplishments and there were several POV switches. Did "I" write this or "He/She"? It was hilarious. But not quite as hilarious as my favorite NHS typo ever: "We especially need tutors who speak a second language for those students who do no speak English."

That was silly, but hey, this is the Randomness forum! Long live our annoyance with grammar errors!
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:58 pm
vet4life13 says...

It drives me crazywhen I find typos! I found a typo in my grammer book!

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:54 pm
Sophie says...

Sophie wrote:And I recently texted into Kerrang!'s digital radio station to yell at them for saying something about texting "u're" messages to their number.

We have already made an influence somehow, people! The other day Kerrang! radio was on the tv in my college common room, and I was scanning for the error to have another rant about to fresh people. And BAM! There it was: a perfectly spelt, and perfectly placed "your".
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

98 Reviews

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 pm
Sophie says...

And ooh ooh, here's a game

Spot the typo(s) in the above post... I just found one, and felt a little silly. Can you see it?
Oh the trees!

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:07 pm
Twit says...

Errors in books annoy me, but sometimes that's just to do with the publisher. My copy of The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes is simply awful to read. Bad spelling, missed out words, bad grammer, even a whole chunk of missing text.

There's a nasty little circuit in my brain that always looks at the news boards outside the newsagents. It's never anything drastic, just "it's" instead of "its" and "thing's" instead of "things" but I still like to look.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:49 pm
niteowl says...

Sophie wrote:And ooh ooh, here's a game

Spot the typo(s) in the above post... I just found one, and felt a little silly. Can you see it?

Was it "to fresh people?" Because I'm not quite sure what you meant by that. Was it supposed to be "too fresh"? Are there two fresh people you're referring to? Or did you mean a different word?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

98 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 pm
Sophie says...

I meant the chance to "rant about (it) to fresh people" as in rant to new people who haven't heard it.
Oh the trees!

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:18 pm
JFW1415 says...

I have a daily horoscope sent to my e-mail address every day, which I read at the end of the day. (I like laughing about how wrong or right they were. :roll: ) Anyways, here's todays.

A friend or coworker suggests a scheme that seems to wild to even consider. Let it roll around in your mind, but make sure you're just as skeptical toward this as you would be if a stranger suggested it.

Bah! The dreaded too/to/two issue! :evil:

~JFW1415

98 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:38 pm
View Likes
Sophie says...

Is that the American spelling of "sceptical" I presume?
Oh the trees!

438 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:44 pm
JFW1415 says...

Sophie wrote:Is that the American spelling of "sceptical" I presume?

Yeah. I didn't even know there was a different way to spell it. :roll:

~JFW1415

98 Reviews

Tue May 06, 2008 1:33 pm
Sophie says...

And do Americans really write "thru" instead of "through" or is it just the slang I always thought it was?
Oh the trees!

438 Reviews

Tue May 06, 2008 1:52 pm
JFW1415 says...

Sophie wrote:And do Americans really write "thru" instead of "through" or is it just the slang I always thought it was?

No, we don't. Kids just do that when they're lazy, on IMs, e-mails, stuff like that.

~JFW1415

EDIT: Actually, I think some stores actually have 'Drive Thru' on them. Just like 'Rite Aid.' They mispell things intentionally. (I hate it!)

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Tue May 06, 2008 2:07 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

TL G-Wooster wrote:Errors in books annoy me, but sometimes that's just to do with the publisher. My copy of The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes is simply awful to read. Bad spelling, missed out words, bad grammer, even a whole chunk of missing text.

There's a nasty little circuit in my brain that always looks at the news boards outside the newsagents. It's never anything drastic, just "it's" instead of "its" and "thing's" instead of "things" but I still like to look.

I have to agree with you. I find errors like that in almost every book I read.

You go UGH! ever time you see them and then they bless you again!
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 pm
Myles Wong says...

And back to finding typos in the post above you.
You go UGH! ever time you see them and then they bless you again!

Surely you go UGH every time you see them?

Don't you just hate people like me? :P
But enough about me, what do YOU think about me?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon May 19, 2008 12:39 am
helpless42 says...

I once saw a sign that said "eat here and get gas." instead of "eat here, and get gas."

If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.
— W. Edwards Deming