z

Young Writers Society

I'm tired...

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:12 am
Crysi says...

I've thought about that before, too. Who decided they were "bad" words? That's what frustrates me, because I'm not allowed to say words that simply express emotion or punctuation.
Love and Light

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:16 am
hekategirl says...

I guess I was just agreeing with you then :P
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:47 am
Meshugenah says...

BS.. I happen to agree with you when used on a day-to-day basis, but in writing, often times it makes sense to have a character say something that doesn't sound entirely intelligent (need I quote Song of Ice and Fire? even though that was a bit more of a guy who was extrememly fusturated, and a few other.. overly friendly references).

And Crysi, want any help there? :P

As to darn vs. damn, it's considered polite, and I find it laughable that darn is "socially acceptable" (so in my case my parents allow darn but not damn), while it means the same thing as damn. I guess someone along the line decided that it just was too vulgar to use, so of course people still use it, and others are horrified someone uses it. Moving along, I think that its not the word itself that someone might object to, but the intent the person saying it has. Yes, there are other ways of expressing yourself, but the intent is still the same, it just sounds more flowery.

Just me, though.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:51 pm
Duskglimmer says...

My mind is going to get extremely twisted up in this area.

In my mind, it is not the actually word that is wrong, but the thought behind it. Therefore, if you mean "d*mn", but say "darn", then it's just as bad.

And yet, if someone uses the word "damn", but it's just another word to them, having the same thought behind it as "skittles" or "pepper shakers" or "snickerdoodle" (all words I have been known to say when I'm angry or frustrated or upset), then it's only bad because of what arises in the minds of those who hear it.

So for my own personal standards, these are the rules that I have laid down for myself:
1) avoid the use of the words like d*mn, sh*t, etc.
2) use darn, shoot, and other such word sparingly
and 3) if you can make the situation lighter for yourself and others by saying random words like "snickerdoodle", then do so.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:10 am
marching_gurl89 says...

I think writers that should not use vulgar words because we are supposed to be intelligent and using words like that does not sound to intelligent.

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead