z

Young Writers Society

Like films that make you think? Then check out these films!

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:02 pm
eviehoward says...

So recently I've just been wanting to watch films that require brain cells, not those big Hollywood films that are only based on action. So I did a little digging and found some amazing films.

First of all, if you haven't heard of Brit Marling then you haven't lived. She's only in her 20's but has written a few films that have been beautiful and thought provoking. I haven't had the privilege to watch her most recent film The East, which stars True Bloods own Alexander Skarsgard (hope I spelled that right). But her previous films 'Another Earth' and 'Sound of her voice' are truly amazing. She stars and writes in these films.

Sound of her voice is about a couple who join a cult to make a documentary about them. Marling plays the cult leader Maggie who claims to be from the future. The film follows the couple as they embrace the life of the cult.

Another Earth is about how Marling's character copes with an accident she caused on the night that 'Earth 2' (basically a mirror image of our Earth) appears in the sky.

Other than Brit Marling's films, I can also refer you all to the following:

The Science of Sleep
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Donnie Darko.

All of the films above are absolutely amazing. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have :D
“Books loved anyone who opened them, they gave you secruity and friendship and didn't ask for anything in return; they never went away, never, not even when you treated them badly. ”
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:34 pm
birk says...

Hey Evie, welcome to YWS ;)

I love philosophical films that will make you think. It's such movie magic.
I also happen to love Brit Marling, she is so talented. So young, yet she has written and produced such movies. She's even a great actress.

I first saw Another Earth early last year after finding out it was similar to Solaris. (Some similarities, but different). Fantastic movie.

Heh, "if we don't know about her we haven't lived"? A bit too much, she's not that well known really.

All of Michael Gondry's films are amazing. Although scripts from Charlie Kaufman does wonders.

Eternal Sunshine is my 4th favorite film of all time.

A couple of lesser known movies which are a bit out there:
The City of Lost Children (1995)
Stalker (1979) - A favorite. But in all russian.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:40 pm
View Likes
birk says...

Oh, another small Indie movie that is fantastic:
Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) - This film is fantastic. Elizabeth Olsen is one my current favorite actresses. Who knew the Olson twins had a little sister? And she's better then both combined. Nice.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:03 pm
eviehoward says...

I wanted to see the Martha Marcy May Marlene but the whole background of sexual abuse in it makes me a bit uneasy, I can't really stomach films like that.

I tend to be a bit dramatic sometimes if i think a writer/actress is good XD

And I'm glad someone else has heard of her. I introduced it to my Mum and now she loves her, I'm brainwashing people one person at a time XD
“Books loved anyone who opened them, they gave you secruity and friendship and didn't ask for anything in return; they never went away, never, not even when you treated them badly. ”
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:20 am
View Likes
Valkyrie17 says...

These are the best kind of movies in my opinion! :D

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a brilliant movie and definitely makes my all time favourites list. I haven't heard of Brit Marling but I'll be sure to check her out. You make her and her movies sound amazing so they better live up to expectations. ;)

I have a couple to add to the list that come to mind at the moment and they are: A Clockwork Orange and 1984. To me they are 'greats'.

A Clockwork Orange is quite controversial, creepy and not for the faint hearted however, it does make you think about free will in society as well as corrupt governments that use individuals to their gain. If you haven't seen it and think you can stomach the violence then it is a must watch (or read).

1984 is quite a slow movie but if you stick with it the ending is worth the wait. As I'm sure you'll will know it is originally a book written by George Orwell. Some might not agree that the movie lived up to the book however Orwell's main message of the importance of the freedom of speech etc is still there.

These movies might not keep you guessing till the end but they certainly make you think. :) At least I think so... xD

I think 'One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' and 'The Machinist' should also be added. Although I haven't personally watched them, I have heard they are very good and fit into the category we are talking about (I could be wrong).
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much" ~ Oscar Wilde

"Love is a serious mental disease" ~ Plato

"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity" ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief