z

Young Writers Society

Uglies

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:44 pm
niteowl says...

I read Uglies by Scott Westerfield when I was in Greece. It was so good, I couldn't stop reading even though I nearly puked on a boat where almost everyone got seasick (including my grandma).

It's about this girl, Tally, who lives in a world where everyone gets an operation on their 16th birthday to make them "pretty" and then they go to this place where all they do is party party party! Her birthday is finally coming up, and she can't wait...until she makes a new friend who wants to *gasp* stay "ugly"! She runs away, and the authorities capture Tally and force her to either turn her friend in, or never turn pretty at all.

This book is amazing, I think everyone should read it. I need to get the sequel "Pretties"!
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:07 pm
Cassandra says...

Sounds interesting...I'll have to check this out.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:27 pm
View Likes
Ani May Queen says...

I just bought Uglies but I'm saving it to read on vacation. I'm really glad someone thinks its good, now I'm happy a bought it instead of the other ones I was considering!
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:41 pm
last mohican says...

Uglies was wonderful! I have also read the Pretties and it was good too, although I don't think I liked it as much. I don't know, I probably just need to read it again and refresh my memory...so don't listen. You'll love the Pretties. The last book, Specials, is out now too. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it yet though, too much is at stake for it to be read lightly :shock:
"...I have conclusively determined that you are not Hamlet, Scout Finch, Frankenstine's monster, Ms. Marple, or a golum. Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golum?"~Dustin Hoffman

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:49 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I just finished it. I loved it. I am going to be starting pretties this weekend.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Elemental says...

I loved that book. It was extremely good, unpredictable and well-written. I really love how Scott Westerfeld made a realistic sci-fi book, I can really see this happening in the future. I also love how he made three sets of people; Uglies, Pretties, and Specials, and he wrote a book about each of them! I can't wait to read Pretties.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:55 pm
Elemental says...

I loved that book. It was extremely good, unpredictable and well-written. I really love how Scott Westerfeld made a realistic sci-fi book, I can really see this happening in the future. I also love how he made three sets of people; Uglies, Pretties, and Specials, and he wrote a book about each of them! I can't wait to read Pretties.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:17 pm
Pushca says...

Amazing novel. I've nothing to say that hasn't already been said, though.
Last edited by Pushca on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:44 pm
tinny says...

Uglies is very good, although I still don't thaink that Pretties was as good. I'm yet to buy Specials. They do have the added benefit in that they're some of the few books that my little sister will read. She doesn't like books, but she'll happily read things by Scott Westefeld.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:46 am
Mr. Everyone says...

Funny that you mention it I have actually read this one. It was pretty good, I recomend it to anyone who would agree that there alive.=)

Happy writings! and =)wonderfull readings(=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:37 pm
Leja says...

This series is near and dear to my heart. What I love most about it is that Scott Westerfeld doesn't appear to shove the story into one specific category: sci-fi, romance, adventure, etc., even though it is all of these things, and so many more. Let's put it this way: I've reread this book so many times that the spine is beginning to flatten (like, you open the book and the pages lay flat instead of bouncing back and closing). Yes, some of the language seems a little corny if you're skimming through it ("crumblies", "middle pretties") but it works within the story, and there is no excuse for changing it! I've read the whole series and loved it all; I can't wait until Extras is published (even though it isn't about Tally, per se).
Last edited by Leja on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:20 am
BellaLuna says...

I read Uglies last summer, mostly because my friend was begging, begging, begging me to read it. I read it all the way through, and I have to say that I found the ending to be very disappointing. I remember I got to the end of book and I thought, "That's it?! That's the ending?!" It just didn't seem to resolve anything, it was just a huge cliffhanger. On top of that, I didn't really like the book all that much. Sci-fi and futuristic novels aren't my favorite to read.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:21 pm
JC says...

:!: WARNING, THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS YET :!:

Well, I read all three books in the series and I still don't know if I like it as much as I thought I would. Uglies was undoubtedly the best in the series, but I think it would have done a lot better if Tally hadn't been made pretty and stayed in the Smoke. But that's just my opinion. I also liked that it was like Fahrenheit 451 in that it was questioning society, and I also like that it treated us as we are now as a completely different species. That was awesome.

So to sum it up, I like the theories in the books, if not the books themselves.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:45 am
McMourning says...

JCobsesed wrote: Uglies was undoubtedly the best in the series, but I think it would have done a lot better if Tally hadn't been made pretty and stayed in the Smoke.

That's exactly what I was thinking! There were a bunch of things in Pretties that I disagreed with, but it wasn't a horrible novel. But, when I got to Specials, I was forcing myself to finish it, just so I knew what happened to Tally.

It wasn't just the events, but also Westerfeld's style of writing. It seemed to worsen as the trilogy progressed. I don't know it it was just me, or what, but the scenes seemed to get less dramatic and more boring.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:55 am
Mad says...

I haven't read the pretties/uglies/specials, but I rather liked Scott Westerfeld from his midnighters series. Anyone read that? I think I'll go out an try and find these books since so many people have said that they like them.
Last edited by Mad on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

Yewis superiority!
— Several authors from the auspicious site.