z

Young Writers Society

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

Do you like The Hunchback of Notre Dame?

Yes
50%
No
25%
Kind of
25%

Total votes : 4

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:30 pm
DarkerSarah says...

I had to read The Hunchback for my AP Senior English class, and I rarely like books I'm assigned to read, so I didn't even consider liking this one. Even though the beginning chapter is about as slow as a beginning chapter could be, Hugo soon captivates you with his introduction of the poet Gringoire, and the chaotic situation he falls into.

Hugo's strong point in the novel is definitely his rich characterization of Esmeralda, Quasimodo, Phoebus, Frollo, and Gringoire. You get to know each character and began to anticipate and expect their reactions. They become living and breathing.

The story itself is full bodied and gothic, and its theme is unrequited love and ultimate loneliness. The cathedral becomes an intricate part of each character's life, and is as important a presence as any.

NOTE: Disney butchered the story! (But what's new, eh?)

I'd recommend The Hunchback for the older crowd, mainly for the level of difficulty rather than for content. The content is a little more mature, but not due to any explicit sexual/graphic context.

Enjoy!
-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:39 am
Chevy says...

The Disney version and the real version were both wack to me. Victor Hugo is wack all the way around, if you ask me.

Reviews: 3
Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:55 pm
Lingering_Shadow says...

I'm currently reading it for English Class. I'm afraid I find the pace so utterly slow that it has yet to capture my attention for very long. I think the story line is fairly interesting, but I think Hugo is focusing too much on details as opposed to actual action and character development. But perhaps I just haven't read far enough.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:00 am
Meshugenah says...

I'm reading it for english as well, but the abridged version. Rotten school. It is a slow pace, but alot happens (well, with the version i have.. :roll:) ok so far, tho!

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
— Robert Frost