Young Writers Society

No Country for Old Men / The Road

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 pm
Blink says...

Yes, they are different books.

Anyways, I decided to add my thoughts on these books here. Not a lot to say, but feel free to tell me what you thought of them.

The Road

I bought this on Saturday. Finished it on Sunday. I just couldn't put it down. Although it was horrendously depressing -- a boy and his father walking through the burnt American skyline -- it was very moving. I felt that there was a real journey involved, and not a random collection of thoughts featuring a couple of people out for a jog. I got a real picture of what was there and McCarthy is a master of prose. Love his books. Throughout, neither the boy nor his father are given names and it adds to the sense of them being nothing. No civilisation or anything.

Don't read it late at night or when it's dark outside. 'Tis sad. But an incredible book.

No Country for Old Men

I finished reading this about a week ago, and although not as heart-breaking as The Road, the story is fantastically planned and it's real. I saw the film yesterday and again, very impressed. You can like all of the characters, even the mass murderers, and not be disappointed.

I don't have a lot of constructive criticism to offer, but anyway, great books.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:46 am
Kylan says...

Love McCarthy, love The Road.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:14 pm
Trikky says...

The Road? Sounds good, I'll have to check it out.

Your description of the murderers in No Country for Old Men reminds me of Dick and Perry from Truman Capote's In Cold Blood , because they were super-relatable as well. ^^
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

243 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

Trikky wrote:The Road? Sounds good, I'll have to check it out.

Your description of the murderers in No Country for Old Men reminds me of Dick and Perry from Truman Capote's In Cold Blood , because they were super-relatable as well. ^^

Relatable? Been murdered much recently? xD
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:18 pm
Trikky says...

A better question might be: Murdered anybody recently?

... but the answer's still no. xD lol
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:06 pm
mikepyro says...

Yes. The Road is my favorite book. One of the greatest novels ever written.
Cormac McCarthy is a modern master.

The film version of The Road is coming out soon with Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall, Guy Pierce, and Charlize Theron. It's gotten rave reviews and looks like one of the films to watch after this year.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:03 pm
Blink says...

Yes! It was intended to come out in November last year, but then December, and just "2009". So it's already been filmed; just waiting for it to come out. =)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:11 am
BustedFlush says...

In The Road I found the little boy and his father's relationship to be the only good thing in a world full of murderers and cannibals. The whole time I just want them to make it to the coast.

No Country for Old Men was special because of the magnificent characters that McCarthy designs. Having the serial killer being obsessed with chance is brilliant. No one ever knows what he is talking about with that coin.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:47 am
Jordan Lacroix says...

No Country for Old Men in is my top favorite books ever! Loved it so much and the movie was almost just as good. You kind of can say No Country for Old Men was a bit depressing because of the sheriff because he goes on how he feels bad for not catching the bad guys and well i don't wanna spoil it...

The Road was very good as well, it started off a little slow but it kind of matches the story because it's just the two of them trying to survive in this burnt, destroyed world, there isn't much you can do. The movie however doesn't look that promising... half of it doesn't look like anything I imagined, and that one sound effect of the guy screaming when falling is one of the most annoying and most over used sound effect ever! Also at the begin of the trailer it looks like they're trying to explain what caused the whole end of the world! which is what the book ISN"T about, it's about the relationship and bond of a father and son surviving in a world of no hope! Still I'm going to go see it regardless, because I enjoyed the book, I will most likely be the guy in the theater yelling, "Hey! That's not what suppose to happen! Has the director even read the damn book for Christ sakes?! What is this?!"
"Love can be seen even through the darkest of times" - The Spiteful Figure.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 am
VeraWinters says...

I love No Country for old men. Although I thought It was the scariest movie I have seen in a very long time.
I can see why it won all those Oscars, It was the perfect blend of gore, plot, humor, and action.
The villain especially deserved his Oscar, he is actually Spanish and is not that great at speaking english, but you could never tell.
But I don't like one thing.
The villains haircut was SOOO bad.

Vera
Who is John Galt?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:24 am
Krupp says...

These two books are good, but quite honestly, I believe that Blood Meridian and Suttree are McCarthy's finest writings...Blood Meridian is easily one of the most savage things I've ever read, but it's also one of the greatest there is...I think that the Judge in Blood Meridian is even scarier than the villain in No Country.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare