z

Young Writers Society

Ill Met By Moonlight, by Sarah A. Hoyt

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:51 am
bubblewrapped says...

"Ill Met By Moonlight" is the first in a series of fantastic books by Sarah A. Hoyt detailing the life of one William Shakespeare and his contact with the world of the faery. Born a poor glover's son, Will is scarcely the sort of man one would imagine as a poet, let alone the greatest author in history; married at nineteen, now with an infant daughter, he is a dedicated husband and father, and works for meager pay as a petty schoolmaster in a nearby town. Or, he did - until the day that his wife, Nan, and his daughter, Susannah, disappeared. Desperate to recover his beloved family, Will must now seek out the hill people, who live in the nearby forest, and rescue his loved ones from a corrupt King, in the process earning the love of a faery of royal blood and becoming entangled in a daring plot for vengeance.

Summary:

SCENE: A world not of this world, but in it - where a transparent palace hangs suspended in midair and tiny fairies twinkle here and there...where a traitorous king holds court before elven lords and ladies...and where fantastical tragedies and capricious romances reach out and entangle mortal souls...

ENTER: William Shakespeare

(courtesy of http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0441009832/ref=sib_rdr_bc/102-2186227-6392140?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S08K#reader-page at Amazon.com)

This is an original and beautiful novel, as well as intriguing speculation on the origin of Shakespeares' "dark lady". Using plots, quotes and situations found in many of Shakespeare's best-loved plays, "Ill Met By Moonlight" weaves an incredible tale of two worlds that intertwine only briefly, and usually with disastrous consequences for all involved. Hoyt creates vivid characters and deep, moving conflicts, breathing life into the 'lost years' of one of the world's greatest authors and adding new insight into the possible sources of the Bard's inspiration. Definitely a must-read for lovers of Fantasy or Shakespeare who are over thirteen.

For those who have read and enjoyed this book, it is followed by "All Night Awake" and "Any Man So Daring".

My rating: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: out of 5
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:35 pm
Rydia says...

Doesn't really sound like my sort of book but I know a friend who would love it.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:00 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Ooo! I must check this out, espeically as I just played Titania in a production of MSND (that's MidSummer Night's Dream, sorry).
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:10 pm
Twit says...

Why the emphasis on "over thirteen"?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:02 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

ooh! this sounds really good! i'll have to check it out!

and gyrfalcon, LOVE the song in your signature...
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:06 pm
Stori says...

Cool! Is it based on a real story? I want to read it!!
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace