z

Young Writers Society

Tamora Pierce

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:07 pm
Rosendorn says...

Anybody read her work? I read mostly the Tortal universe, that goes like so:

Song of the Lioness quartet, first book- Alanna, the First Adventure: About a girl (Alanna) who switches with her twin brother (Thom, pronounced TOM) so she can become a knight and he came become a great sorcer. First Adventure deals with her page years. Even thought the first book is small, you must read it for anything else she has written in Tortal to make sense.
The rest of the books in Song are- In the Hand of the Goddess (her squire years) Woman who Rides Like a Man (just gotten her shield) and Lioness Rampant, (still going on adventures)

Immortals quartet, first book- Wild Magic: About another girl (Daine) that is orphaned. She joins with a traveling horse trader and ends up at the palace. Along the way she encounters unearthly creatures called immortals and some friends (Several characters from Song show up in this quartet. Reason you have to read it first). When she gets to the palace she discovers she has a branch of magic called wild magic, more so then any other human. She must master her magic to be able to save the kingdom.
Rest of the books- Wolf Speaker (she joins up with a wolf pack from her old home because something's wrong in their new one), Emperor Mage (goes to a neighbouring country and finds out a bunch of stuff. This series ties into itself a lot, so I can't say more then that) and In the Realm of the Gods (She gets pulled there by.... gods [not saying more then that] and learns a bunch More stuff)

Protector of the Small quartet, first book- First Test. About Keldrie of Minderlan (Kel) who is the first girl to take advantage of the proclemation that lets girls be knights. She is put on one year's probation to make sure she cat do things. Again, characters from the first two quartets show up.
Other books- Page (her page years) Squire (she gets chosen by one of the best knights in the realm, one of Alanna's friends) and Lady Knight (her first year or so as one. She's chosen to head a refuge camp during war)

Daughter of the Lioness, also called the Trickster Books, first book- Trickster's Choice. I haven't read past chapter 3 of this book, but basically it follows Aly, Alanna's daughter, as she gets sold into slavery in a war-torn island nation. She has inherited the strength of magic from Alanna, and the Sight (another branch of magic) from her father. She has to put her master spy skills to the test.
Other book- Trickster's Queen. Her continuing adventures on the island.

Proverst's Dog trilogy, first book- Terrier. About Beka (Rebekah) Cooper, who was the ansestor of one of the characters in Song. The Proverst guard is a police force for Tortal, and Beka has just been accepted. This follows her time as a puppy (what trainees are called) and it covers under two months of her life. This book is told in first person journal style, and you can read it if you haven't read Immortals, Protector of the Small or Tricksters since it is set 200 years before Song. But you should read Alanna the First Adventure just to see the irony.
Other books- Bloodhound (out spring 2009) and Elkhound (spring 2010, I think)

All of her quartets have romance in them at one point or another, lovers are mentioned, gayness is mentioned later on (Protector) and violence and corruption are large parts of all her books, some more then others. Even though I know somebody who read them before she was 10, I wouldn't recomend these to anybody under 13.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:14 pm
Night Mistress says...

i have the the song of the lioness and the protector of small books and i love those. in fact i am writing a fanfiction.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

1272 Reviews

Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:00 pm
Rosendorn says...

Ooooo, on which book? Is it posted? *Edit* Never mind! I found it.

I would really recomend Immortals, but if you've read Protector of the Small some stuff might be spoiled already.

Immortals are my favourites (can you tell?), even though I devoured Terrier (500+ pages in one sitting). I like it when characters talk to things you normally wouldn't expect. Like animals or the elements. Magic where you can do just about anything has been done so often it's lost its touch for me.

Mind you, having said that I should also say I've read In the Hand of the Goddess so often I have the plot, scenes and some lines memorized........

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:29 pm
Kaylyn says...

I have read everything except immortals. thats because our library dont have it. :(
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

1272 Reviews

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:15 pm
Rosendorn says...

Wow. Is it possible to do a city-wide search? You might be able to order it. Or, it might be time to put those on your Christmas list. Once you're done you can donate them!

One thing I'm really looking forward to (the ties in with Immortals) is Numair: the early years. It's not coming out until 2011 though. *grumbles*

Any favourite books? Mine are: In the Hand of the Goddess, In the Realm of the Gods and Lady Knight. Although I love a scene in Page where Kel and Neal are the first to arrive at the little exams and he said he wouldn't trade her friendship for anything in the world. Then he says: "You are an education, Keldry of Minderlan." She replies: "I'm not sure that's a compliment." Neal: "Neither am I." Kel points her finger into his chest, "You will pay for that, on the practice courts." Owen and some others have joined them. Owen clamed Neal solomly on the shoulder and says: "It's been nice knowing you."

I think the whole thing is around page 80 in Page.

Yeah, I memorize books.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:21 am
Thealyn Rosewolf says...

I have everything that Tamora Pierce has every written. I was even fortunate enough to meet her and get some of my books signed, but she hasn't been back to an area that I can actually get to. :cry:

I've been reading her books since I was about eleven, and I am still a big fan. I have her website on as one of my favorite places. I am always so anxious for her new books.

Protector of the Small is my favorite, then Song of the Lioness. Who doesn't love Neal and George?!
"I can't stop drinking coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the walking and the standing and the words-putting-into-sentence doing."- Gilmore Girls

1272 Reviews

Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:06 pm
Rosendorn says...

No idea. But Dom is probably my favourite. Blue eyes, I love 'em! You can guess who's next on my list then. :wink: Although I don't like Jon in Woman Who Rides Like a Man.

After that it's Neal, then George. I tend to have a wit like Neal (I come by it honestly, almost every day there is a bad pun in my house!) and the sarcasum, yeah, I have that too. :oops:

I want to get into the Circle universe, but I just haven't been reading that much. Tamora Peirce in particular effects my work when I want it to be just me speaking.

My favourite is probably Emperor Mage, or In the Hand of the Goddess, or Terrier, or.... You get the picture.

So lucky that you met her! I still haven't looked up that interview, but I will! I've read an interview done by Powells.com, but other then that I don't know much about her.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson