z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:02 am
ChernobyllyInclined says...

I am officially affronted. There should not be someone who considers himself/herself a writer who does not at least understand Dickens. Great Expectations was slower than some of his other works but it was decidedly brilliant--if any of you can create a character as vivid as Dickens I'll take it all back. And the description was absolutely beautiful.

Anyhow, probably the worst book I've ever read would have to be "Practical Ethics" by Peter Singer. Simply despicable. And, I know, I know, this is meant to be for fiction but no one specified so I took it upon myself to expose Singer as a complete imbecile.
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:50 pm
Kepe says...

I hated Last of the Mohicans. The majority of the book is filled with boring description about the forest, and when the action does come it is totally pointless.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 pm
Kaylyn says...

I love Twilight, Harry Potter's okay, and Eragon is okay. Atemis Fowl is boring until you get into but its not bad. Okay anyways Bach to topic. Lord of the Flies is the worst book, or maybe Antigone(but thats a play) Its so gruesome and unrealistic!
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:08 am
JC says...

Unrealistic???

But Twilight and Eragon are?
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:07 am
Insomnia says...

Sam wrote:- Anything Jodi Picoult and/or Lurlene McDaniel.

I love you for saying that. :lol: I read a book by Jodi Picoult called Nineteen Minutes. Everyone I ever talked to about it loved it, but I hated her writing style and characters. I don't know why everyone raves about her.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:41 am
Anonamuse says...

The HP series is one that I can't pick up and read again, alone with all the Twilight books. I'm sorry, but I can't pick them up again, my brain won't let me. Nor can I read The Sword of Truth series again, or Eragon.

Sadly I can't finish LoTR, however I liked LoTF, but thats just me. I have a few other books that I condem myself for reading now, but I can't remember the titles at the moment.
Apartment 37 where flying cell phones, and burnt frying pans are the norm.

"Tinks a disneyCENSOR"

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:13 pm
Clo says...

I just thought of an author I can't stand.

Nora Roberts. With her red, red hair and pinched lips... glaring up at me from the back cover....

...sometimes writing as JD ROBB! :?
How am I not myself?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:49 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Just found another. The Hollow Kingdom. The author has an idea of how to describe characters, but it didn't work. This is what (s)he did, not a quote:

Her green eyes shot a glare at him. Her long, brown hair hung over her shoulders. Her long, slender body stood still...

(S)He has an idea of how to do it, but it all was at once and it was very obvious what (s)he was trying to do.

And you know they're bad when I don't remember if (s)he was a guy or a girl.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:59 am
Anonamuse says...

I loved The Hollow Kingdom I think it's wonderful. As long as we are thinking about the same books. Although thinking about it, you're right, the describtions were a little forced.
Apartment 37 where flying cell phones, and burnt frying pans are the norm.

"Tinks a disneyCENSOR"

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:23 am
listeningforthemuse says...

The worst book I ever read...

Its a close tie between 'Mermaid Park' and 'The Communist Manifesto'.
Never read either.
"...she was a lovely lady, with a romantic mind and such a sweet mocking mouth..."

- 'Peter Pan' by J.M. Barrie

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:05 am
View Likes
Clo says...

Mermaid Park? Sounds curious... Mermaids flapping around on land....
How am I not myself?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 am
Sunny says...

Anonamuse wrote:The HP series is one that I can't pick up and read again, alone with all the Twilight books. I'm sorry, but I can't pick them up again, my brain won't let me. Nor can I read The Sword of Truth series again, or Eragon.

Same with me on the HP and Eragon. I read the first few books of HP but never really finished the second one... And I only read the first page of Eragon and stopped. Now, with Twilight...that's a bit different...I loved it. But now that I think about it the whole 'girl in love with a vampire' is getting old. And I've never heard of The Sword of Truth series. =)

Anyways... The worst book I've every actually read is Seven-Day magic by Edward Eager. Nobody has probably ever even heard of that. But I had to read it for school for AR points...it was sooo boring. Another book is 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson. I could just never get into it. And ANOTHER one is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld just never got into it. I picked up one of his other novels, So Yesterday, and only read half of it and then I couldn't read it anymore I was bored.

That's all for now!

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 am
Moony says...

haha, well... actually... I can't stand Wuthering Heights or Pride and Prejudice, I just couldn't get in to them as much as I could with other books and it isn't so much of the fact tham I'm only 13, no it is the fact that I think neither of them were thought out and planned as much as they should have been and personally I think Mr. Darcy is hardly a believable character and Catherine in Wuthering Heights scares me... *shudders*

a tip---

read The Bell Jar!

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm
artistpersona says...

I would have wanted to say Twilight once upon a time (so cliché! ew, romance!), but I decided to give the series another chance a few weeks ago and actually enjoyed the second book (and third). It's the same with the Inheritance Cycle and Harry Potter. Eragon is terribly unoriginal, but the writing (in my opinion at least) is quite good, and Eldest is much better. The HP books do get better, the first book is like an introduction to Rowling's wizard world.
Just give them a chance and you might like these books, people.

The Lord of the Rings is boring. I've been struggling through the Fellowship for two years now (I have about three more chapters and can't get myself to reading them). But I'm still a major LotR fangirl. :P And by gum, I loved The Hobbit.

Anyways, let's see if I can think of any books I really disliked...
I don't know the title or the author's name, but when my brother and I where younger our mom read us this terrible book. It was about a cow that wandered around eating grass and got a milking stool put on her head for being a good cow. Then she died.
Most of it was descriptions of the lush grasses.
We always called it The Boring Cow Book.

Before I Die by Jenny Something was pretty bad. It's about this girl named Tess who's dying of cancer and has a list of things she wants to do before she dies. Some of it was okay, I guess, but the MC's attitude irritated me.

Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart... that one's... stupid. But that's what you get when you read one of those girly teen books. *dies of shame*

On Writing by Steven King wasn't especially that good in my opinion, but I can't put it on a worst book list. It was pretty interesting to read about the popular authors history, but I disagree with most of his views on writing and he has such a sarcastic attitude (really, does there need to be that much swearing in one book?).

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:59 pm
Fellow says...

The worst book(s) ever read by me - Narnia series. I finished all 7 off them in 2 days -.-` and i had hard time following the action and the characters... :roll:
Life is a song. You just need to know how to sing it.

topic35881.html - Need reviews? Click!

It's crazy how your life can be twisted upside down inside out and around and you can get sushi from safeway still looking like a normal person
— starchild314