z

Young Writers Society

American Psycho

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:58 am
lucafont90 says...

Just finished this pretty graphic novel an hour or so ago and must say that I was quite impressed by the level of writing. Ellis is indeed an original. Though the novel is filled with sex, murder, and the macabre, it is all at once a satire of the 1980's.

The story is told through the eyes of Patrick Bateman, who also appeared in Ellis' previous novel, The Rules of Attraction. He works at Price and Price by day, but works as a serial killer at night.

All in all, the novel is fairly good, though it is not my favorite.
I am a published author with two novels on the market.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:43 pm
Clo says...

My boyfriend made me watch the movie of this book, and I was really disappointed with it. Now I'm a little wary of the book - it's not the gore, violence and sex that deterred me (that made it INTERESTING). I was just really upset with the ambiguous ending. It just seemed like no effort was put into it.

Of course, that was the movie. But like I said, it puts me off to the book. Maybe I shooould give it a chance...
How am I not myself?

Reviews: 4
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:08 am
View Likes
Kakburken says...

The book is very different from the movie. First of all, the gore is tenfold worse. Really, the movie is nothing compared to it.

I really like American Psycho since mr. Ellis succeeds so well in making Bateman into a true psychopath. The first person view point really brings out his rabid perfectionism and callous attitude towards his world and the people around him. While Patrick knows a great deal of things in great detail and can keep up a flawless exterior he's completely lost when it comes to basic emotions. He doesn't feel, he acts because he knows he should. I think that's a great achievement of the author.

Sure, the book can get a little bit slow from time to time, but the more trippy chapters are really amusing to read. The authors sense of humor is awesome. Just take the character's clothes. They're described at great length and detail, and made to sound so sophisticated and classy. In reality they would look ridiculous. :lol:
'Cause baby I´m a lazy thrillseeker, I hang at home watching horror movies while you're in the dark dropping smiley groovies.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 am
Icaruss says...

Both the movie and the book are fantastic. Hilarious, stuff. Tell me the sex scene in the movie is not the funniest thing ever.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 am
Jordan Lacroix says...

I have already watched the movie, enjoyed it very much, I just started reading the novel but damn the writing is sooo descriptive! especially the part when he's just getting ready in the morning like damn, but I guess it's just showing character development; showing off how observant he is which shows how crazy he really is. I will finish this soon, I hope, some parts are pretty damn disturbing, a lot worse than the movie's adaption.
"Love can be seen even through the darkest of times" - The Spiteful Figure.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:21 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I love this book. I'm reading it right now and I want to go out and buy American Psycho posters and hang them on my wall and wear American psycho t-shirts.
I LOVED the description... I nearly cried when he described the numb feeling he got when he saw everyone else's business card. It was humorous, sad and painfully true to character.
And the GORE. It's REAL gore. I have not seen the movie but it would have to be rated NC17 at least to contain everything the book does. And it's so eerily true, to the very last detail...my favorite scene was when bateman and his girlfriend went to Pierce's house. I almost felt sympathetic for him, during those agonizing days.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; but the valiant will never taste of death but once."
— Julius Caesar