z

Young Writers Society

'To Kill a Mockingbird'

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm
Lauren says...

Ah, yes, I adore 'Jane Eyre' too. The latter and TKAM are very different though, don't you think? TKAM is subtle, and I suppose takes maturity to fully appreaciate (I'm probably just not there yet!) whereas JA's very dramatic.
It'd be interesting to know if those who like TKAM are into 'The Old Man and the Sea' (or any of Hemingway, for that matter). That's another classic that I found extremely dull and just too philosophical when I did it for school.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:56 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Ugh, I hated Old Man and The Sea. Personally, I think Jane Eyre is a lot more dull than TKAM - Harper Lee's writing is simpler in my mind, easier to follow. Jane Eyre is more difficult simply because of the time period it was written in.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I had to read it for my summer reading project. It took me a few weeks to read it. I hated it. Some parts were interesting but it went like that the entire story: boring, interesting, boring, interesting, etc. I'm so glad I finally finished it--the Southern dialect was hard to read and I didn't really find the characters all that interesting.

I've never read any of those books you guys just talked about; I was going to read the Count of Monte Cristo instead of this one but it came down to which one was shorter. I'm not much of a classics fan anyway; this book, Old Yeller, Sounder and Anne of Green Gables are the only ones I've ever read. I hated Old Yeller, liked Sounder and loved Anne of Green Gables.

I was in chat once and people were talking about Mr.Darcy. I asked who was he and they told me he was from one of Jane Austen's books (Pride and Prejudce, I think). :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:04 am
kevinxd18 says...

To Kill a Mockingbird is easily one of my favorite books. I had to read it for school. It is a definite classic. I found myself being drawn into this book, that other books rarely do. I would read so far ahead, i just had to finish it.
"Let you alone! That's all very well, but how can I leave myself alone? We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:28 pm
Ross says...

I *heart* To Kill A Mockingbird. Let me tell you my reasons:

1. The voice is described in impeccable detail. I actually knew the narrator before I had even started on the second chapter. It was that good.

2. Scout describes everything in such vivid imagery that it's hard not to picture it.

3. As for the "boring parts," every thriller or romance needs an easy, slow spot after a passionate sex scene or a shooting in City Hall. Harper Lee is a master at this.

4. The stakes are described in heart-wrenching heights. Most of it is internal: When Bob Ewett spits in Atticus's face and he does not turn the other cheek, there is no hope for the nobility of mankind. If Tom Robinson is imprisoned after Atticus's moving speech, the justice system needs to be fixed.

5. Lee writes the characters with intimacy that it's hard NOT to be symphaetic with them.

Grade for TKAM: A+
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:00 am
A Flawed Paradise says...

I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything already said here, I just skimmed through the other posts briefly, you see. Anyways, I personally didn't like the book very much. I do think it is a classic... just not for our generation. It’s funny, I said that to my English teacher and she went all "Oh no you didn't!' on me. She got as far as implying that I was full of 'dung', arrogant, and ignorant. I told how I understood how much of an impact it had on her generation, and that, because of that, it could be considered a classic. However, I said, that our generation would not take to it as much for the simple reason that the story of racism has been heard by us about a hundred in our youth, so we’re not be roused by this one single book. I said that I imagined that in her generation the book was the first of many to come to speak up against racism and make it obvious how wrong it was.

I told her that this generation, however, was already very tolerant of different races (for the most part, I would hope so) and that since childhood we've been exposed to other books and movies, a new medium of story telling, that expressed and taught us how wrong it was. As well, how in school were contestably taught how to be more open-minded. So, by the time we reach the To Kill a Mocking Bird, the story seems clichéd to some extent.

Her response was that the book did not only deal with racism, which, at this point, I cut her off and said that I knew that. I said I knew that the book also talked of innocence and corruption, of mob mentality, and I mentioned some other stuff as well, then told her this too had become clichéd by our generation.

Anyways, it was a long dragged out argument but those are my major points and feelings about the book. Not to belittle racism, but like I said, it’s been heard by us numerous times. It's a classic, for sure, just not as appealing to me as people make it out to me, as I'm sure many in our generation.
Our world is a flawed paradise, filled with flawed perfection, and created by a flawed, omniscient creator. So what chance do we have of creating flawless art?

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:03 am
A Flawed Paradise says...

P.S I also realized that one of the characters was modeled, after Harper Lee's friend and author of "In Cold Blood", which, I think, was a much better novel than "To Kill a Mockingbird". I thought the cameo was nice though ^^
Our world is a flawed paradise, filled with flawed perfection, and created by a flawed, omniscient creator. So what chance do we have of creating flawless art?

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:12 pm
keirab says...

I LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird. Best book of all time. Well, maybe not of all time, but it's still one of my favorites.
Sgt: Now, it's quite simple to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana. First of all you force him to drop the banana; then, second, you eat the banana, thus disarming him. You have now rendered him 'elpless.
Palin: What if he's got a bunch?

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 pm
Rodhead says...

I read "To Kill A Mocking Bird" for English last year. I absolutely loved this book. I think it made an impact on me. I had never really thought about racism before and wasnt aware that the conditions in America in th 1930's were this bad with slave labour. I felt so sorry for Tom Robinson. Atticus Finch is my hero, i aspire to be like him. He is a very intelligent man and is not afraid to fight for what he believes in. Even though racism is the main theme and is a quite hot and heavy subject to read about, the book has humerous and ligh hearted parts to it, which makes it entertaining.

I loved this book very much so and would advise everyone to read it
Impossible is a word to be found in a dictionary of fools- M. Thatcher

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

To Kill a Mockingbird is a great book. I was forced by my mother to read it in sixth grade, and I still loved it.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 pm
Sohini says...

I loved it too.

The point of view and the innocent but wise insights Scout makes are great.

I especially enjoyed the whole Boo Radley incident.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:42 pm
Ducati says...

I loved it when I was younger but know not so much. I think I read it just at the right time. Jane Eyre is better, and whoever said it was boring, I can't understand. I literally couldn't put it down.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:39 pm
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

I liked TKAM, but it's not really one of my favorites. It was just a little too dry for me.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:55 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

I haven't tried Jane Eyre, but I can't seem to get into English literature. Pride and Prejudice and Charles Dickens both bored me. I thought the narrative was dry and the topics superficial.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:06 pm
LilyJamey says...

Oh you MUST read Jane Eyre! It seriously made me cry at the part where she reaches the crossroads. Don't think I'm a wimp, it was just really, really sad.

I read TKAM about two years ago, and have been rereading it ever since. I reread it about 8 times already (which isn't much, I know), because it's amazing. Frankly, I've never read a book about racial discrimination. My country isn't particularly loud on the subject. My least favourite part was the part where she puts herself in Boo's shoes. I dunno why.
Got YWS?

Life is like a bag of potatoes, it starts out rough, but can turn into something beautiful (and yummy).
— Ley