z

Young Writers Society

King Dork by: Frank Portman

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:13 pm
Monki says...

I just wanted to know if King Dork by: Frank Portman is a good book or not. Reviews of this book would be appreciated. :)

Also, what reading level would you think this book is at?
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 pm
Phindin says...

I think I got a little less than halfway through and stopped. I didn't like it much.

It's pretty standard as far as YA is concerned. You have your quasi-loser kid who lives a quasi-loser life until stuff starts happening that transcends the quasi-loser stuff. You will also develop a keen understanding of the kid's weird music tastes and just how much he hates hippies and Catcher in the Rye.

Seriously, though, there is a lot of stuff about music and bands and such. I kind of saw it as a way for the author to vent about his weird personal likes/dislikes, but hey maybe he thinks the complete opposite of his protag. Somehow I doubt it, though.

As for the reading level… pretty much the same as most YA books. I don't remember that well, though, since I read it like a year ago.
"Buy, buy, buy, buy; sell, sell, sell
How well you've learned to not discern;
Who's foe and who is friend,
We'll own them all in the end."

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung